2012 Civic LX auto swapped for manual 6sp?!

Kid2icon

Now that I got your attention (hahaha) is it possible to take a civic lx coupe that has an automatic tranny and switch it with a manual 6 sp tranny from an Si? I just got the car in December and just am bored out of my mind with auto. The speed part of the Si is awesome! ( I used to sell Hondas) but don't feel like dropping 7k just to get out of the upside down situation I would be in if I traded in and opted for an si. It doesn't make sense to me. I would simply like to convert my car to a manual tranny and would prefer the 6 sp. if the r18 platform and k24 trannys aren't compatible then I suppose just swapping to the regular 5 sp would be fine. Stupid I didn't get a manual to begin with. Even more stupid there were none in the state of Colorado except Si when I bought it! What do you guys think? Any help is greatly appreciated. If I get enough advice and direction, I would be happy to post pics and details for all to learn from and see! Thanks in advance!:fistpump:

just trade for the si itl run you around 7 k not to mention all the blood and sweat involved in a FULL drivetrain swap

The speed part of the Si is awesome!
Even if you could swap the si trans in a non-si model, it's not going to make the car faster. You could put a 5 speed from the non-si in, but you're still taking about a chunk of change. I'm assuming you'd not be doing the work yourself either? Your best bet would be to find a totaled 5speed and buying the trans that way. I'd wager you'd be looking at a couple thousand in parts if you bought everything new from honda, plus your installation.

I was thinking of something along the lines of a totaled civic 5sp or somethin like that too webby. After the swap, I could recoup some of the money by selling the auto trans. I'm sure a used trans with 10k miles will be sold for a decent price. I would be doing some of the work myself except for anything I would need an actual shop for. I'm not looking to make my car faster as I know the r18 is worthless as a racing engine. Just a car that's more exciting to drive. At the end of the day after selling the other trans, I would be happy if my cost would be around 1500. Less would be better as I doubt anyone would complain when it comes to saving money! Lol

Last edited:
I'm not trying to change your mind...... BUT .......... I'm driving an automatic for the 1st time in my life(driving since the late 50's), and what I've found myself doing is using my Automatic almost as I would a ST, except when in slow moving traffic(even then I'll use 3D/2nd). I'm just wondering if most ppl who have automatics are just putting them in D and not bothering to use the different gears? And if they don't, then why would they want a manual?
I'm loving my auto, but then again it's something new to me..... Just saying.

I'm not trying to change your mind...... BUT .......... I'm driving an automatic for the 1st time in my life(driving since the late 50's), and what I've found myself doing is using my Automatic almost as I would a ST, except when in slow moving traffic(even then I'll use 3D/2nd). I'm just wondering if most ppl who have automatics are just putting them in D and not bothering to use the different gears? And if they don't, then why would they want a manual?
I'm loving my auto, but then again it's something new to me..... Just saying.

I can see your point of view. For me there is more challenge in a manual, (even when it comes as second nature) and the slapstick method is not as responsive as a clutch pedal and a throw of the shifter. I notice a small delay of a second or 2 when downshifting. I do realize it may be asking for quite a bit, and perhaps in a way even irrational depending on the point of view, but there really is nothing like the feel of dropping the clutch when the engine is at peak torque! And out of curiosity, why would you opt for an automatic after so many years of driving manual? I am curious.

I can see your point of view. For me there is more challenge in a manual, (even when it comes as second nature) and the slapstick method is not as responsive as a clutch pedal and a throw of the shifter. I notice a small delay of a second or 2 when downshifting. I do realize it may be asking for quite a bit, and perhaps in a way even irrational depending on the point of view, but there really is nothing like the feel of dropping the clutch when the engine is at peak torque! And out of curiosity, why would you opt for an automatic after so many years of driving manual? I am curious.
Good question... I'd say the number one reason is that I've never had one, and it lead me to the reasoning that it would be nice not to have to do all that comes with a ST, when I'm in a position that I'd rather not have to buck with it. Also figuring that I'd have the option of having lower gearing when needed by selecting one with the auto-stick, I have on occasion driven AT's in the past, and when shifting them they were far from the response they now have(even though like you said, they still aren't as responsive as a ST)........ But I'm finding just the fact that it gives me something new to play with(like I said, I'm still shifting a lot), not only the Auto stick needs to be timed to get the response when it's needed(which takes planning ahead, and I like the challenge of getting it to react when I want it to. Not only the AT is a fun challenge but I have also started timing the cruise control to do what I want through cutting it off coming up on a turn and turning it back on after entering the turn with the right timing that allows the car to be under power going through the turn........ Where lots of ppl brake to late into a turn, this makes me have to think much further ahead so as to do the slowing before entering the turn....... So here's an example ....... coming up on a turn in D with the CC on, shift down into D3 or 2(CC doesn't work in 2nd) depending on how much drag I want and getting the speed I want then shifting back into D3 or D and pushing the resume on the CC for the exit speed.

Considering that I'm on the ocd side, and the more I have to work towards getting the car to do what I want is a lot more fun for me than just shifting a ST(I use to drive semi's).......... So to make a long story longer, It just seems like NEW is fun.

Don't forget swapping in a shifter, doing all the firewall work, placing a clutch pedal, running lines/cables, master cylinder..... It's a lot of work and $$. You would be better just trading for a manual LX/EX.

Way more than a couple thousand,and I don't think great for resale,1) automatics sell I believe 85 percent of all Hondas made( I know I just saw that stat recently)2) I just don't think it will be the same as factory fresh 3)finding someone qualified and there may be insurance issues. In the end I would just trade in IMO-

It's def going to cost you more than the $1500 your thinking, even after re-selling parts.

Sell the car on your own to make the most money out of it and get into an Si, better in the long run and you get more upgrades than just the 6spd trans.

Back