Official Computer Talk Thread

Replacement battery should be here soon.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Trying to get a good docking station that won’t break the bank for my work laptop since I’m working from home for two weeks.

do you just need to dump your video out to a larger monitor?

do you just need to dump your video out to a larger monitor?

I’d like more flexibility than just dump it to a bigger monitor. Can get a port replicator for $55 or the computer. All the other peripherals are setup on A/B switching so, just need a new dock for the laptop.

I'm with Booty. If you're mandatory WFH then they should provide accommodations that allow for the same level of productivity that you can achieve in the office.

I'm with Booty. If you're mandatory WFH then they should provide accommodations that allow for the same level of productivity that you can achieve in the office.

I’m in total agreement with you two. Reality versus expectation are two different things though. My last company took care of a dock when you were WFH. Not so today.

It’s like ripping teeth out with no anesthesia to get a second monitor at your desk or some ergonomic adjustments to the desk other than a mouse or keyboard.

All the money that Boeing makes.... :rolleyes: Well I mean I know they had the planes that couldn't fly but still..

Their market cap was ~254 billion around March last year. It’s currently ~127 billion, but I agree they could cover your cost on a dock. There are some cheap universal units for like $20-30 on amazon.

I can see what Foo means though. It ain't worth the paperwork/headache to try to get one from them..

I can see what Foo means though. It ain't worth the paperwork/headache to try to get one from them..

True that. We require Director level approval to issue WFH equipment. That's deterrent enough for most people. The typical user won't run it that far up the ladder unless they have a dang good business justification.

kind of want to upgrade my b450-i for a x570-i
not worth it IMO. Not yet at least. X470 is more than adequate for most users. The only real benefit of x570 over x470 is PCI-E 4.0, which not many people will utilize.

not worth it IMO. Not yet at least. X470 is more than adequate for most users. The only real benefit of x570 over x470 is PCI-E 4.0, which not many people will utilize.
agreed but when itx x470 boards cost the same as itx x570 why not go x570 for future proofing

agreed but when itx x470 boards cost the same as itx x570 why not go x570 for future proofing

That's the right line of thinking for sure. What board are you considering that both the x470 and the x570 are in the same price bracket? Gotta be missing something on the x570 to put in in the same range as a x470 board

That's the right line of thinking for sure. What board are you considering that both the x470 and the x570 are in the same price bracket? Gotta be missing something on the x570 to put in in the same range as a x470 board

ASUS x470 and x570 prices
2628520940f844782361fb1297a0eb39.png

Hmm, I wonder if this is finally reflective of the lack of feature upgrade over the B450-i. Not much of an upgrade from the B450-i to the x470-i (which in turn means not much of an upgrade to the x570) IIRC the big difference between the b450-i and x470-i was the RGB heatsink.

If it were me I'd save the $$ and go b450-i unless you have a specific reasoning in wanting x470/x570.

Have the Asus Strix from a couple of years ago. It’s buggy and doesn’t like to boot up after PSU power is cut out.

I have the Strix x470-f and had to RMA about 3 months ago. New board seems okay I guess. Only time will tell.

Back