Vibration during idle?

jayt101

Does anyone else feel a slight vibration under your feet when your idling with your 2012/2013 SI? I'm coming from a 2003 sentra, which had barely any vibrations. I noticed that the civic si vibrates slightly more underneath my feet when I'm idling. Its not a problem while I'm driving. Does anyone else experience this problem?

Thanks

Is the car idling rough at all? Take a look at your tachometer next time you're at idle. See what rpm it's sitting at

It's actually pretty steady. I believe it's just about 1000 but it does not fluctuate. The car just vibrates at my feet slightly. Do you feel this with yours?

I do not have a 9th gen to comment, but I thought you may need your rpm adjusted. I had a previous honda that started to idle at like 7-800ish. It also didn't idle smooth. It needed the rpm raised like 200rpm or something because it was idling too low. It made a huge difference. Hopefully some others can comment. I do know that you're talking about a large difference in HP between the sentra and the Si. It may have more vibration at idle versus the sentra. Others would need to chime in

I do not have a 9th gen to comment, but I thought you may need your rpm adjusted. I had a previous honda that started to idle at like 7-800ish. It also didn't idle smooth. It needed the rpm raised like 200rpm or something because it was idling too low. It made a huge difference. Hopefully some others can comment. I do know that you're talking about a large difference in HP between the sentra and the Si. It may have more vibration at idle versus the sentra. Others would need to chime in

I do notice a very slight rough idle from time to time but it's not consistent. The next time I notice I'll pay more attention to see what else is running (I.e A/C). I didn't notice it in my '12 Si.

I don't feel any vibration at idle unless I am running the AC, and than it is only slight. I actually find my SI tends to idle smoother than most 4 cylinder cars I have driven.

Also my idle speed is around 700-800 rpm.

Yea my idle speed is approximately the same after checkin this morning. I do feel slight vibrations only but the AC is not on. I guess ill have the dealer look at it

Some vibration is normal. The k24 is a relatively big motor and to help fuel economy, the idle is set as low as possible. The 200rpm difference between 800rpm and 1000rpm may seem trivial, but all other factors being equal, an 800rpm idle will use 20% less gas than a 1krpm idle. The vibrations are a result of the compromise between better fuel economy and lower NVH levels

I have a small vibration in the whole car frame but it is very smooth and not really transmitted to anything like the pedals or stick. The engine's rumble is more prominent on the 12 Si, but it is smooth. If the stick or pedals vibrate it means something is not right and there may be a small problem, gas quality, air quality or sparks or transmission or anything that uses these which is mostly all :) How is that for a nice explanation ha ha.

I would take it to a dealer if the vibration you sense is not smooth or it is strong enough to be felt and visible in a car component as in see the stick shaking a bit or the pedal vibrating.

It may just be an issue of gas, I have found that the idle does have a little vibration to it with some brands of gas, others it is smoother.

Thanks for the explanations. I wonder if it could be gas quality? I'm worried that my dealer may have put in regular 87 gasoline. The salesman i bought it from told me you only need to put in regular, which is clearly wrong. During my first fill up, I had 4 bars left and put in premium 91 gasoline from Shell. Know vibrations from the stick or pedals that I am aware of. I only feel it slightly near where the floor mats are and my seats. Passengers haven't noticed it.

Thanks for the explanations. I wonder if it could be gas quality? I'm worried that my dealer may have put in regular 87 gasoline. The salesman i bought it from told me you only need to put in regular, which is clearly wrong. During my first fill up, I had 4 bars left and put in premium 91 gasoline from Shell. Know vibrations from the stick or pedals that I am aware of. I only feel it slightly near where the floor mats are and my seats. Passengers haven't noticed it.
91 at shell? I thought they only had 93?

It's not actually regulations,... it's because a company holds patents in cali.

....snipped
Unocal, you see, has a patent on the 173 easiest ways to make California-friendly 92-octane gas. As a result, every other oil company has to pay Unocal 5.75 cents for every gallon they make using one of these techniques. They haven't actually been paying it, but that's an issue for the lawyers to sort out.

Suddenly it's pretty obvious why our gas sucks, but why doesn't Unocal still sell us 92? Because it can't. In 1997, Unocal sold off all its 76 gas stations, and with them, its ability to decide what kind of gas to make. All Unocal can do now is look for oil, suck it out of the ground, and wish it had some way to make everybody else keep using its patents. You see, not only did Unocal screw us, they screwed themselves.

Ironically, the only gas stations in California with anything better than 91 octane are the ones Unocal used to own-the few 76 stations offering 100-octane race fuel. You can locate these elusive stations at www.76.com, but bring your wallet.

I also noticed that my 2013 CIVIC LX has a vibration feeling to it when i'm stopped at a red light. Very minor, but still noticeable. I feel it in my seat lol.

i have 12 LX and i feel the vibration also... It happens randomly,sometimes it is so smooth i can barely feel it....

This is the nature of a inline 4, the Si engine is a bit smoother due to balance shafts, but all inline 4's tend to vibrate a bit at idle, it is just due to a minor imbalance that is inherent in these engines due to firing order and piston positioning. V-6's and V-8's are smoother due to more pistons that fire in a staggered pattern that tends to balance things out, also a V configuration (especially 60 degree V's) helps balance the engine.

Back