12,000 Miles: Replacement clutch Break-in

A Tuxedo Cat

Massachusetts
Vehicle Model
Civic Si
Body Style
Coupe FG4
First off I apologize for the lack of organization in this post, I'm sending it from my phone.

Note: this post regards the Si model

This isn't the first drivetrain related issue I've had (clutch master cylinder lost all hydraulic pressure, needed to be replaced at 3,500 miles).

Now at just over 12,000 miles another issue arose. I'm being told by my cousin (master tech @ the Honda dealer I bought the car at) that the awful noise I was hearing was the Clutch and Flywheel.

The flywheel bolts are being replaced as well as the clutch itself because it was missing one tooth. Under warranty of course.

Now on to the actual question,
every clutch has a break-in period. I am curious if there is anything I should do differently since it's a new clutch and all the other parts have a mere 12k on them.

TL:DR
New OEM clutch at 12k, any special precautions?

As far as breaking in your new clutch & parts, I'd have to say it's a matter of just using one properly from the 1st mile till 100 thousand miles.
This info for anyone, I don't know you personally, so here's my opinion on using a clutch.

Smoothness shifting and the least amount of clutch spin at all times, the least amount of pushing the clutch pedal in to disengage for shifting is going to be the less time the clutch & fly wheel have to be apart from each other, which keeps everything stay closer in sync.

There are smoother ways to shift that are faster than what is called "Gear jamming", the gear selectors and all the other mechanics' needed, is not on stock cars, so gear jamming's out.

Even if you know all this, there are other readers that may want to see this.

Glad you got this fixed under warranty.

Drive easy for the first 3-500 miles
Don't rev and dump the clutch
Don't ride the clutch
Don't have real high rpm gear changes for the first 3-500 miles

Those things are usually mentioned to new clutch owners.

First off I apologize for the lack of organization in this post, I'm sending it from my phone.

Note: this post regards the Si model

This isn't the first drivetrain related issue I've had (clutch master cylinder lost all hydraulic pressure, needed to be replaced at 3,500 miles).

Now at just over 12,000 miles another issue arose. I'm being told by my cousin (master tech @ the Honda dealer I bought the car at) that the awful noise I was hearing was the Clutch and Flywheel.

The flywheel bolts are being replaced as well as the clutch itself because it was missing one tooth. Under warranty of course.

Now on to the actual question,
every clutch has a break-in period. I am curious if there is anything I should do differently since it's a new clutch and all the other parts have a mere 12k on them.

TL:DR
New OEM clutch at 12k, any special precautions?

Can you briefly describe the awful noise you were hearing?

Can you briefly describe the awful noise you were hearing?

Sounded like two cog shaped pieces of metal spinning opposite ways making slight contact. Awful and loud. That's the best I can give you, or if you know what a walking flywheel sounds like.

Back