Whats your rpms @ 80mph

You have a 6 speed manual transmission. Helps to know what gear you are in!

Considering 3rd gear redlines around 70-85 mph (NA depending on mods) and you have three gears left, it shouldn't be surprising that you are in sixth gear doing 80 at 3500 rpms.

Gear Ratios for those interested:

1st 3.267
2nd 2.040
3rd 1.429
4th 1.073
5th 0.830
6th 0.647

so its normal ... dang !!!

in that case I get better gas mileage on the streets shifting below 4k and cruising on 6th gear... than cruising 6th gear on the freeway doing 80 ...

No way in hell you're gonna go faster in a certain gear unless you change gear ratio in the transmission or redline. You go 75 in 3rd because you moved the redline. You'd stop at 70 if you didn't move it no matter what you did - intake, throttle body, downpipe, exhaust, even a head swap to a K20Z3. You'll get to the redline faster but won't EVER get to 85 in 3rd gear unless you do something more than some bolt ons and go for drastic like swap the gears in the transmission or rebuild the motor bottom to take an 8500 rpm redline with an upgraded Z3 head.

No way in hell you're gonna go faster in a certain gear unless you change gear ratio in the transmission or redline. You go 75 in 3rd because you moved the redline. You'd stop at 70 if you didn't move it no matter what you did - intake, throttle body, downpipe, exhaust, even a head swap to a K20Z3. You'll get to the redline faster but won't EVER get to 85 in 3rd gear unless you do something more than some bolt ons and go for drastic like swap the gears in the transmission or rebuild the motor bottom to take an 8500 rpm redline with an upgraded Z3 head.
I was thinking the same thing. I have only hit 80 before bolt ons with reflash. Thats tappin' fuel cut

Duh. My mechanical brain is not working today apparently. Bolt ons, etc only get you there faster. Gears ratios don't change...and I even posted the damn things.

Last edited:
oohhh well looks like I'm going to have my buddies swap out 6th gear for something that will lower my freeway cruising rpms lower...

Most people cruise at 3-4k? I cruise at 2500-3k usually lol. 3-4k just sounds to high of an engine note for me to just cruise.
I was referring to shifting, but yeah, cruise at 2500-3k is where I am at usually.

Considering 3rd gear redlines around 70-85 mph (NA depending on mods) and you have three gears left, it shouldn't be surprising that you are in sixth gear doing 80 at 3500 rpms.
Right! 3rd tops out at about 80mph for me. I've never taken 4, 5 or 6 to redline :sadbanana:. The redline may have been changed :hail: @VitViper.

Back