2012 civic fuel tank issue?

Nick G

i have purchased a 2012 LX model in NY. however the dealer will not deliver the vehicle to me claiming that there is a halt put on sales of this vehicle due to a fuel tank issue. Has anyone heard anything about this? its very frustrating. they say they wont know what the fix is until later this week. i dont know if this is a subset of vehicles or all 2012 civics. thanks for info
Nick

Was the vehicle on site when you purchased it?

yes that is correct, there is a "stop sale" in effect for affected vehicles issued by American Honda. i saw a bulletin on iN.Honda a few days after the release here at work. this is NOT a full-fledged recall but more of a "per case scenario" sort of situation. there is an additional one out there about the bump stop in i believe it's the rear suspension of the new 2012 Civics that were produced in Japan (leading "J" on the VIN plate).

nothing overly serious. just requires a thorough inspection & sign-off before legally allowed to sell the vehicle(s).

just found it on iN.Honda this morning!!

i think i need to create and update a thread on TSBs, notices, stop sales, recalls, and whatnot. what do y'all think?

DATE: May 16, 2011
TO: All Honda Sales, Service & Parts Managers
RE: Limited Recall/Stop Sale: 2012 Civic (4-door / 2-door) Fuel Line Leak

On 5/10/11 American Honda announced a Stop Sale for a limited number of 2012 Civic 4-door and 2-door models produced at the Canada plant. Today, 5/16/11, American Honda is announcing a Recall of 1156 units. Some units will be repaired at the railhead prior to dealer delivery. Only VINs shown in the VIN list are affected by the Stop Sale. Some dealers may not have affected units in their inventory.

Dealers must use VIN Status Inquiry to determine eligibility for the campaign. VIN Status Inquiry will be available 5/20/11 for this campaign.

Click here for list(removed hyperlink)

Should an unrepaired vehicle cause an injury or damage because of the recalled item, the dealership will be solely responsible to the damaged party, and will be required to defend and indemnify American Honda for any resulting claims.

Basic Problem
During production of the fuel feed pipe the O-ring sealing the plastic pipe to the metal line partially rolled out of position. When the fuel feed pipe is pressurized, fuel could leak past this O-ring.

Service Information
A Service Bulletin will be posted for viewing on 5/20/11. Affected units will require replacement of the fuel feed pipe and retainer. Customer notifications will begin mailing on or before 5/27/11.
Once the repair has been performed the unit can be sold.

Parts Information
Dealers will be allocated fuel feed pipes and pipe retainers to repair your affected in-stock inventory and sold units. Dealers should start receiving these parts beginning 5/20/11.

edit: none of the VINs listed on that original hyperlink are for my dealership, HQ Honda. zero for Classic Honda (a nearby Honda dealer), and one shown for my old employer, Holler Honda.

if anyone can tell me the 6 digit dealer code, i'd be happy to look up the inquiry for them.

all of the Canadian units would show a leading "2" in the VIN plate

1 America (Ohio/Indiana)
2 Canada
3 Mexico
5 America (Alabama)
J Japan
S England
W Germany
K Korea
Z Italy
etc...

updated the TSB technicial forum thread w/ these two posts above. the corrected 2011 entry and the one and only 2012 entry. sorry for the confusion... it appears iN.Honda made a human typographical error. :rotfl:

My VIN starts with a 2. Should I take it to my honda dealership or just wait until they send out the letter?

you could just call them and give them your vin # - they could tell you if your car is in the listed vins that need the repair.

or PM me and tell me either your last 8 of the VIN and/or dealer # should you know it. i can look it up as well. :)

Was the vehicle on site when you purchased it?
Thanks for the information here! Yes it was on the lot - but it was held while awaiting reciept and installation of a rear spoiler. i am so frustrated. i am wondering if i should press them to just replace the vehicle with another not affected by the issue - it sounds from above that the wait could be prolonged.

I just called up my dealer and they said to bring the car in tuesday so they can repair it, they're gonna give me a loaner for the time it takes the car to repair. I love the benefits of buying a new car lol.

I just called up my dealer and they said to bring the car in tuesday so they can repair it, they're gonna give me a loaner for the time it takes the car to repair. I love the benefits of buying a new car lol.
excellent news. i'll continue to post what i read on iN.Honda as i see it on the TSB/Recalls/Stop Sales thread on here. it's no problem to help out. :D

i did a check on the 21 total '12 Civics (4DRs and 2DRs) incoming to my dealership inventory... none of which are on the short list of vehicles affected. :woot:

mid-June expecting our first arrivals of coupes.

The recall affects 1,156 cars, many of which haven't even been sold yet. Honda said they'll be repaired while they're still on dealer lots.

just a question, im not too into the mechanics of cars, but what happens with this fuel tank issue? like if its not fixed what happens to the car?

it was just a part that could leak gas when pressurized.

"During production of the fuel feed pipe the O-ring sealing the plastic pipe to the metal line partially rolled out of position. When the fuel feed pipe is pressurized, fuel could leak past this O-ring."

It's not the actual tank that's bad

just posted an update i just saw on iN this morning. check it out. no longer can dealers use the VIN list.... now required to do a full VIN status inquiry in the service department.

yes that is correct, there is a "stop sale" in effect for affected vehicles issued by American Honda. i saw a bulletin on iN.Honda a few days after the release here at work. this is NOT a full-fledged recall but more of a "per case scenario" sort of situation. there is an additional one out there about the bump stop in i believe it's the rear suspension of the new 2012 Civics that were produced in Japan (leading "J" on the VIN plate).
I agree with you, thanks!

Back