Break in period

Chris S.

New Jersey
Vehicle Model
HFP SI
Body Style
Coupe
Hello everyone, I've been reading thru my manual and cant seem to find when the break in period is over. Im currently clocked at 128 miles, can someone direct me to another post that has it or have an idea when the motor is expected to be broken in?

Thanks in advance!

Monk

SW Virginia
Vehicle Model
2012 Civic EX
Body Style
Coupe FG3:ASM
There are two ways to run in a car, gradually, or drive it like you stole it(as they say).
There is more to think about than just the engine. Tyres, brakes, also need time.

Since it sounds like you want to do the gradual method, I'd work on just keeping the rpm's varied, and working your way up the rpm scale every 100 miles or so, one thing about going up in rpm's is to hold it at what your high is at that time for 10-20 sec. and to let off of it slowly, repeat. 500 - to - 1000 miles. Most new cars really don't need a lot of attention as far as rpm building(I do it anyway, old dog new tricks, etc.)

That bring us to DILYSI....... just go for it, just don't hold the rpm in one spot longer than 20 sec. until you have a few thousand on it.

As for the brakes(pads), building a layer of brake pad onto the rotor is a matter of getting up to about 50 mph, then pressing hard on the brake till you "Almost" come to a complete stop, repeat this about 7 times in a row. *** Just don't come to a complete stop as it will transfer to much of the brake pad on the rotor in one spot*** What ever you do keep an eye on your mirror, so you don't get rear-ended*** Find a road where you can do all 7 stops in a row without letting the brakes cool in between, so you can maintain the heat transfer.

Tyres are about 500 to 1000 miles, it is said that the mold that forms the tyre has some crap in it that allows the tyre to be released from the mold, and it's that crap that can cause slippery conditions until it is warn off. (It is said that some tyres don't have this issue any more, But I give e'm at least 500, since I don't push mine that hard in the 1st place).

Hope this helps............ Welcome to the forum..........

Chris S.

New Jersey
Vehicle Model
HFP SI
Body Style
Coupe
@Monk thank you so much for taking the time to explain this to me. You hit the nail right in the head as far as how I wanted to break it in. Appreciate that.