Curious Question

skyfox23

Was detailing my Si today and had the trunk open for I guess what turns out to be a lengthy amount of time and when I start the car which it fired right up no problem at all my Navi said it lost power, message said to park it out in an open area away from tall buildings trees etc so that the GPS could find the satellite. Does this sound normal?? Also my MID doesn't always greet me with the Honda logo or Si emblem when unlocking car, I thought it always did that upon unlocking and entry to vehicle, maybe never noticed it NOT doing it I don't know, maybe I'm just worrying about nothing ??

I also left one of the dome lights on by accident for 10 hours but no side effects. We had some cold days, car starts without hesitation. Drove it for few 45 mins trips since then so the battery should be back to whatever it lost in those hours. Trunk light seems similar to me in intensity so that should not a problem despite the loss in battery charge. I checked it today with my battery booster and it is full so driving it seems to bring it back to max. Did not think of checking it right after the fact.

Mine always displays the Si screen when I open the door, but I do it once get in and drive, did not try it few times in a row.

If you have one of those battery chargers/testers check it and charge it if needed, if not drive it daily and do not turn all fans, radio gps on all the time for few days to allow the alternator to recharge it faster. I know some battery stores can do a check for you for free.

If you live in a very cold area buy a charger anyways and give it a charge to be sure if you want to be extra sure but it is not a must in my opinion. New car should charge the battery right back in few hours of driving after such an incident. A dome or trunk light is pretty weak.

Yeah it's my DD was just detailing it under covered parking spot today and I didn't think trunk light was on THAT long but apparently so?? Sure seems odd to me that it turned right over but Navi lost power, but had power to display a message about losing power?? WTH?? And then MID seeming to do weird crap too?? Oh man hope its ok? This is the first time I've noticed ANYTHING like this, never had this happen before.

Sounds like a few things need to be done, but back to why, I'm guessing it lost it's memory due to a battery issue, and you need to get the dealer to re-set it(or it's fixable by you (manual) or someone on here).

The thing that seems to be the real issue is you're battery, all batteries should be charged to a full state, to get a long life span............ The car won't fully charge it, and most dealers, or battery shops, etc. .......... Only way to be sure your battery is fully charged is to do it yourself. I'm guessing you bought the car about 7 months ago and the car was sitting on the lot forever, and when you bought it the dealer did nothing, or a incomplete charge, just enough to let the car charge it with it's system where 80% is about as much as a car will get. Need to buy a battery tender(slow charger ,no more than 1.5 charge with an automatic sensor so it can be plugged in as long as you want...... If you live in a apt type place with no plug, they make solar ones plug in the lighter an sit on dash type.... so no excuses.

I've had the Si 14 months. Battery seems to be fine to me? I could be wrong though. Navi is working fine now to I might add by the time I pulled out of the drive way I had the confirmation screen and my GPS located me so I'm unsure what the heck happened??

At the time I was writing my post .....Post #2 & #3 hadn't posted, so I wasn't purposely contradicting anyone.

I know. I'm just concerned as to what the heck would make the Navi do that? Maybe the trunk light had just enough draw to drain GPS location, seems odd to me but I'm just pulling at straws as I hate not knowing things but got an oil appointment tomorrow at Acura dealer so well see how it goes? It sure didn't take 10 minutes like the Navi message said, it was closer to 2 minutes. The MID though is a whole nother issue!?

I've had the Si 14 months. Battery seems to be fine to me? I could be wrong though. Navi is working fine now to I might add by the time I pulled out of the drive way I had the confirmation screen and my GPS located me so I'm unsure what the heck happened??
I'd guess it's self programmable and needed a location fix to to it, that was kind of what you said. I wouldn't think the it normal, because ppl park inside all the time and that doesn't happen.

I know. I'm just concerned as to what the heck would make the Navi do that? Maybe the trunk light had just enough draw to drain GPS location, seems odd to me but I'm just pulling at straws as I hate not knowing things but got an oil appointment tomorrow at Acura dealer so well see how it goes? It sure didn't take 10 minutes like the Navi message said, it was closer to 2 minutes. The MID though is a whole nother issue!?

If you still see any issues take the car to the dealership for a check, safest thing to be sure. Monk's advice is also very good, better safe then sorry. At the minimum check the battery with a multimeter or at some place, dealership if you go there.

I'd have your battery tested, either at the dealer or at a auto parts store(free).... and have a load test done.

Yup, definitely will mention this tomorrow at oil appointment. From what I remember OEM batteries are crap. In my 04 TSX OEM battery tank within a year!

If you still see any issues take the car to the dealership for a check, safest thing to be sure. Monk's advice is also very good, better safe then sorry. At the minimum check the battery with a multimeter or at some place, dealership if you go there.
I think we're on a time lock, and saying about the same thing....... I'm a little passonit about batteries and the lack of knowledge that ppl "that are in the Bizz" seem not to know or don't take the time to do the right way................ All batteries should get a full charge before be used, most don't, shortens their life, and makes things like this happen........... easy fix, buy and use a charger, I'll do a full charge every month or two. Out side in the cold every few weeks.

http://www.4lots.com/browseproducts/battery-saver-plus-1.8-watt-solar-car-battery-charger.html

Yup, definitely will mention this tomorrow at oil appointment. From what I remember OEM batteries are crap. In my 04 TSX OEM battery tank within a year!
A few years ago most lead companies sold all Americas lead supply to china and they are controlling the price and seem to be making most of the batteries(not sure) but they've been going down hill on quality, There are some good name brands which I haven't looked into for this car, but my last Jeep I had 18 years went though one stock and to good ones, I got about 8 years apiece out of the good ones....... they were Optima's
http://www.optimabatteries.com/us/en/products/?gclid=CML2xP7vzbQCFQUFnQodz3AA_g

Optimas are good, yellow top, red top etc...I hear a lot of good things about those.

Optimas are good, yellow top, red top etc...I hear a lot of good things about those.

I just did a match to car search and they make them for mine, coupe ex 1.8 L ........... So at least I know when the time comes I can get one.

I wouldn't think GPS would be a problem due to the car battery. Maybe there were signal issues communicating with satellites due to weather or buildings?

Well I went and checked it just now. Navi seems fine. Almost convinced its a software issue with my MID now. It does not show the Honda emblem or Si badge upon unlocking and entry. It will only show it like every 2nd or 3rd lock unlock sequence. It's never done this before. Does adjusting the brightness affect this feature? That's the only setting I've adjusted. I went into my audio settings on the Nav unit just to make sure they were fine as well as my trip meter but that's it. WTH frustrated beyond belief as to what is causing this??

I haven't looked into my new car yet, but I'm hesitant to disconnect my battery, I got a little bug in my head that there may be something more to reconnecting the battery than re-setting the clock on this one.......... Seems like the dealer left me with that tidbit, sure would like to hear what we'd have to go though after re-connecting the battery..... Phone pairing? / being able to start the car? / etc.

I wouldn't think GPS would be a problem due to the car battery. Maybe there were signal issues communicating with satellites due to weather or buildings?
But why the MID problem?

Is that the "Welcome Screen" with the Honda emblem and the Si badge upon unlocking and entry or is it called something else? Just digging through my owners manual on my iPhone to try and gather some info.

Back