2013 rotor/brake help

LX comes with drums, right? Maybe have them retrofitted for disc?
I would think these cars could be fitted with disc, since they are the same setup minus the rear brake disc.
From the way I understand it, it is about $2000 difference between the 4 wheel disc and the 2 wheel disc models(of course there's other things added to the upgraded model other than brakes, and it's the added $2000 that ppl choose the lx instead of the ex). I don't know if & how much it would cost to swap out the rear, but you could ask your dealer.

Why bother with upgrading the rear brakes to disks? It is an expensive mod without any significant upgrade in performance, since the rear brakes account for only about 20% of the braking force. If you are going to spend money in upgrading brakes, just do the fronts.

The rotor size on the 2012 LX is the same size as it was on the 8th gen LX.

This means you can run rotors for:

The 2006-11 Non Si civics

The RSX Base NOT THE TYPE S

AND SPECIFICALLY the 04-05 SI.

Calipers that fit these cars should fit as well but I do not have confirmation on that. It is possible that the caliper size is correct but may not bolt straight up. An adapter could be needed or some light machining on the mount/caliper but it does give you an option for some totally unnecessary but blingy big brake kits.

A blank rotor will give you the best performance but if you want a little "show" to go with it a set of slotted rotors won't compromise you too much. Drilled are generally not worth it. I have been running these particular rotors for about 45k and they have held up quite well.

http://www.corsportusa.com/store/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=1_322&products_id=28940

If you really want more brake force - which is limited by your tires. (If you can lock them up then the brakes are plenty strong, which the OEMs will do.) The best brake pad I have found thus far is the PBR/AXXIS ultimates. Serious bite but also a lot of dust.

This part number should fit:

Front: PBR/AXXIS 45-04650U

There are limited options for the rear drums. It's either OEM shoes, but they should last well over 100k, or Porterfields.

I believe that the Porterfield Shoe #913 will fit the 2012+ civic drums but it would be wise to call them first. You have to call to order anyway but they at least make a high performance drum shoe compound.

Rear: Porterfield 913

http://porterfield-brakes.com/product_info.php?productID=14617

Last edited:
The rotor size on the 2012+ LX is the same size as it was on the 8th gen LX.
are they 11.1" on the 8th gen lx's?

9th gen lx front rotors -
45251-TA5-A00

I know. I was pretty certain that the 8th and 9th gen were slightly different sizes but ebc lists the 2012+ as being able to use the same part numbers even though the honda # is different. I have not seen anyone else try the rotors out.

I know the 8th gen is 10.3

If the 8th parts fit then the rsx and older si parts should also since they are the same size as well. Unless the 2012 and 2013+ have different rotors... omg... lemme go look at part #s again.....

2012 Civic Coupe LX : 45251-TR3-A00

2013 Civic Coupe LX : 45251-TA5-A00

Ok so the part numbers have changed again. All above info is still correct but only for the 2012 civic apparently.

So 2012 and 2013 have different front rotors and they are possibly almost an inch different in diameter... jeez Honda, thanks.

I just remembered most of my post from previous research.

If the 8th gen is 10.3", I'd say that website is messed up. Maybe they meant for the product to show through 2011 instead of 2012 when the car changed. The 2013's still show as 11.1" as well. I'm not sure why there may be a part # difference between 12-13, but yeah.

Yeah, no one lists the 2013 as being able to fit that rotor which makes my suspicion that the rotor size has secretly changed.....

This is starting to getting annoying and worrisome when it comes to finding OEM parts for the 2012 down the road.

and it's only getting more fragmented with the 14's changes

Stupid Honda and unnecessarily responding to the critics instead of basing decisions off of sales...which were still good despite the damn critics. Not to mention many of the cosmetic changes were just mimicking competitors. :rantsmiley:

Back