Ultimate Racing Downpipe and Exhaust Review

Modifier
Chicago
Vehicle Model
Civic Si
Body Style
Sedan
Hello all!

I have recently installed an Ultimate Racing 3" high-flow metal catted downpipe, paired to the UR 3" exhaust with secondary muffler option. This is a review of quality, installation, sound & drivability, and power. I hope it helps anyone considering purchasing these products!

Some things i want to mention that made this an easy choice for me:
  • These products are made in the US, not overseas.
  • UR offers a 5 year limited warranty! (good luck getting that from an offshore brand)
  • I was assured that all their products have been tested for months on the dyno, street, and even in professional racing.
First, read the review.
Then, check out all the pics and videos below!

Downpipe
First, I'd like to review the downpipe.
I'd like to say that although i went with the metal cat option, UR offers 3 different options:
Metal Cat
Ceramic Cat
Catless
Quality
I went for the metal cat option, as I read this would provide a little more airflow and a lot better durability/longevity compared to the ceramic cat (and only $50 more)
The quality was impressive!
As this was one of my first mods about a year ago, i didn't take any of my own pictures of the packaging or out of the box, but did include some from UR themselves at the bottom.
But I'd like to point out that this downpipe has an additional wideband O2 bung and plug built in!
Installation
Installation was easy, the hardest part being removing the stock downpipe.
I found that the two piece set up (compared to most others being a single piece) actually helped with installation. [finish]
Sound & Drivability
The sound produced by the downpipe is great, not too much louder, but definitely gives a much deeper tone to the exhaust. No extra vibrations or cabin drone that I could tell, except when you really step on it.
Performance
My first mod was an intake and I felt a slight improvement in power, and the same with the exhaust I installed shortly after. But those didn't compare to the amount of power that was released by swapping the downpipe! Besides the high end power, I felt a huge difference in the amount of power put down when starting from a stop.

Exhaust
Second, the exhaust.
Let me point out that although i went with the 4" rolled tip option, there are actually 6 different tips available!
3.5" Rolled Tip
4" Single Wall Polished Tip (Angle Cut)
4" Rolled Polished Tip (Angle Cut)
4" Single Wall Titanium Tip (Angle Cut)
3" Downward Angled Tip
4" Downward Angled Tip
Quality
Again, very high quality. That's especially apparent in the welds and the polish.
The muffler sections were a bit heavy, but the piping was light.
The tip is EXACTLY what i wanted. An OEM looking, polished and rolled tip.
It looks beautiful under the bumper, not your typical single-walled fart can.
Installation
Installation of any exhaust is straight forward, but UR but the gaskets and bolts in their proper places on the exhaust (just loosely) and didnt just throw everything in a bag as usual. I thought that made it quicker to install because the all the required hardware was already in the right place there when you needed it.
Sound & Drivability
Again, this was exactly what i wanted from an aftermarket exhaust.
The sound is deep but very quiet with the secondary muffler, but only until you step on it.
At WOT, it is a loud, throaty beast! The videos below will attest to that fact.
The secondary muffler does keep almost all the drone out of the cabin, which is perfect because i do like to hear my exhaust, but it's not loud at all.
Performance
It's still unbelievable how i could get a quiet, comfortable noise level while cruising but still get all the performance from a 3" exhaust. The power is very evident, throttle response and thrownbackinyourseat-ness was greatly improved.
This exhaust, even with the mufflers, is still a performance-orientated 3" straight-through design, so anyone thinking you'd be comprising power, you're definitely not!
Pictures
Downpipe pics from UR
cTQCGoSl.jpg

Here is a good picture showing how the downpipe has an additional wideband bung and plug built in.
AQUKDI2l.jpg

Installed
awylH7gl.jpg

U5nPoBkl.jpg

velFwAfl.jpg

And the exhaust!
Great packaging
zMKmIQIl.jpg

Beautiful Tip!
VnNw2Mel.jpg

UR exhaust (left) compared to another aftermarket (Tsudo) exhaust on the right.
The difference in quality is abundantly clear.
c78WLK2l.jpg

That tip installed!
Tigo75Hl.jpg

Secondary muffler fits perfectly
Y5C54dnl.jpg

MMLOYXTl.jpg

Don't mind the dust
CePI9Lhl.jpg

38vkQ42l.jpg

Scraped it a little on the first day :) oooops...
GM5VFgMl.jpg

Videos

Take off

View: http://youtu.be/LEgrJq0PF0o

Slow pass by

View: http://youtu.be/ojaj_E9yVDc

Fast pass by

View: http://youtu.be/0-61Xhkc4ag

Windows open, 1st gear pull

View: http://youtu.be/ug96ubRjSJ4

Windows open, 2nd gear, half pull

View: http://youtu.be/qeBI-43mAVo

Driving, windows up

View: http://youtu.be/piC1nnU1DR0

Conclusion
In conclusion, i would recommend this exhaust and downpipe combo to anyone. Ultimate Racing offers so any different exhaust options that can appeal to anyone, no matter what you are looking for in an aftermarket exhaust. Their products are of the best quality and their customer service was great! It was a pleasure working with them!

If you have any questions of requests of photos, etc. feel free to ask and i'll do my best to answer!

Last edited:
Is the cabin a lot quieter with this setup than with the tsudo exhaust? Do you think they would be about the same without that secondary muffler? I like to take road trips and the tsudo without the silencer would not work for me, but I hate giving up the power.

Is the cabin a lot quieter with this setup than with the tsudo exhaust? Do you think they would be about the same without that secondary muffler? I like to take road trips and the tsudo without the silencer would not work for me, but I hate giving up the power.
Let me try to address everything here...
1. There is no comparison, the cabin is much much quieter.
2. They still wouldn't be the same because the UR has two full mufflers instead of the Tsudo having two small resonators.
3. Road trips with the Tsudo were a bit annoying for me, but not sure what you mean about giving up power. The UR has bigger piping so even with the mufflers it puts out more power than the Tsudo

Did I answer everything good?
Anything else, just let me know

Yes. You answered everything. I was talking about giving up power by putting the silencer in the tsudo. I might have to bite the bullet after the holidays and do the ultimate dp and exhaust too. I am pretty sure I need to dedicate myself to winning the lottery at some point soon. Doesn't even need to be the powerball, I'm good with the pick 4. Thanks for the info!

@cpro67 no problem! I would try to see if they have any black Friday deals, they did last year

You have any issue with the bolts that connect the dp to the exhaust working their way out? I was constantly having to retighten them and even lost one of a replacement bolt ur had sent me will driving. I now have locktite sprayed all over the bolts but still find myself checking and retightening them every few weeks (tho there is very little loosening now). Definitely disappointed in that aspect of quality with the ur exhaust

You have any issue with the bolts that connect the dp to the exhaust working their way out? I was constantly having to retighten them and even lost one of a replacement bolt ur had sent me will driving. I now have locktite sprayed all over the bolts but still find myself checking and retightening them every few weeks (tho there is very little loosening now). Definitely disappointed in that aspect of quality with the ur exhaust
I haven't had that problem, but I would recommend a motor mount. I have one from Hasport waiting to go on, because UR strongly recommended I get one.
They said that because the engine makes a lot more power from the downpipe and exhaust, the engine twists more and puts more stress on the exhaust system.
It's not that expensive, try it.

Great review. This is actually the same setup Im interested in, but possibly S2 downpipe. Any vids yet? Curious to here it with the secondary muffler. That the only thing Im still debating. Again, helpful info in this review thanks.

Great review. This is actually the same setup Im interested in, but possibly S2 downpipe. Any vids yet? Curious to here it with the secondary muffler. That the only thing Im still debating. Again, helpful info in this review thanks.
I am waiting for it to get warmer so the snow melts. Chicago has been having crazy snow so it would be hard to get good videos

I am waiting for it to get warmer so the snow melts. Chicago has been having crazy snow so it would be hard to get good videos
Very true. Probably better that way. I am in no position to buy NOW anyway. A good video clip might just force my hand. Have you had any issues since the install? Ive read about the welds going bad and the pipe cracking on the UR exhausts.

Very true. Probably better that way. I am in no position to buy NOW anyway. A good video clip might just force my hand. Have you had any issues since the install? Ive read about the welds going bad and the pipe cracking on the UR exhausts.
I'm surprised, I've never heard that and had no issues!

I'm surprised, I've never heard that and had no issues!

Well thats good to hear. I think ultimate racing is the way to go. I was wanted the S2 but I'm worried it'll be tooo loud and the Full Race not loud enough also the not so honda sound .... Can't wait to see more vids even though I'm sold on it already.

:rockwoot: Sounds good in the videos man, and I know it sounds even better in person! I need to get out and shoot some videos. I'm not sure if the difference in loudness will be apparent on camera though!

Back