2012 Honda Civic Automatic Downshift Problem

Kfaist

Okay, so I have an automatic 2012 Honda Civic LX. I don't really beat on it too much and I drive 50/50 highway and city. Most of miles are probably highway though. So, every time I'm coming to a complete stop, my car normally downshifts from whatever gear I'm in to 3, 2, to 1 etc. However, when my car downshifts from either 3rd or 2nd DOWN to 1st when coming to a complete stop my car jerks hard. It's like the transmission kicks as it downshifts to 1st. My old nissan did not do this as it was nice and smooth when the auto would downshift to first when coming to a complete stop. I was just wondering if this is normal for this car? I was in another 2012 civic coupe lx and I can feel the jerk as she came to a stop in her automatic as well but not as bad as mine.

Honestly, I'm just sick of automatic's and next car is definitely going to be stick and yes I know how to drive stick lol.
Maybe I should start looking into the Si since I know their transmissions are amazing to learn on. After all I learned on a 2007 Si.

The dealership has already driven my car before and said no problems are occurring. It was for a different reason, but I figured they would know if something is up with the transmission when they drove it. Maybe they didn't who knows maybe i should.

The problem I had was completely unrelated it was a rattling in my window, and they fixed it but yea they weren't testing it for trans problems.

The problem I had was completely unrelated it was a rattling in my window, and they fixed it but yea they weren't testing it for trans problems.
Driver's side window by chance? Did you find out what was making the sound? I have a rattle there.

As far as the transmission goes: I have the same car as you and don't feel a significant jerk when it downshifts. Do you have another Honda dealership in the area? I would take it to them and have them drive it.

Well it's not that bad, it just jerks more than I'm used to. My maxima would downshift so nicely into first I wouldn't even feel it. Oh well.

Anyway, the rattling was something outside of the car. I forget exactly what it was but just take it to the dealer. They needed to buy a new part for it or adhesive, I don't remember if it was the weather stripping or the black plastic piece by the stripping that was loose. I had both of these problems separately and I got them fixed.

Do you notice the hard downshift more when the road is pointed up or down a bit? Sometimes the grade logic in the Honda AT can have some trouble deciding what it wants to do.

I have 29k on mine and it's smooth as silk......... So I'd say yours needs to be looked at.
Leaving it in drive, or manually down shifting it, it works fine either way.

Back