2012 Honda Civic Reviews

webby

Administrator
Admin
Toys For Tots
2012 Honda Civic Reviews

If you are thinking about purchasing a 2012 Honda Civic, this page provides a lot of resources for those who want to research the vehicle. I've compiled reviews, videos, comparisons, and magazine test data for all of the various civic models.

For those who are unaware, the 2012 civic is offered in a number of trims. There is a gas/electric hybrid version, a civic that runs off natural gas, and the most prevalent - two versions of the gasoline engine civic. The base engine that is found on the non-SI version, produces 28/39mpg respectively, while the SI engine produces 22/31mpg.

Civic HF, Sedan, Coupe and Natural Gas Specifications
  • 140 horsepower, 1.8-liter i-VTEC™ 4-cylinder engine
  • 5-speed automatic transmission
  • ECO Assist technology
  • EPA-estimated Civic HF highway fuel economy: 41 mpg
  • EPA-estimated Civic Sedan and Civic Coupe highway fuel economy: 39 mpg
Civic Hybrid Specifications
  • 110 horsepower, 1.5-liter i-VTEC™ 4-cylinder engine (combined gasoline + electric)
  • Continuously Variable Transmission (CVT)
  • Lithium-ion battery
  • ECO Assist technology
  • EPA-estimated Civic Hybrid city/highway combined fuel economy: 45 mpg
Civic Si Specifications
  • 200 horsepower and 170 lb-ft, 2.4-liter i-VTEC™ 4-cylinder engine
  • 6-speed manual transmission
  • EPA-estimated Civic Si highway fuel economy: 31 mpg
For a full list of technical specifications - Based on body style, see below
specs.jpg

2012 Civic SI Coupe Specs Link
http://9thcivic.com/forum/pages/2012-civic-si-specs/

specsedan.jpg

2012 Civic SI Sedan Specs Link
http://9thcivic.com/forum/pages/2012-civic-si-sedan-specs/
speccoupe.jpg

2012 Civic Coupe Specs Link
http://9thcivic.com/forum/pages/2012-Civic-Coupe-Specs/
specsedan1.jpg

2012 Civic Sedan Specs Link
http://9thcivic.com/forum/pages/2012-honda-civic-sedan-specs/
spechybrid.jpg

2012 Civic Hybrid Specs Link
http://9thcivic.com/forum/pages/2012-civic-hybrid-sedan/.

2012 Civic Brochure
http://9thcivic.com/gallery/2012-Honda-Civic-Brochure

Click For Editorial Reviews of The 2012 Civic

Click For Video Comparisons & Video Reviews

2012 Honda Civic Image Galleries On 9thcivic
Main Gallery - http://9thcivic.com/gallery/

2012 civic sedan - http://9thcivic.com/gallery/2012-Civic-Sedan

2012 civic coupe - http://9thcivic.com/gallery/2012-Civic-Coupe

2012 Civic SI sedan interior - http://9thcivic.com/gallery/2012-Civic-Si-Sedan-Interior

2012 Civic SI sedan exterior - http://9thcivic.com/gallery/2012-Civic-Si-Sedan

2012 Civic SI coupe interior - http://9thcivic.com/gallery/2012-Civic-Si-Interior

2012 Civic SI coupe exterior - http://9thcivic.com/gallery/2012-Civic-SI-Coupe

Color Specific Examples of The 2012 Civic
(9thcivic users post vehicles they own or spot)
http://9thcivic.com/forum/forums/civic-color-specific-threads.33/

2012 Honda Civic- New Features Added

New Civic Features

HF Trim
This trim level will be equipped to achieve higher fuel economy, including lighter weight wheels, low rolling-resistance tires and aerodynamic enhancements. Other features are identical to the LX trim.

Electric Power Steering (EPS) on Every Model
EPS was previously on Si models only. For 2012, ALL Civic models are equipped with EPS.

Vehicle Stability Assist (VSA) on Every Model
Vehicle stability assist with built-in yaw sensor is on every 2012 Civic model.

One-motion Interior Door Handle
Both front interior door handles will unlock and open the door with one pull of the handle. The 2012 Civic is the first Honda model with this feature. This convenience requires that front seat passengers never pull a front door handle while the vehicle is in motion.

New Civic Technologies

i-MID (all but DX model)
The intelligent Multi-Information, Display will page through odometer/trip, clock, audio, and trip computer information as well as warning messages. The Si includes a power output meter. The Hybrid includes displays for energy flow and Eco guide. Door locking, trip computer and lighting can be customized, including importing of wallpaper images for the i-MID.

New Hybrid Battery Pack
The 2012 Civic Hybrid has a new lithium-ion battery pack. It will not fully charge until the vehicle is driven.

ECON Mode (all but Si)
The ECON mode helps maximize fuel efficiency by adjusting the performance of the engine, transmission, heating and cooling system, and cruise control. This mode is activated with the green ECON button. An indicator will appear on the instrument panel while it is activated.
NOTE: When using the cruise control in ECON mode, it may take longer to accelerate to maintain set speed.

Driver Distraction
The navigation system includes new restrictions on manual operations while the vehicle is in motion. While driving, some options are shaded on the menus and must be accessed using voice commands.

Navi Turn-by-Turn Display
The navigation system’s turn-by-turn information displays on the i-MID as well as the main navigation screen. The 2012 Civic is the first Honda model with this feature.

New Navi System
The 2012 Civic navigation system uses a flash memory drive instead of a DVD or HDD. If a navi control unit must be replaced, the SD module must be transferred to the new control unit. System updates will be available for purchase on a flash drive, which is plugged into a USB update port behind the glovebox and uploaded to the Navi system.

FM Traffic
Navigation-equipped Civic models are capable of receiving FM Traffic data. With the information Broadcast on certain FM radio band in available areas, this free service requires no subscription.

Audio Anti-Theft
The anti-theft code is automatically checked between the ECM/PCM and the audio unit; there is no longer a need for anti-theft code cards. However two anti-theft code labels are included. After you unlock the audio unit, attach one of the anti-theft code labels to the PDI repair order. The second label should be given to the customer for safe keeping, rather than left in the vehicle.
NOTE: If the audio unit loses power, turn the ignition switch to ON (II). Press the audio power button once. Press and hold the audio power button again until you hear a beep and see the audio frequency on screen. The VIN anti-theft process is then complete.

Radio Preset Memory
If the battery is disconnected, the radio will remember the customer’s station presets.

Battery 12-volt Energy Management
Battery current amount is monitored by a battery sensor. The PCM varies the ACG voltage between 12.5 to 14.5V based on data received from the battery sensor. This ensures optimal battery state-of-charge.

Cruise Control System
Cruise control will not cancel until the clutch pedal (MT transmission-equipped vehicles) has been depressed for 5 seconds or more.[/quote]

i-MID Demonstration

.Help spread the word about 9thcivic as the leading 9th generation Honda Civic Forum by liking us on facebook, following 9thcivic on twitter, and Registering to the site if you're a guest!

GUESTS - 9thcivic is Free to use, and you'll gain access to additional site features and options by signing up. You don't even need to register for an account if you already have a facebook login..M

• Staff
Editorial Reviews of The 2012 Civic:

Autoweek
Motortrend
Autoblog
Insideline
JD Power
Torquenews
edmunds
cars.com
thetorquereport

2012 Honda Civic Si Navi Coupe, an Autoweek Drivers Log Car Review

The four-cylinder engine in the 2012 Honda Civic Si is rated at 201 hp.

DIGITAL EDITOR ANDREW STOY: So that's what happened to all the character that got sucked out of the regular Civic that we had a few weeks back: They took it and stuck it into this 2012 Honda Civic Si. Light, precise shifter; responsive handling; surprising grip at irresponsible speeds; firm, easy-to-modulate braking with almost no dive and a zingy engine that'll bounce off the rev limiter all day long. This is what a Honda is supposed to feel like. It reminds me of my '88 Prelude Si, a high compliment in my book.

Of course, that also means there's mediocre torque until higher in the rev band, and the car never feels out-and-out powerful in the way, say, a Mazda Mazdaspeed 3 does; balance is key here. The high-strung four-cylinder really comes alive between 5,000 rpm and 7,000 rpm, producing a satisfying surge when most engines are struggling for breath.

Inside, the Honda Civic breaks no new ground, nor is it a bad place to spend time. As I mentioned in my review of the 2012 Civic EX-L sedan, visibility is excellent, the dash textures and densities imply quality and the controls are easy to use. Again, no automatic climate control is present, and the navigation/radio head unit feels dated with pixilated fonts and poor resolution.

The separate in-dash multifunction screen showed up for duty on our Civic Si. The display toggles through a variety of screens to show radio station, fuel economy, power output and the like, presenting the information in the same plane as the digital speedometer. Overall, it was easy to use and attractive, but the detail it presented was limited. One assumes this is an interim step as Honda refines its infotainment strategy on the Civic, and as long as it's moving in the direction of this display and away from the radio/navigation head unit, improvements should be forthcoming.

EXECUTIVE EDITOR ROGER HART: The mechanicals on this car are terrific. The four-banger revs like crazy, and I'm glad Honda put lights on the dash to tell you when i-VTEC is engaged because it no longer changes the engine note as dramatically as in past Hondas. The steering is quick and precise, the suspension is more hunkered down than on the base Civic, and with the precise shifter it all adds up to a sporting drive. It's just too bad that the exterior and interior styling are just so, well, bland. There's really nothing there that hints at any excitement.
I'm not a huge a fan of the split dash, with one gauge cluster behind the wheel, another midpoint on the dash. I guess it all works, but for me, it took some getting used to. It seems gimmicky at best and it's not all that functional.

Some cars look terrific and then don't live up performance-wise to their looks. I'd say the Civic Si is just the opposite. If you can get past the bland exterior and so-so interior, it's a really fun car to drive, especially if you like engines that live to be wound to seven grand.

ART DIRECTOR TARA KLEIN: The experience in this 2012 Honda Civic Si coupe, while much better than the EX-L sedan, still left some basic needs unsatisfied. I agree with Roger and Andy that this car was way more fun to drive and impeccably responsive in all respects, but the packaging of this vehicle just doesn't hit the mark.
The exterior is boring, the interior is pretty blah as well, and I still don't quite understand the dual displays. It seems a tad overkill and unnecessary to me.

And talk about noisy--this Civic might have the loudest cabin noise I've experienced. I was driving home on a patched-up highway and it sounded as if I was driving on a rumble strip the entire way. I take this road home everyday and it has never triggered an auditory response quite like that in this Civic.

While this time in the Si steered my opinion a couple notches in the right direction, it's still far behind where it should be.

ASSOCIATE EDITOR JONATHAN WONG: It pains me to say this, but this isn't really a Civic Si in my book. Sure, it has a stiffer suspension, bigger 17-inch rims, a rear spoiler, aluminum pedals and shift knob and deeper bolstered seats, but the engine disappoints me. Yes, the more powerful engine with 201 hp (up 4 hp from the 2011 model) and 170 lb-ft of torque (up 31 lb-ft from the previous car) is what bothers me here.

Why is that? A proper Civic Si, in my opinion, has to have a high-revving engine with power peaking way up there. But how about the nice jump in torque, you say? Doesn't matter, because torque and a Civic Si do not go together in my mind. Did the Acura Integra Type R have torque? No, but it had an 8,400-rpm redline and pulled nicely if you kept the revs up. Honda S2000? Nope, but it spun up to 9,000 rpm or 8,000 rpm depending on what model year you're talking about and that car is a kick in the pants to drive. Am I wrong?

Fact is, this new 2.4-liter four-cylinder isn't special. I mean, you'll find a variant of this engine under the hood of the Accord and the CR-V. A 7,000-rpm redline is disappointing compared with the previous 2.0-liter's 8,000-rpm redline. Is there anything redeeming about the drivetrain? Yes, the six-speed manual is still here in all of its slick-shifting glory, and there is a standard limited slip.

There were also a few things I noticed in the interior. First, the gas pedal isn't bottom-hinged as in the previous car, which I know some people really liked. I don't care either way because Honda has always gotten its pedal placements right, be it top- or bottom-hinged. But I did mind the seat materials. The previous Si had seats trimmed with an Alcantara-like material and mesh inserts, while the new car uses a less expensive and slippery material. It goes along with the overall theme of the lessening of the quality of the interior overall with the deletion of soft-touch surfaces. I will say none of the plastics and trims look bad and there is some interesting graining on all of them, but I do miss the old interior.

How does the car handle? I do long for the days of double wishbones, but that isn't going to happen. But it still handles well with good grip (especially with our test car's summer tires), snappy steering response and grabby brakes, and you can place the car wherever you want without much trouble. It's very well balanced. Understeer? Of course, but the car communicates its limits to the driver well. Ride quality also has been fine-tuned some and won't come close to beating you up.

After my initial run with the new Si, I'm a bit disappointed. Maybe it will grow on me after a couple more at-bats with it. Just really miss that 8,000-rpm redline and the overall design doesn't do enough to really make it standout in the bland and boring Civic lineup.

NEWS EDITOR GREG MIGLIORE: This orange ball of fire is one of the most fun cars to drive that Honda makes. The 2012 Civic coupe in Si trim is lightning-quick with its shifts yet is easy to operate and smooth. Novices would be pampered by the smooth clutch engagement on this six-speed. The throws are satisfying and quick, and the shifter is short and easy-to-grip--making driving almost like that in a video game. As others have noted, the steering is precise and responsive. I loved the weighted, balanced steering that felt light beneath my fingers as I carved up rush-hour traffic on the way to One Autoweek Tower with the air conditioning and Springsteen cranked.
The chassis is tight without being abusive, and everything is well-composed through corners. It feels sporty, which is what the buyers of this car are seeking. I like the looks. The only thing you can beef about is they look they same. It's not a bad-looking car, it's just not different. I did find the interior to feel a bit mundane. The dashboard parts just seemed to be of lesser quality, though to the touch they were fine. The speedometer in the center was very useful.

Checking in at 2,900 pounds with a potent 201-hp four-cylinder while stickering for just less than $25,000, the Si is an excellent package of power, punch and value--all in a smart balance.

2012 Honda Civic Si Navi Coupe
Base Price: $24,675
As-Tested Price: $24,675
Drivetrain: 2.4-liter I4; FWD, six-speed manual
Output: 201 hp @ 7,000 rpm, 170 lb-ft @ 4,400 rpm
Curb Weight: 2,897 lb
Fuel Economy (EPA/AW): 25/26.1 mpg
Options: None

• Staff
Civic-Minded: Serving Americans for Nine Generations

07_2012_honda_civic_si_ny.sized.jpg

By the time you read this, Honda’s ninth-generation 2012 Honda Civic will be rolling onto American roads at a rate of around 700 per day. Since it debuted as a 1973 model, the Civic has sold nearly 9 million units in the U.S., in every form from coupe and sedan to hatchback and wagon. Given the volume and variety, chances are high you or someone you know has owned a Civic. Or three. In honor of the ninth gen, here are a few Civic details from the previous eight gens as well as some 2012-model context for good measure.

In April 1973,Motor Trendtested the original Civic, which cost—yep—$1973. (Interesting aside: First known use of “factoid” occurred in 1973.) The 1552-pound hatch, with a 50-horse I-4, reached 60 mph in 14.3 seconds and returned observed fuel economy of 20.4 mpg. The 2012 in this issue, a 140-horse, $21,255, 2725-pound sedan, delivered 60 in 9.1 with fuel econ of 29.4.

The second-gen Civic appeared in 1980, garneringMT’s ImportCar of the Yearaward. At 1822 pounds, the $4949 hatch had an 88.6-inch wheelbase and, among ICOTY competitors, it put down the shortest 60-0 span of 150 feet. This issue’s four-door EX has a 105.1-inch wheelbase and halted from 60 in 126.

“Rollerskate GT” is how we described Gen 3’s 1984 Civic CRX, a $6600, 76-horse two-seater that, with an independent front/semi-independent rear suspension and 175/70R13 Michelins, held for 0.85 g of lateral grip, same as that of a ’12 Fiat 500. Less sticky is the ’12 Civic EX’s 0.81.

When the ’88 fourth-gen Civic bowed, the “most powerful” tags went to the 105-horse CRX Si and 4WD wagon. With the exception of the CRX HF’s eight-valve 1.5-liter, the remaining powerplants boasted 16 valves. Today, one Civic, the Hybrid, has eight valves; the rest, 16.

Gen 5 debuted for 1992 and I remember it well—I owned a red Si. Anti-lock brakes weren’t available, but a driver-side airbag, split tailgate, and giant 14-inch wheels came standard. What a car. MT’s December 1991 issue lists 0-60 in 8.5 seconds. And 2012’s 201-horse Si? We haven’t tested one yet, but I predict a stat better than 6.5.
In 1995 Honda unveiled the sixth-gen ’96 Civic, which we dubbed “The next best thing to an Acura economy car.” An ultra-fuel-efficient model, the HX Coupe, joined the lineup, armed with a 1.6-liter, 115-horse I-4 and a CVT good for 33 city/41 highway mpg. 2012’s fuel miser, the HF sedan, offers 140 horsepower, a five-speed auto, and 29/41 mpg. Progress? In terms of fuel econ, not really. But, unlike the HX, the new HF comes standard with four more airbags, two extra doors, ABS, stability control, and air conditioning.

For 2003, a year after Gen 7 appeared, Honda introduced the first Civic Hybrid with combined output of 93 horses. Based on today’s EPA standards, fuel economy would come in at 40 city/43 highway. Ten years later, the 2012 Civic Hybrid moves ahead with a total rating of 110 ponies. The EPA numbers? An even 44/44.

The eighth gen made its formal entrance for 2006, dressed in a sleek, new “mono-form” body. Color us impressed. We named it our 2006 Car of the Year, writing, “The automotive joy that Honda Motor Company was founded on radiates from these new Civics.” In 2010, 252,882 of 260,218 new Civics sold in the U.S. were produced in North American plants; the remaining 7336 came from Japan. If the Civic were its own brand, ’10 sales would put it ahead of Volkswagen (256,830), Mazda (229,566), and Mercedes-Benz (224,944).

-motortrend

• Staff
New York 2011: Honda Civic Hybrid scores 44 mpg across the board

01_2012_honda_civic_hybrid_ny_opt.jpg

It's not 50 miles per gallon (rest, easy Prius), but the mpg numbers for the 2012 Honda Civic Hybrid are improved: 44/44/44. That's city/highway/combined, and it's a nice jump – especially in the city – from the 40/43/41 numbers sported by the 2011 model.

The New York Auto Show this week has been full of "40 mpg" claims from many automakers, but these have mostly described just one of the three ratings categories (usually highway). To have Honda announce you get an estimated 44 miles to the gallon no matter how you drive deserves a bit of praise.

The reason for the fuel economy boost lies, in part, with the upgraded battery pack used in the Honda Integrated Motor Assist system. Instead of the nickel-metal hydride batteries used in previous Civic Hybrids, the '12 version cruises along with 20-kW worth of li-ion cells. Compared to the NiMH pack, the lithium-ion battery is 5 kW more powerful and also a bit lighter. The gas engine has also been upgraded from 1.3 liters to a 1.5-liter i-VTEC four-cylinder, and the full system offers 110 combined horsepower at 5,500 rpm.

-autoblog

• Staff
2012 Honda Civic, Ford Focus Among New Crop of 40 MPG Safety Leaders

• The 2012 Honda Civic and Ford Focus, along with the 2011 Hyundai Elantra, Lexus CT 200h, Nissan Juke and Toyota Prius, are the new crop of 40-mpg safety leaders in the small-car segment, according to the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety.
  • At the bottom of the class are the 2011 Suzuki SX4 and Dodge Caliber.
  • The 2011 Honda CR-Z, Honda Insight, Nissan Versa, Scion xD and Nissan Sentra were in the middle of the pack in the small-car safety evaluation.
gal_lg1.jpg

The 2012 Honda Civic and Ford Focus, along with the 2011 Hyundai Elantra,Lexus CT 200h, Nissan Juke and Toyota Prius, are the new crop of 40-mpg safety leaders in the small-car segment, according to the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety.

At the bottom of the class are the 2011 Suzuki SX4 and Dodge Caliber. The SX4 is rated marginal for rollover and rear protection while the Caliber is rated marginal for side protection. In an unusual twist for small cars, none of the 13 tested earned a poor rating in any of the four tests, notes the IIHS.

The 2011 Honda CR-Z, Honda Insight, Nissan Versa, Scion xD and Nissan Sentra were in the middle of the pack in the small-car safety evaluation.

IIHS says that of the six small cars that earned the coveted Top Safety Pick designation, all have at least one version with an EPA fuel economy rating of at least 40 mpg.

"This is a turnaround from a few years ago when small cars struggled to earn top safety ratings," said the IIHS in a statement on Thursday.

The new round of IIHS crash tests comes just a day after the release of a new Consumer Reports survey that said car buyers want better fuel economy, but are not willing to sacrifice safety.

"The tough economy and high gas prices are driving consumers to prioritize fuel economy with their next car purchase," the survey said. "To save at the pump, (buyers) are willing to compromise on purchase price, amenities, and size but not safety."

The price of gas has tumbled a bit in the last couple of weeks and stood at $3.84 for a gallon of unleaded gasoline, according to the U.S. Energy Information Administration.

-insideline

• Staff

Honda Achieves Its Best-Ever Result in 2011 J.D. Power and Associates Initial Quality Study

gal_lg2.jpg

Honda leads industry with seven segment-leading models, more than any other brand.
Honda Manufacturing of Indiana Earns Platinum Plant Quality Award

The Honda brand earned its best-ever ranking in J.D. Power and Associates' Initial Quality Study(SM) (IQS) for 2011, finishing second among all surveyed brands, including premium makes, the company announced today. Honda also led the industry with seven models earning the highest initial quality ranking in their respective segments, including its top-selling Accord and Civic models.

The Acura brand finished third overall in the 2011 IQS.
In the manufacturing realm, the 2011 study recognized three Honda plants for superior quality, including Honda's newest U.S. auto plant in Greensburg, Ind. Honda Manufacturing of Indiana, producing the Civic Sedan, was one of only three plants around the world to earn the Platinum Plant Quality Award. The Suzuka, Japan plant, line 1, earned a Silver Plant Quality Award, Asia Pacific (tie), for production of Civic and Insight, while the East Liberty, Ohio, plant took home a Bronze Plant Quality Award, North/South America, for production of the Accord Crosstour, CR-V and Element.

"Creating products of the highest quality and value is the foundation of our business, and it begins with a deep understanding of the customer," said Tetsuo Iwamura, president & CEO of American Honda Motor Co., Inc. "These results are an important demonstration of our focus on the customer and the tireless efforts put forth by Honda associates throughout our organization — in R&D, in manufacturing and in sales — to exceed their high expectations of Honda and Acura."

Of the seven Honda models earning the highest initial quality score in their segment – the most segment leaders of any brand – five were manufactured in North America: the Civic (compact car); the Element (compact crossover SUV — followed by the CR-V in second place); the Accord (midsize car); the Accord Crosstour (midsize crossover SUV); and the Ridgeline (midsize pickup). Those five models were joined on the 2011 segment leader list by the Insight hybrid (compact car, tie) and Honda Fit (sub-compact car).

Honda automobiles made in North America are produced using domestic and globally-sourced parts.
J.D. Power and Associates' Initial Quality Study serves as an important tool for consumers in evaluating the quality and design of new vehicles. Since 1987, J.D. Power and Associates has been surveying owners to measure the initial quality of new vehicles after the first 90 days of ownership. - JD Power

• Staff
It's hard to comprehend but the 2012 Honda Civic is the ninth generation of the Civic, which has sold more than 8.8 million units in the United States through 2010 since its launch as a 1973 model. Honda continues to deliver what one expects from a classic, compact sedan.

The Honda Civic has long been known for being, as the Japanese manufacturer points out, "a fun-to-drive compact that is simultaneously fuel efficient, sporty, … and durable." The company tried to throw in "stylish" too but I can't concede that point. In the 38 years the Honda Civic has graced our shores, the sedan has never made me do a double take. (I had a used 1995 Honda Civic with a 5-speed manual transmission that served me well for many years.)

What's got me sold most on the 2012 Honda Civic I spent a week with courtesy of Honda? It's comfort and lack of pretense. The 2012 Honda Civic EX is a car I wanted to drive. Sure, my two daughters, ages 6 and 3, were probably underwhelmed (the oldest really wants a Hyundai Equus that she calls a Korean limo) but I had nary a complaint with the ride or quality of this car.

For 2012, the Civic chassis was developed to maximize driving enjoyment as well as passenger comfort and safety. It's against my nature to agree when a manufacturer calls a compact sedan "fun to drive," but the Civic really is.

Is it sports sedan fun to drive? Let's be realistic. It's not but Honda's highly developed MacPherson strut front and multi-link rear suspension systems, along with Motion-Adaptive Electric Power Steering for excellent steering performance, contribute to deliver a fun driving experience.

One of the reasons I envy engineers is for their ability to do illogical things. The 2012 Honda Civic sedan has a wheelbase that is reduced 1.2 inches to 105.1 inches, with the overall length, width and height the same, yet the interior space is somehow increased. A roomier cabin on a shorter wheelbase does make for a more enjoyable driving experience. (Automotive engineers – please don't write me. I do understand the basic engineering. I just admire what you can do.)

Fuel economy was strong in the week I had with the 2012 Honda Civic EX loaned to me by Honda. With my usual mix of city and highway driving, I was able to obtain about 33 mpg. The EPA rates the Civic at 28-mpg city and 39-mpg highway from its re-engineered 140-horsepower, 1.8-liter I-4 engine.

On the safety forefront, every Civic has as standard equipment the newest generation of vehicle stability assist, an anti-lock braking system (ABS) with brake assist, side-curtain airbags, front-side airbags with a passenger-side occupant position detection system and a front seat design that can help reduce the severity of neck injury in the event of a rear collision.

Similar to the previous-generation Civic, an Advanced Compatibility Engineering body structure in the front of the vehicle helps make the vehicle highly effective at absorbing and disbursing the energy of a frontal crash. The Civic also gets IIHS's top score.

It's amazing how far small cars have come in terms of energy absorption in crashes. Dispersing the energy around the passenger cabin is an effective means for protecting the occupants. Cabin integrity along with things like airbags is an important key to walking away from crashes that once routinely killed people.

Let me give Honda the floor to explain this a little more in depth (and explain why you should strongly consider this when buying a car): "Unlike most conventional designs that direct frontal crash energy only to the lower load-bearing structures in the front end, the ACE system actively channels frontal crash energy to both upper and lower structural elements, including the floor frame rails, side sills and A-pillars. By creating specifically engineered 'pathways' that help distribute these frontal impact forces through a greater percentage of the vehicle's total structure, the ACE system can more effectively route them around and away from the passenger compartment to help limit cabin deformation and further improve occupant protection."

The only area I can quibble about the Civic EX is price. It has an MSRP of $20,505 that I don't feel is a great value when compared to vehicles like the Hyundai Elantra, which cost $20,195 in a similar trim level but offers so much more, and the Toyota Corolla, which has an MSRP of $18,600. The EX, with its cloth seats,
seems a bit overpriced above $20,000. It feels more like an $18,000 car.

VITAL STATISTICS of 2012 Honda Civic EX
  • Wheelbase: 105.1 inches
  • Length: 177.3 inches
  • Width: 56.5 inches
  • Height: 69.0 inches
  • Curb weight: 2765 lbs.
  • Engine: 1.8-liter I-4 engine
  • Horsepower: 140 horsepower
  • Torque: 128 lb. ft.
  • EPA estimated mpg city/highway: 28/39
  • Base price: $15,805
  • As-tested price: $20,505
-torquenews

• Staff

2012 Honda Civic: Still a contender in the compact class

Refined ride and good fuel mileage big pluses in small car

131463283488478500.jpg

Honda Motor Co.
Honda redesigned the 2011 Civic but did not change its basic character.

Consumer Reports shocked the automotive world earlier this year when it refused to recommend the 2012 Honda Civic. The consumer rating service had praised the quality and economy of the Civic for many years, naming it a Top Pick in the compact category as late as 2007. But in early August it said the revised Civic does not stack up well against three other compacts: the new Chevy Cruze and the redesigned Ford Focus and Hyundai Elantra.

So is the Civic no longer a good car? Not at all. During a week of test driving, we found a new Civic EX to be an attractive, comfortable, pleasant car that returned well over 30 miles per gallon in mixed driving. Although it is not as radically-styled as either the Focus or Hyundai, the Civic is more distinctive than the somewhat generic Cruze. The interior is simpler than any of the other three cars, but all the controls were easy to find and work. It can also carry five adults as well as the Cruze, Elantra and Focus.

Consumer Reports is right that Honda did not seem to set its sights very high when it designed the Civic for 2012.
Although it is larger and more angular than the previous generation, it takes a keen eye to tell them apart at a glance. The biggest exterior changes are an additional crease above the door handles and bigger tail lights, not exactly bold styling statements. Nevertheless, the 2012 Civic is a still a good-looking car, especially considering how innocuous most compacts used to be.

The interior could have benefited from more attention. Although it is roomier and has some upgrades, Honda chose to keep the odd split dash that features a digital speedometer on the upper level and a large analog tachometer on the lower one. Placing so much emphasis on the tachometer in a car that more people will buy with an automatic transmission is a strange decision. Even though it can be shifted manually through the first three gears, we cannot imagine many drivers will ever do so. And those choosing the manual transmission will not find the layout very sporty. The Cruze, Elantra and Focus all benefit in comparison from more conventional instrument designs.

On the road, our test car drove well. It was slow off the line in the Eco mode meant to maximize mileage but acceleration was adequate when it was off. The ride was smooth, even over broken pavement. The electronic-assisted steering was as precise as any of those we’ve tested and better than some that seem slightly detached from the front wheels. Although Consumer Reports complained about the brakes, we didn’t find them lacking.

Perhaps Consumer Reports made a mistake by only testing the LX model, which is just one step up from the entry-level DX. Our EX came with features that made driving more enjoyable, such as an upgraded stereo and navigation system. It also costs a couple thousand dollars more than the LX model, however.

It’s worth noting that the Civic comes in two versions that cannot be found among most other compacts on the market – a more fuel-efficient hybrid model and a two-door. Both the sedan and coupe are available in sporty Si trim that includes a more powerful 2.4-liter inline four-cylinder engine. The Civic is not available as a hatchback. The trunk is large and deep, however.

Despite what Consumer Reports says, the 2012 Civic is a solid entry in the company class that deserves to be test driven by anyone looking for a well-built economy car. Honda has more than paid its dues in that field over the years and should not be written off.

Facts and figures

• Model: 2012 Civic.
• Manufacturer: Honda.
• Class: Compact car.
• Layout: Front engine, front-wheel-drive.
• Style: Two-door coupe; four door sedan (as tested).
• Engines: 1.8-liter inline four cylinder engine (140 hp, 128 ft-lbs — as tested); 2.4-liter inline four cylinder engine (201 hp, 170 ft-lbs); 1.5-liter inline four-cylinder engine and electric motor (110 hp, 127 ft-lbs).
• Transmission: Five-speed manual; six-speed manual; five-speed automatic (as tested).
• EPA estimated city/highway mileage: 28/39 (as tested); 29/41 (HF); 44/44 (hybrid).
• Price: Beginning at around $16,000 ($22,775 as tested).

-edmunds

• Staff
Reader Review of the Week: 2012 Honda Civic

Tire Kicker from Atlanta recently purchased the redesigned 2012 Honda Civic. After test-driving a bunch of compact models in the segment, Tire Kicker chose the Civic for its roominess, comfort and superb gas mileage.

“I have had a 2012 Honda Civic LX for over three months now and actually like it. I test-drove other compact cars and liked the room, ride and comfort of the Civic over the others. I still drive a big Ford Crown Victoria, and the Honda’s ride is pretty darn good compared to the Ford. The interior could be made with more padding and soft materials so that the Honda would not look so cheap. The seats are comfortable. The air conditioning works great, which I really didn't expect as there is so much glass on the Civic. It has good visibility with all this glass area.

“The five-speed automatic transmission sometimes hunts when going uphill. The gas mileage is really good. It gets an average of 35.7 mpg going back and forth to work and scooting around the city while also sitting at those five-minute traffic lights. So far, it gets 41 mpg on an open road, cruising at 65 to 70 mph. I only have 4,800 miles on it so far so it probably isn't fully broken in yet. Gas mileage can only improve.

“I don't care for the sports-car feel as I am used to driving a large car with comfort. If I had wanted a sports car I would have bought a real sports car. This small car has almost everything that is needed to be a great car for going back and forth to work and rides well enough to take a trip in it. Time will tell how well it holds up, but since it has basically the same transmission and engine as the older Civics, it should do just fine. I also considered this before I purchased this car.” -cars.com

All-New 2012 Honda Civic Emphasizes Style, Fuel Economy and Performance

Two models offer 40+ mpg

Featuring the widest array of engine choices available in its class, the 2012 Civic is designed to even better meet the diverse needs of the compact-vehicle buyer when it launches this spring. The entire redesigned ninth-generation Civic lineup will become more fuel efficient with two models – the all-new Civic HF and the Civic Hybrid – each delivering fuel economy estimates of more than 40 mpg on the highway.

Built on the tradition of Honda fuel efficiency, the economical Civic HF model will be the most fuel-efficient gasoline-only powered Civic in the lineup when it launches this spring. Equipped with a 1.8-liter i-VTEC engine, the Civic HF is targeted to earn EPA-estimated fuel economy1 of 41 mpg on the highway. The 2012 Civic Hybrid, which will be outfitted for the first time with a lithium-ion battery and a larger 1.5-liter i-VTEC engine, is expected to achieve an EPA-estimated city/highway combined fuel economy1 of 45 mpg, an improvement of 4 mpg compared to the current Civic Hybrid. Both the Civic HF and Civic Hybrid models will be equipped with aerodynamic components for improved efficiency and Honda ECO Assist™ technology, an innovation that can enhance efficient vehicle operation while providing feedback to promote more efficient individual driving styles.

"The Civic is the only model in the industry that can deliver on all fronts – fuel economy, sporty performance, smart packaging, alternative fuel and long-term value," said John Mendel, executive vice president of sales for American Honda Motor Co.,Inc. "For the ninth-generation Civic, we are emphasizing improved fuel economy across the board, from the hybrid sedan to the sporty Si model."

In addition to the Civic HF and Civic Hybrid models, the Civic Sedan, Civic Coupe and Civic GX Natural Gas models are also estimated to achieve improved fuel economy compared to the current models. The Civic Sedan and Civic Coupe achieve an EPA-estimated fuel economy2 of 39 mpg on the highway, an improvement of 3 mpg when compared to the current model. The Civic Natural Gas vehicle is anticipated to earn a 7 percent improvement in fuel economy compared to the current model. The Civic Sedan, Civic Coupe and Civic Natural Gas models will all be equipped with the Honda ECO Assist technology.

Along with improved fuel economy, the new Civic lineup also delivers more performance, particularly with the Civic Si. The Civic Si sedan and coupe models will be equipped with a larger, more powerful 2.4-liter engine as well as a new 6-speed manual transmission. The new engine is anticipated to deliver 200 horsepower with 170 ft-lb of torque. Even with the larger engine and a 22 percent increase in torque, Civic Si is targeted to achieve an EPA-estimated highway fuel economy1 of 31 mpg; an increase of 2 mpg when compared to the current model.

The 2012 Civic lineup includes a sedan and a coupe with conventional gasoline models, a new "HF" high fuel economy version, two sporty "Si" performance versions, along with one hybrid and a natural gas alternative-fuel variant.

Additional information on the new 2012 Civic will be announced closer to the on-sale date. For more information on the current Civic and other Honda models, please visit www.hondanews.com.

Civic HF, Sedan, Coupe and Natural Gas Specifications
  • 140 horsepower, 1.8-liter i-VTEC™ 4-cylinder engine
  • 5-speed automatic transmission
  • ECO Assist technology
  • EPA-estimated Civic HF highway fuel economy: 41 mpg
  • EPA-estimated Civic Sedan and Civic Coupe highway fuel economy: 39 mpg
Civic Hybrid Specifications
  • 110 horsepower, 1.5-liter i-VTEC™ 4-cylinder engine (combined gasoline + electric)
  • Continuously Variable Transmission (CVT)
  • Lithium-ion battery
  • ECO Assist technology
  • EPA-estimated Civic Hybrid city/highway combined fuel economy: 45 mpg
Civic Si Specifications
  • 200 horsepower and 170 lb-ft, 2.4-liter i-VTEC™ 4-cylinder engine
  • 6-speed manual transmission
  • EPA-estimated Civic Si highway fuel economy: 31 mpg
1Preliminary EPA mileage estimates determined by Honda. Final EPA mileage estimates not available at the time of printing. Use for comparison purposes only. Your actual mileage will vary depending on how you drive and maintain your vehicle.
2Based on 2012 EPA mileage estimates. Use for comparison purposes only. Do not compare to models before 2008. Your actual mileage will vary depending on how you drive and maintain your vehicle.
-torque report

With more power, a lighter chassis and stiffer suspension, the next-generation Si is ready to rule.

gal_lg1.jpg

More Muscle
Under the hood for 2012 is a 2.4-liter, 16-valve, DOHC i-VTEC® engine that produces 201 horsepower and 170 lb-ft of torque. That's a 22 percent increase in torque over the previous generation of Si engines.
Less Weight
Weight-saving technologies and improved aerodynamics result in a new Si that's leaner and meaner. And because it's a Civic, it still gets an impressive 22 city/31 highway mpg[1].
Shift into Awesome
The smooth-shifting 6-speed manual transmission is perfectly paired with the Si's helical limited-slip differential for the utmost in handling and control.
The Si's instrument panel is home to a new, improved Sequential rev-limit indicator. Instead of a single shift light, a series of six sequential lights indicate rising engine speed. And when you get into the right rev range, a bright i-VTEC®light is your reward.
[1] 22 city/31 hwy/25 combined mpg. Based on 2012 EPA mileage estimates.
When we say the 2012 Civic is "next-generation," we aren't kidding.

Personalized Performance
The Si has a special version of the intelligent Multi-Information Display (i-MID). It sits front and center in the Civic's instrument panel, and can be set to show the info you need most, like current fuel economy and audio system information.
Power You Can Feel, and See
Use the i-MID to display fuel consumption information, audio status, or even your own personalized wallpaper image. And in the Civic Si, the i-MID also includes a unique power monitor mode, which shows current engine output as a percentage of peak horsepower.
A Wireless Wonder
Not only does the i-MID display your Bluetooth® HandsFreeLink®[1] status so you can make hands-free calls, the system is also ready for Bluetooth® Audio. Pair your compatible phone or player, and stream your music right through the Si sound system. Just one more of the i-MID’s many magical abilities.
interior_header.jpg

2012 Civic SI Next To 8th Gen Civic

2012_8.sized.jpg

2012_9.sized.jpg

2012_10.sized.jpg

2012_15.sized.jpg

A big thank you goes out to Joey for his side by side shots of the 9th generation civic si next to an 8th generation civic si.

Many more photos in the gallery on page 3 and 4
http://9thcivic.com/gallery/2012-Civic-SI-Coupe?page=3
http://9thcivic.com/gallery/2012-Civic-SI-Coupe?page=4

http://9thcivic.com/gallery/2012-Civic-SI-Coupe

Say hello to the next-generation Civic Si Coupe, with more power, more style and more ways to personalize it than ever.

http://9thcivic.com/gallery/2012-Civic-SI-Coupe

Spread the word, and check out the gallery for the full listing of 2012 Civic Si photos

Here it is:

2012 Honda Civic SI Official Interior Photos

View the rest of the 2012 Honda Civic SI Interior Photos In The Gallery -
http://9thcivic.com/gallery/2012-Civic-Si-Interior

Spread the word

2012 Honda Civic SI Sedan Photos Released

Check out the rest of the 2012 Civic Si Sedan photos in the gallery -
http://9thcivic.com/gallery/2012-Civic-Si-Sedan

Spread the word!

Well, some of us have been waiting for a good collection of SI photos, and now you have even more to stare at. Here is a nice collection of 2012 Honda Civic SI Coupe Photos -

The 2012 Honda Civic Si: 200-horsepower/170 pound-feet of torque 2.4-liter four-cylinder. The Civic Si achieves 31 miles per gallon on the highway.

01_2012_honda_civic_si_ny.jpg

02_2012_honda_civic_si_ny.jpg

03_2012_honda_civic_si_ny.jpg

04_2012_honda_civic_si_ny.jpg

05_2012_honda_civic_si_ny.jpg

06_2012_honda_civic_si_ny.jpg

07_2012_honda_civic_si_ny.jpg

08_2012_honda_civic_si_ny.jpg

11_2012_honda_civic_si_ny.jpg

14_2012_honda_civic_si_ny.jpg

15_2012_honda_civic_si_ny.jpg

16_2012_honda_civic_si_ny.jpg

17_2012_honda_civic_si_ny.jpg

18_2012_honda_civic_si_ny.jpg

Help spread the word about 9thcivic as the leading 9th generation Honda Civic Forum by liking us on facebook, following 9thcivic on twitter, and Registering to the site if you're a guest!

GUESTS - 9thcivic is Free to use, and you'll gain access to additional site features and options by signing up. You don't even need to register for an account if you already have a facebook login.

neverending info never ends....I thought I would never get to post, lol.

22mpg on the Si? do the testers keep the gas pedal on the floor the whole time?

22mpg on the Si? do the testers keep the gas pedal on the floor the whole time?
22mpg city is what honda has rated the new si. (unless I'm misunderstanding you?)

Yeah, thats what I saw you posted up there. 22mpg is madness! I don't think I have even gotten that low with the K20.

Back