DIY 2012 Civic Foglight Overlays (Template Included)

siracergrl

NJ
Vehicle Model
Civic Type R
Body Style
4-Door Hatch
I've gotten a couple people asking me where I got my yellow fog overlays so I figured I would share the template I made when I did mine. I drew mine by hand so please excuse the imperfections in shape. I promise you though, as long as you follow the directions I give, these will fit perfectly on your Civic.

Thanks to webby for helping me clean up the hand drawn overlay :thumb:

Materials Needed:
  • Soapy water in a spray bottle
  • Scissors
  • Vinyl Sheet (color of your choice)
  • Exacto knife or razor blade
  • Overlay Template
  • Rubbing alcohol
Steps:
  1. To get the proper size printout of this template, make sure in your print settings that it is being printed at 100% scale.
  2. Next you will want to cut out your overlay and place it on your vinyl sheet. Trace out your overlay and cut out with the exacto knife.
  3. Then you will want to clean the surface of your fog lights with some rubbing alcohol so that the vinyl sticks better and to remove any dirt/debris that may be on the fog lens.
  4. Next you will want to liberally spray the lens with the soapy water. (This will give you some play in the vinyl if you happen to mess up).
  5. Peel the backing to your overlay and place on the fog lens. The template has some excess to it but that is ok because it should slide under the black molding around the fog light. Once your overlay is in place use a small squeegee or piece of cardboard to get any remaining bubbles that may have formed.
  6. You could also turn your fog lights on in order to heat the lens and help the overlay stick on better once you are done.
Finished product should look like this:
IMG_0542.jpg

Attachments

• 2012fogs.jpg
    2012fogs.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 146
No. Thank YOU webby. I would have driven myself bananas with that image trying to get it perfect had it not been for your help.

not sure where she got hers, but you can buy laminx in rolls directly from their site, or even ebay. (I should say rolls or just a few feet from a roll)

i have a 2012 Si Sedan. Template is not the right size, just an FYI doe the ones with sedans.. But, it's one screw to remove the fog housing and then 3 screws to remove the light from the housing.. all you need is a heat gun and screw driver

can I ask where the template was bad on the sedan...? I see there are 2 part #'s for the fog lights, but I'm not sure how they differ in size. The template has some overhang on each side to allow for coverage.

Would a 50/50 mix of alcohol and water in a spray bottle work, rather than soapy water?

johnson's baby shampoo or something similar are used in most instances so you can move the template around without sticking to the foglight instantly. The alcohol is used to clean off the lens itself. The alcohol dries and evaporates really quickly. I don't see that providing much lubrication

you squeegee it out - piece of cardboard, plastic...whatever to press the liquid out. The glue backing on the overlay will then adhere to the lens.

Top to bottom was the right measurement but the horizontal measurement wasn't long enough. I've tinted a few thinks in the past and I honestly believe with these small lights it was easier to remove them to tint it dry. When it was wet the film kept sliding around and wouldn't stick too good. Maybe got cheap film from someone though.

And I apologize for my auto correct on my phone... Lol

Since i am new to this site, and obvisouly the 9th gen, is this mod just for looks? Does it make it seem brighter or anything? It looks good and i may try this!

It's mostly for looks. Yellow helps with fog a little more than white since it doesn't reflect off of it much like white would normally

Back