17s or 18s

hwasa

Long Beach, CA
Vehicle Model
Civic Si
Body Style
Coupe
Currently looking at wheels for my 2014 fg4 (coupe). What do you guys think of this infamous question; stay with 18s or downsize to 17s. Some say 17s are better for performance, 18s for looks. Also, some wheels (like RPF1s I think) look bigger than others of the same size (stock looks kind of big?) I have been looking at enkei T6s and they have concavity. Do you think these wheels will look bigger or smaller as 18s (if that makes any sense). Thanks guys

18x9.5 pictured on fr-s. best picture of concaved ones I could find.
frs t6s.jpg

Honestly I always thought 17's for coupes and 18's for sedans looked good. However, I think the newer Civics have larger bodies and profiles overall so you could go either way. Just keep in mind that certain wheels really look different in different widths. Pick a size and then make sure you find a picture of exactly that size wheel on a car.

The RPF1s are notorious for changing appearance a 9" wide. The 8.5" and the 9" wheel are completely different looking but they use the photo of the 9" wheel on every single stock image you see. So be very very careful when wheel shopping that you have seen an image of the size you are buying/considering.

RPF1 comparison of the "bubble" vs "flat" face wheels.

17x8.5 = "bubble" face:

Wheels1.JPG

17x8 bubble face:
0606_HT_01_Z+2006_Honda_Civic_Si+front_side.jpg

17x9 "concave" appearance:

p153450947-4.jpg

17x9 on car:
index.php

for our 14 coupes I feel like the 17's look so small, I'm not sure why. I'd go 18's, unless you want to track it go down to 17's :D

I think those will "Look" bigger too in 18 also, just because of the simplistic spoke design

I agree. I think you should stick to 18's as a 17 may have a "small" appearance.

Coup def looks more swole than the sedans so get 18. I doubt u really need the performance that bad scuderi. If you really do. Get mechanical mods first then when you get rlly serious get the smaller/lighter wheels @Scuderi

Currently looking at wheels for my 2014 fg4 (coupe). What do you guys think of this infamous question; stay with 18s or downsize to 17s. Some say 17s are better for performance, 18s for looks. Also, some wheels (like RPF1s I think) look bigger than others of the same size (stock looks kind of big?) I have been looking at enkei T6s and they have concavity. Do you think these wheels will look bigger or smaller as 18s (if that makes any sense). Thanks guys

18x9.5 pictured on fr-s. best picture of concaved ones I could find.
View attachment 48591

Here's my car on 17's haha

2dabn2o.jpg

Love those wheels with the blue. Don't get me wrong, love your car and style, but to met it just looks like the wheels are a tad too small. Maybe its just because I'm used to 18s.. your STRs were 18s weren't they? What do you think?

Love those wheels with the blue. Don't get me wrong, love your car and style, but to met it just looks like the wheels are a tad too small. Maybe its just because I'm used to 18s.. your STRs were 18s weren't they? What do you think?

For function get 17" with meaty tires. 18s look like DUBs on our Civic's.

106389d1181928589-es-350-on-22-inch-dubs-lex.jpg

Ya feelin me Dawg.
halloween_vampire.gif

They're not quite DUB status yet hahaha. When they gonna make 17.5 wheels? perfect lol

They look big to me. A lot of people would agree with me, but that's just my opinion....

Yeah they definitely do, I liked the 18's because slammed on those I was still high enough to drive normally lol. With these I scrape a bit more, but I'm gonna get meaty tires for them soon :)

17's...improved ride quality without sacrifice in handling....lighter......less expensive....still looks good (subject to debate)...heck, I run 16's in the winter

I actually like the look of the 17s, but I'm obviously biased. 18s don't have enough sidewall for my liking! The 17s IMO strike a nice balance, and look perfectly sized if you're lowered.

Back