Tracking vs racing, what's the differences?

Tracking is commonly known as DEs or HPDEs aka High Performance Driving Events. They are essentially driving schools. The primary goal of these is for people to safely explore the limits of their car, learning skills regarding driving towards the limits of the car, and progressing with skills obtained on a racetrack. They are normally done with a certified instructor in the passenger seat who can safely help you progress towards being more proficient.
There is no overtaking without a point-by from the car in front. If people dont follow the rules then they are ejected from the event. Costs range from $100/day - $600/wknd. Usual fees are $250/day $400/wknd. Instructors are not paid, but often get a rebate or a reduced entry fee.

There are numerous "run groups" where the drivers are assigned according to ability/experience.

Racing is competitive, where cars race to win.

Time trials are not wheel to wheel racing. They are competitive events where people go against the clock.

AutoX is not racing. It's a timed event, usually in a large parking lot or airfield with cones set up to mark out the course. Entrants have between 4-8 runs (depending on regions/sanctioning body). Entrants have two commitments: Working and Running. Working is out in the lot, doing "cone calls" if someone hits a cone (1sec penalty per cone) or DNF runs where they miss out a part of the course, as well as replacing moved cones. Running is where you are doing the driving, and the cars are lined up, and then released one at a time to attack the course. It's a good entry level way of learning car control.

Last edited:
I use to do that back in the 60/70's while stationed in England, we called them gymkhana's or time trials, GC with cones, and TT's when on a track, one car is sent out every 10 sec.'s .......... No instructors in those days.

I did take a 3 day instructed class for my MC in the 80's though............... either is well worth it........

Wow. Lots of good info there. Tracking is kind of interesting me now. Be kinda embarrassing I still can't heel toe the Si though. Gave up trying tbh.

HT downshifting is important to practice on the street at low speeds. Nothing like getting in the car to instruct with a guy doing 120 in a porsche and having him attempt it for the first time in a heavy braking zone.. (don't ask me how I know,lol)

There's lots of videos on youtube explaining how to do it.

I wish I could get on track somewhere and drive nice and slow like I do....

HT downshifting is important to practice on the street at low speeds. Nothing like getting in the car to instruct with a guy doing 120 in a porsche and having him attempt it for the first time in a heavy braking zone.. (don't ask me how I know,lol)

There's lots of videos on youtube explaining how to do it.
Yeah I've seen the videos and tried a few times but I end up braking way too hard usually. Are the pedals in these cars good for heel toeing? Any tips?

Wow. Lots of good info there. Tracking is kind of interesting me now. Be kinda embarrassing I still can't heel toe the Si though. Gave up trying tbh.
I think that has a lot to do with the pedals not being set up for it......... racers will have the pedals adjusted, our cars are not adjustable, as they come from the factory.

Last edited:
out of all the manual trans cars i've driven, i find Honda's pedal spacing on their manual transmissions to be among the best for heel and toeing. it takes practice to get the technique down, but if you wanna do any tracking, it's definitely something you need to know.

btw, for heel and toeing, my favorite cars were those with floor mounted accelerators like the 8th gen civic and the BMWs.

btw, for heel and toeing, my favorite cars were those with floor mounted accelerators like the 8th gen civic and the BMWs.
My best car was my Triumph Mark III Spitfire(68), what I liked about it was, that my legs lay straight out, not like sitting in a elevated chair, and a tight seat belt (didn't have these moving belts then). So I didn't have to use my legs/body to keep me planted...........I would heel the gas and toe the brake(not everyone does it the same though). Like anything we can adapt, but custom adjustment is sweet.

Back