2013 honda civic sedan.

AugustWest

I just purchased a 2013 Honda Civic and I'm very happy with my purchase. I had the oil changed today and was told that running conventional oil could void my warranty so I had the synthetic change done. I was told that the on board oil monitor computer goes 7000 miles until the next change. Is all of this true? I was going to do synthetic anyhow but I had no idea that's what the car came with...thanks to any and all responses....Peace

"Potential warranty problems: The language in some owner's manuals suggests that using an oil other than the one specified by the manufacturer will void the car's warranty. This is not the case, says Thom Smith, Valvoline's vice president of branded lubricant technology.

According to the Magnusson-Moss Warranty Act, the onus would be on GM or another automaker to prove that a non-manufacturer oil damaged the engine. If dealers deny the warranty claim without first investigating it, they are in violation of the act, Smith says.

Consumers just need to make sure that any alternate oil they use is comparable in quality to the automaker's specified oil. Many oil manufacturers, including Valvoline, are so confident of their product that they offer their own warranty against engine damage that their products might be alleged to have caused.

If talk of voided warranties and engine damage makes you nervous, just use the manufacturer's specified oil for the duration of the warranty. Keep in mind that a vehicle's engine falls under the drivetrain warranty (also known as the powertrain warranty). In most cases, this is longer than the traditional bumper-to-bumper warranty."

I think the only two 0-20 oils available in the market today are a hybrid blended oil from Honda directly, or a synthetic 0-20.

As for the interval:

There is no mileage interval. Your maintenance minder in your dash keeps track of cold starts, rpms, highway vs stop and go traffic etc. It then calculates when the oil needs changed. When you get to 15% on the minder, you're supposed to get the oil changed. The mileage will be different for everyone based on driving habits.

Back