New Battery or Starter Issue?

Nix

Jötunn Moderator
Lew-vul, KY
Body Style
It's A Fast Pig!
I made a video. Im having an occasional issue starting my car. I don't know if it's the battery or something else. It starts hard sometimes and if I drive a short distance, home from work 7 miles, and then go inside and come back out to go to the store it wont start and I have to jump it. If I take it out and drive like a dick for a few miles the hard start goes away and I have no trouble for about 2 weeks. I think it's battery but the car is only an 08 so I expected another year or so out of it. It tries to turn over once or twice then just makes that whirring sound. Let me know what you guys think. Thanks. BTW I jump it from my 01 accord that sits for a month but still starts every damn time. I just had to take it to the store....

Vid:

webby

Administrator
Admin
Toys For Tots
Have you ever had your battery tested at like autozone or a place like it? They'll test the battery for free there and give you info on it's status.

When you do drive it - does it drive rough at all, or pretty normal? I'm not suggesting your alternator is bad, but if the car runs somewhat rough - it could be tied to the alternator going.

Batteries - I've had some last 5yrs without issue, and others give me issues after 3yrs or so. A lot can be said for a car sitting out in harsh winters while at work, or parked outside.

Nix

Jötunn Moderator
Lew-vul, KY
Body Style
It's A Fast Pig!
Hey,
Yeah I actually just had it tested by Valvoline when I had my oil changed and they said it was fine. It looked like they just hooked up a volt meter to it though, I don't know that it would show the overall state of the battery or just if it currently had a charge. The car definitely has lurch and shakes bad occasionally when im stopped. I find that the shake is from the tranny, putting it into neutral makes it stop. It lurches unless im on the gas semi-hard. Ugh... I hope its not the alt. I'm going to try a new battery first and see what's up. Im also going to run some 1GA wire from the alt to the new batt. Thanks for the help.

Dar-Dar

Mordorator
North NJ
Vehicle Model
Civic Si
Body Style
Fiji Blue Pearl Coupe Coolest Member Since: May 15, 2011
I'm having some issues with my battery as well. And it only just started yesterday. When I try to start my car, the power just drains off and I would have to jump it. I'm keeping an extra battery and jumper cables in my car just in case it happens again.

webby

Administrator
Admin
Toys For Tots
Hey,
Yeah I actually just had it tested by Valvoline when I had my oil changed and they said it was fine. It looked like they just hooked up a volt meter to it though, I don't know that it would show the overall state of the battery or just if it currently had a charge. The car definitely has lurch and shakes bad occasionally when im stopped. I find that the shake is from the tranny, putting it into neutral makes it stop. It lurches unless im on the gas semi-hard. Ugh... I hope its not the alt. I'm going to try a new battery first and see what's up. Im also going to run some 1GA wire from the alt to the new batt. Thanks for the help.

We can test your car's battery, alternator, starter and voltage regulator while they're still on your car.
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/inourstores/services.jsp

before buying a new one - why not run over there and see if they detect an issue with a part ^^

Nix

Jötunn Moderator
Lew-vul, KY
Body Style
It's A Fast Pig!
Yup just did that. Went to advance auto, hahah they had to jump start me in the parking lot to test it. "Bad battry yo." SO battery replacement coming up. They said the alternator was fine which was a big relief.

I have a 0.25A parasitic draw when everything is off however which may be contributing to the shorter than expected life.

Nix

Jötunn Moderator
Lew-vul, KY
Body Style
It's A Fast Pig!
I think so. It probably contributes. I don't use my headlights much and I usually have the blue ccfl/leds off. The cop presence here is extremely high. Once I change out the battery Ill let you guys know if it runs down quickly. I have a kill switch for the ccfl/leds.