Tie bar and other braces

twister8008

Omaha, NE, but I am a Wisconsinite
Vehicle Model
Civic SI
Body Style
Coupe
Good morning. I pulled the trigger and decided to order MOOG bushings sway bar bushings and a 24mm progress sway bar. I haven't seen much on here about braces and tie bars. I don't track my vehicle, but I am a fan of wrapping corners, and I love a stiff chassis. I currently have an HFP suspension. I was reading that H braces cause too much understeer s and tie bars were recommended. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Reactions: Nix
I've read in many places around this forum that this is a really good mod to greatly improve handling, especially for the price. So good buy! :thumb:

Reactions: Nix
I bought a Beaks tie bar, but it's mainly for show. Not sure how much performance it will give.

image.jpg

Ya, the beaks bar wont do much but it does look good. The progress rear sway, you will feel a huge improvement right away. There is not much other bracing that the civic chassis needs. It's very stiff already. A lot of the H-braces won't do too much to change the handling of the car. Same with the tie bars. Get them if you like the looks but don't expect too much from them. None of the race teams run them, which is usually a great place to look and see what works and what doesn't. If they aren't running it, it ain't helping.

My wifes car has the HFP suspension and I think it really drives great with it. It's not overly stiff and jarring but coming from stock its a great much tighter feel. My setup is a lot stiffer, and yes it has much less body roll, but it is a little too much for DDing and long trips. I deal with it though. I think you'll find the progress bar paired with the HFP kit to be just about perfect.

It will show you how bad your tires are!

Yup. With the upgraded suspension it will be much easier to push the limits of the car. The less body roll with make you feel like you can corner much faster, which you can, and you will probably find the limits of your tires faster.

Tires are the ultimate limiter of cornering ability. A set of high performance tires will do more for you than anything else. The rear sway just improves the feel of the car so much for a cheap price. Sway bar for $200 or less or a new set of $700-1000 tires? Run your stock tires till they are beat then upgrade.

What do you mean exactly? Sliding? squealing?

I'm taking the liberty to answer that....... I think he means that he'll find himself going around corners faster than before with the new set-up, so now he's out driving his tyres.........

Thanks. I'm so looking forward to putting my sway bar and tie bar on. Now if it would only stop snowing.

I have all 5 braces and sways with HFP and it handles like a dream...

I have 24mm rear away bar from eibach and I absolutely love the feel. Way less body roll then stock and I corner better. Install on the Si was pain though frayzerboy had to do it actually lol but I love it all the way! Soon front away bar when I decide i have enough time to mess with it!

Upgrading the front sway will make it handle worse.

There is a difference between handling and rotating well and the car just being planted and feeling like its on rails. Depends on what you want. If anything a smaller front sway will improve the cornering ability. Lessen the understeer.

I'm with you nix,I just wanted stability,which I thought was **** when the car was stock,I don't plan on racing or auto cross but I do like the added stability.

Back