What other cars did you consider before buying your Si?

Phaheem

Southern CA
Vehicle Model
'13 Civic Si
Body Style
Sedan
Curious to know which cars everyone cross-shopped before committing to getting their Si. There's a lot of great competition out there.

For me, nothing beat the Si's value. For $25k I got Nav and all the other great tech stuff, in a practical 4-door package with the reliability of a Honda. Just can't beat that.

Sure, the GTI has more power and the new Focus ST is quick...but an Si is an Si. I bet I'll have an easier time and make more money when I sell my Si rather than a GTI in a few years; and the Focus's longevity hasn't been proven yet.

I also considered the FR-S/BRZ, but again those 2+2's just aren't practical.

Considered a focus st and a ms3. A local car site had someone that just bought a focus st and he had so many issues with it I didn't even go drive it.

The ms3 didn't work with the rear facing baby seat in the back. Interior was dated, and the new generation is coming out. The power was nice and handled good, but I bet my wife would have hated the lag.

Not a vw fan so I didn't even look at those and hate awd so no Subaru. Was an easy decision towards the si sedan I got

This is a really cool thread, I considered a lot of cars. I just became a nurse before getting my Si, my first priority was getting a car. First car I wanted was an Evo X, the insurance was going to rape me, same thing with a Benz c250 coupe. I also considered getting a BMW, I really wanted a 335 coupe, but Id like with x-drive, would have been a little too much adding insurance on top. I love the exterior on the Kia Optimas, I came really close to leasing a Optima SXL, its the one w/the direct injected turbo, leather interior, sport wheels, led drl's, basically the complete package but Idk. I was on the fence w/it being a Kia, and felt a little too much like a family car for a 22 year old. One day I was bored home (I had an 8th gen at the time) started lurking forums on the 9th gens, became a member of this site, went to the dealership a couple days later and test drove a 9th lol. Two weeks later I got into my Si, always loved Si's since I was young, don't regret it at all!! I love my Si, never been so happy with a car. And I still have money in my pocket and for parts after car payment/insurance/gas lol I love it!!

I had a 2010 charger sxt 3.5L v6. I was looking to trade it for a 2012 model. Either the new 3.6 or a 5.7 v8. So my dealership had a new sxt v6 fully loaded and I loved it. But it was 35k for either that or a RT so the payments were a little high. After saying no to that my buddy let me drive his 8th gen Si. It was quick and a lot of fun so I went to my local honda dealership and they made me a deal I couldn't refuse. I've had my Si for about a year now and still miss my charger though. So next round is going to be either a charger or camaro (preferably a v8) or a used srt8 if I can get into one.

Mk5 GTI and RSX-S were the only other cars I seriously considered back in 2007. My price range was only about 20k. I struggled to find a GTI for any less than $22k. Couple that, with the questionable VW reliable and overall bland styling and it just wasn't worth it to me. The type-S I really liked, and still do. But I wanted something that was 4 doors. I also liked the idea of owning a new car. The LSD in the Si was the deal maker. I found a 2007 FA5 brand new, for $19.5k, and haven't looked back since.

Mine were the 2007 WRX TR, 2007 MS3, or the 2007 Eclipse GT. I had the best deal on the 2007 Si. Mazda didn't want to budge on any deals even though that is the same place where my brother bought his RX-8.

I was set on a ralliart lancer, I loved it then I called my insurance to get an idea what it was gonna cost to insure... They wanted $1695 every 6 months which was more than the car payment lol so I ditched that idea. I went with the SI because my insurance company quoted the SI at the same rate as a regular r18 civic so that made me pretty happy.

Now that I'm ready to move on from my 8th gen I'm thinking 13 si but I've also considered the new body style ford fusion, frs/brz, genesis coupe, or a new mustang gt. I kinda want 4 doors so that eliminates most of these and I also want something somewhat sporty and mod friendly so that pretty much leaves me with 13 SI sedan.

I was set on a ralliart lancer, I loved it then I called my insurance to get an idea what it was gonna cost to insure... They wanted $1695 every 6 months which was more than the car payment lol so I ditched that idea. I went with the SI because my insurance company quoted the SI at the same rate as a regular r18 civic so that made me pretty happy.

Now that I'm ready to move on from my 8th gen I'm thinking 13 si but I've also considered the new body style ford fusion, frs/brz, genesis coupe, or a new mustang gt. I kinda want 4 doors so that eliminates most of these and I also want something somewhat sporty and mod friendly so that pretty much leaves me with 13 SI sedan.

Insurance is a killer, especially in jersey.

Wow everyone has considered some really nice cars, only to end up with their Civic [Si].

I've had some great cars, namely, an '02 325Ci 5MT and a '08 Cayman 5MT. I traded in the Cayman for a car for my wife when I got married, and picked up a '96 Civic DX as a daily for myself.

When shopping for my next car, I knew it had to have a manual tranny and be fun/sporty/practical/economical all at the same time.

Alas...the Civic Si Sedan. Perfect combo of all my prerequisites.
Come to find out today, that it's barely 0.5 secs slower to 60 MPH than my Cayman was (on paper).

Did some spirited canyon-carving today and the Si left me with an ear-to-ear grin. Not since my Cayman have I had such a grin.

I think I went into this purchase knowing it was going to be an Si sedan. This car is the full package.

The cars I was cross-shopping were a bit varied. In the end, I was between a Subaru Crosstrek XV and the Civic Si. I really liked the XV because I could literally go anywhere in it haha however I decided that I would VTEC around more often than I would Subaru. Plus my Si came with little niceties like navi and a sunroof that the XV didn't have at the pricepoint.

Well my parents said theyd help me out a little if i bought a new car instead of a used one - so my choice was the civic and my parents choice was the Chevy Sonic. Gross. But in the end the civic was the only one i seriously considered because i liked it and most importantly, I could afford it and the insurance on a high school senior's wages lol.

I looked at used 325i coupes before deciding I wanted a new car instead. I've always had Civics. My first was an 03 EX Coupe, traded for an 02 Si hatch, sold it and bought an 06 Si Coupe, sold it and bought a 13 Si sedan.

My goal was to get something other than a civic. I really wanted a GTI but, for what you get on the base model, it wasn't practical when compared to the Si. I tried haggling. Even told them I would never be able to sell the car for more than selling a civic and they still wouldn't budge so I walked out and drove to the Honda dealership. I'm glad I did.

I looked at used 325i coupes before deciding I wanted a new car instead. I've always had Civics. My first was an 03 EX Coupe, traded for an 02 Si hatch, sold it and bought an 06 Si Coupe, sold it and bought a 13 Si sedan.

My goal was to get something other than a civic. I really wanted a GTI but, for what you get on the base model, it wasn't practical when compared to the Si. I tried haggling. Even told them I would never be able to sell the car for more than selling a civic and they still wouldn't budge so I walked out and drove to the Honda dealership. I'm glad I did.
The GTI and other VWs are great cars...but nothing sells on the second-hand market like a Honda. Choosing the Civic puts us ahead of the game when it comes time to upgrade

Back