Tsx 15s on a r18 civic

kapicarules

I found out last night my stock brakes are crap trying to stop from highway speed to almost a dead stop (rotors got red hot too) and after some research the 06-08 acura tsx caliper and rotor fits my car (it's been done on si's and I believe the si brakes are similar or the same to the ex brakes so the tsx brakes are the same). The fronts should bolt right up and I also wanna do a tsx disc brake conversion too to get rid of my drums but that involves swapping the ebrake cable and that's gonna be a lotta work. Can you guys confirm the tsx front brakes bolt on without major modifications on a r18 civic? I attached a pic of the rotors red hot after doin a hard stop from almost 90 mph to 0 near my house. The brake pedal was on the floor and were so spongy. I plan on also doing an si master cylinder in the future but not until I do the tsx brake swap.
7b2b6e7430c47a1710f3bddc3792a330.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Whoops made a typo on the title. Meant to say tsx brakes not tsx 15s

brake fade too can be from brake pad material, when was the last time you also bleed your brake lines, this can the mushy brakes you feel too? Should be done every 2 years...

I am happy with my brake setup, with cold brakes it takes about 5 hard stops (back to back) from 80 to start feeling some fade then at 8 stops they are fading but still stopping the car. If i press the pedal harder abs will still kick in.

I have the LX with rear drums, so front rotors are smaller then the EX... Went with AutoZone GT brake pads in the front, semi metallic brake shoes in the rear, Amsoil DOT 3/4 fluid. Slotted R1 Concepts Geomet rotors and adjusted the rear brake shoes are closer to the drum and the hand brake hold the car at 3 clicks. Also my brake pedal is really firm especially for drum brakes

From what I'm seeing, the 06 tsx rotor is 259.79mm in diameter. That's 10.2279528 inches in diameter. The 9th gen front r18 rotors appear to be 262.0mm diameter, so the 9th gen is actually larger.

Fade can be from your actual brake fluid you're running as well. I have no idea what year your car is or how old the fluid is in yours? Brake fluid continues to absorb water over time, and you need to flush it. You can run a higher temp brake fluid, but you also have to change it more frequently, as it is more prone to water absorption. You may want to check this thread.
9thcivic.com/forum/threads/what-brake-rotors-do-yall-recommend.15337/
http://9thcivic.com/forum/threads/brake-fluid-recommendations.6852/

from someone who does a lot of track events -
Not much to add.

Flush once a year and be wary of the higher BP fluids being more hygroscopic.

I use Motul RBF600. Easily obtainable as it's primarily used on race bikes.

From what I'm seeing, the 06 tsx rotor is 259.79mm in diameter. That's 10.2279528 inches in diameter. The 9th gen front r18 rotors appear to be 262.0mm diameter, so the 9th gen is actually larger.

Fade can be from your actual brake fluid you're running as well. I have no idea what year your car is or how old the fluid is in yours? Brake fluid continues to absorb water over time, and you need to flush it. You can run a higher temp brake fluid, but you also have to change it more frequently, as it is more prone to water absorption. You may want to check this thread.
9thcivic.com/forum/threads/what-brake-rotors-do-yall-recommend.15337/
http://9thcivic.com/forum/threads/brake-fluid-recommendations.6852/

from someone who does a lot of track events -
Thought the tsx ones are bigger. What about the si or ex rotors and calipers? Are those bigger?

nix used tsx calipers on his r18 with brembo blanks.
http://9thcivic.com/forum/threads/r18-civic-ex-brake-upgrade.14957/

the 2012 tsx used 300mm rotors from what I'm seeing, so 11.8". 300mm is what's on the 12 civic si. I don't know what wheels you have on your car, but upgrading to larger rotors/calipers can cause clearance issues on your wheels.
Yea I read somewhere that the tsx rotor is bigger but only on the 2012 ones it seems.

Lol the stock ones yes they work but not all well under high heat

sorry my comment about that pic was related to squiggy saying he thought nix never got those rotors/calipers installed. My link was to the pic of nix's brake setup with upgraded pads/rotors/etc in that post.

sorry my comment about that pic was related to squiggy saying he thought nix never got those rotors/calipers installed. My link was to the pic of nix's brake setup with upgraded pads/rotors/etc in that post.
I want to mock up with used parts first before buying new stuff so I know what needs to be fixed or not

I want to mock up with used parts first before buying new stuff so I know what needs to be fixed or not

how old is the brake fluid in your car? If you've never changed it, what year is your car?

I don't ever recall him saying he was having issues. He was still praising the brembo blanks in 2017
http://9thcivic.com/forum/threads/what-brake-rotors-do-yall-recommend.15337/#post-417081

I mixed up swaps...he had an issue with the rear drum to disc conversion.

From nix regarding the front swap: "i didnt have an si so when i tried to use the tl-s master cylinder it wouldn't clear my cowl. You needed to swap the si reservoir. I didn't know that the non-si res was different.

Other than that it was straightforward. Long pedal travel due to the small mc vs the new larger pistons in the tsx caliper."

yeah I wasn't even thinking about the rear drums he had.

Back