CV Axle Leak

2012blackLX

I just got my car inspected and they noticed grease leaking out of one of my axles. I can't find a tear anywhere in the boot - it just seems to be leaking out. Anybody else have this issue? I am just under 60K so I am going to try for warranty repair.

webby

Administrator
Admin
Toys For Tots
you have an extended warranty plan on your car? You may be the highest mileage 2012 out there right now. I've not seen anything regarding grease coming out of the boot.... is it on one side more than another?

SCFast

Santa Cruz,CA
Vehicle Model
Si
Body Style
Coupe
Holy cow i thought i drove allot your at 60k Damn! Is it the inner or outer boot? No tears or cracks the boot clamp must be loose can you move the boot by hand?

you have an extended warranty plan on your car?
Drivetrain is 60k i believe

SCFast

Santa Cruz,CA
Vehicle Model
Si
Body Style
Coupe
I did not know weather you were asking if he had got extended since he drove so much or if you forgot about Drivetrain LOL

SCFast

Santa Cruz,CA
Vehicle Model
Si
Body Style
Coupe
I would assume a Axle is a major component in the powertrain. to my knowladge all powertrain covers the axle's

hey_mikey

Concord, NC
Vehicle Model
Accord Sport
Body Style
Sedan
haha yeah you're right. sorry, i never had to use the warranty before so i never bothered looking up what powertrain covered.

SCFast

Santa Cruz,CA
Vehicle Model
Si
Body Style
Coupe
LOL yeah. Always keep an eye on the axle's though usually the boots will tear/crack far after the warranty expires. Hell 2 weeks ago a guy with a subie came to our meet and i told him to keep an eye on his RF boots and he reaches his had down to the inner right boot (the most common on subies right under the down pipe) and what do you know his hand comes up with tones of grease on it.

2012blackLX

I am wondering if this issue will show up on more of these cars as they build mileage. I took mine in to the dealer and they said it was covered under warranty and that they will be replacing the boot. Hopefully I haven't lost enough grease to damage it in any way. It is the outer one on the driver's side. I travel a lot for work plus I drive a lot for pleasure too. I have actually been averaging about 1500 miles a week lately.

SCFast

Santa Cruz,CA
Vehicle Model
Si
Body Style
Coupe
I am wondering if this issue will show up on more of these cars as they build mileage. I took mine in to the dealer and they said it was covered under warranty and that they will be replacing the boot. Hopefully I haven't lost enough grease to damage it in any way. It is the outer one on the driver's side. I travel a lot for work plus I drive a lot for pleasure too. I have actually been averaging about 1500 miles a week lately.
I am sure you have not lost allot of grease it would be slung and caked all around if you did and usually even if the boot were torn the actual joint still holds some grease it is when grit gets in that you have major problems and cannot just rebuild but have to replace the axle.

2012blackLX

Update: They determined that the boot was not torn but the axle had started making some noise so they are replacing the axle. The grease apparently was leaking around the clamp that held the boot on.

promar93

Ruskin, Florida
Vehicle Model
'12 Civic Si SOP
Body Style
Sedan
I can now add that my 2012 Si is getting a warranty repair for a leaking CV. I have 34,500 miles and they found this after they were completing warranty work for the throw out bearing and clutch replacement. This is my third Civic and a bit concerned for having this much work being done for a car I bought new and under 40K miles.

webby

Administrator
Admin
Toys For Tots
I can now add that my 2012 Si is getting a warranty repair for a leaking CV. I have 34,500 miles and they found this after they were completing warranty work for the throw out bearing and clutch replacement. This is my third Civic and a bit concerned for having this much work being done for a car I bought new and under 40K miles.
were your axles making noise or anything?

W3R0

WA
Vehicle Model
Civic SI
Body Style
Sedan
Damn im at 56 k miles ill have to take her in to dealer next oil change