Pulley kit

njhustler

New Jersey
Vehicle Model
Civic Si
Body Style
Sedan
Is the crankshaft on this engine internally balanced?. If it is , i'm a little surprised no one has installed a pulley kit yet. I've had them in the past with nice gains in power and city mpg and no problems. Unorthodox racing has a set. What are your thoughts?.

I cant believe I missed that thread. Still seems like no one has it though.

I'm not a fan of the pullies, I've used them in the past on several cars and didn't really see any benefit.

I'm not a fan of the pullies, I've used them in the past on several cars and didn't really see any benefit.
do you HAVE to run flashpro to keep the engine happy with these? I know full-race said even a lightweight flywheel would throw a code and put the car into limp mode. He said flashpro wold be the only way to run them.

do you HAVE to run flashpro to keep the engine happy with these? I know full-race said even a lightweight flywheel would throw a code and put the car into limp mode. He said flashpro wold be the only way to run them.

I don't see why you'd need FP for the pullies. The flywheel makes sense. Guess the only way to know for sure is to try it.

I've used them before on civic , gsr and accord. They all felt better from it.

Placebo effect of "I bought a new part, therefore my car now feels better". I'm too old for that -- I want quantifiable results, and at the 1/4 mile strip there were zero benefits. Sure they might make your motor rev faster in neutral... cool?

I don't see why you'd need FP for the pullies. The flywheel makes sense. Guess the only way to know for sure is to try it.

Placebo effect of "I bought a new part, therefore my car now feels better". I'm too old for that -- I want quantifiable results, and at the 1/4 mile strip there were zero benefits. Sure they might make your motor rev faster in neutral... cool?

Reducing rotational mass on an engine helps it rev faster no?. In turn making it quicker. Too many variables in the 1/4 to certainly say that it does nothing. people with mods run 15.2 , 15.3. Stock si with a good driver can pull 15.1. Are those mods , the main ones placebo effect as well?. Unorthodox usually provides dyno sheets showing gains from bottom to the top , unlike most mods that make a diff higher up in the rev range.. Everyone has their own opinion on things. You say placebo , I say it makes a diff.

I don't know much about pulley kits, but Vit has been tuning countless number of cars.

Many with and without pulley kits. Lol.

I know he has and I've heard of him and know he is a very Knowledgeable and respectable tuner. I just have a different opinion on the pullies.

Last edited:
Reducing rotational mass on an engine helps it rev faster no?. In turn making it quicker. Too many variables in the 1/4 to certainly say that it does nothing. people with mods run 15.2 , 15.3. Stock si with a good driver can pull 15.1. Are those mods , the main ones placebo effect as well?. Unorthodox usually provides dyno sheets showing gains from bottom to the top , unlike most mods that make a diff higher up in the rev range.. Everyone has their own opinion on things. You say placebo , I say it makes a diff.

I have yet to meet a manufacturer that doesn't claim gains for any product they make that is "supposed" to add power. If the pullies add say 3hp, that's a gain that will never be felt, and something like pullies is highly subject to something called "diminishing returns" -- on a stock Si they might help more than on a fully bolted on Si. And on a forced induction Si they will have zero benefit -- the motor makes so much power that a weight change in the crank pulley is just irrelevant, you'll never notice in any realistic application (dyno is not a realistic application, sorry).

If you want to talk about reducing rotating mass -- look at the oil pump with balance shafts. I have one sitting on the shelf, it weighs like 20lbs or something (it feels like a boat anchor compared to the RSX oil pump which weighs like 1 or 2 lbs).

I have yet to meet a manufacturer that doesn't claim gains for any product they make that is "supposed" to add power. If the pullies add say 3hp, that's a gain that will never be felt, and something like pullies is highly subject to something called "diminishing returns" -- on a stock Si they might help more than on a fully bolted on Si. And on a forced induction Si they will have zero benefit -- the motor makes so much power that a weight change in the crank pulley is just irrelevant, you'll never notice in any realistic application (dyno is not a realistic application, sorry).

If you want to talk about reducing rotating mass -- look at the oil pump with balance shafts. I have one sitting on the shelf, it weighs like 20lbs or something (it feels like a boat anchor compared to the RSX oil pump which weighs like 1 or 2 lbs).

I can agree with that. Your absolutely right about the diminishing returns. I was just stating that on a street car with minor bolt ons , there is a difference in the lower-mid range rpm torque and hp which can offset some of the losses that some mods can cause at those rpm ranges. Another benefit in real world driving would be fuel economy , especially in stop - go traffic. i guess Honda dropped the ball with all that weight , glad we finally get torque.

Back