2013 Si Coupe Head Unit Swap Questions

cmiller8494

Hello all,

I'm interested in swapping my head unit in my 2013 Si coupe (w/o nav) for one that has Apple CarPlay. I'm specifically looking at either the Kenwood DDX6903S or the Pioneer AVH-4200NEX. Eventually, I'll replace the entire system, but I'm going to do that in stages so I don't completely max out the budget. I've been reading through various posts here and I still have some questions since the info I've seen seems to be a few years old or isn't for the '13.

1- I'll keep the factory amp for now, so I need a unit that has preamp outputs, right?
2- I want to keep the carbon fiber look, so can I use the mounting hardware from the Metra dash kit with an oem nav trim piece?
3- I want to keep the factory steering wheel controls (both volume/prev/next Dpad AND the bluetooth buttons for hands free phone operation), and I understand I'll need a combination of the Axxess ASWC-1 and a Maestro RR. Will these two adapters allow me to keep all of the functionality as I'd like it to?
4- Will my factory backup camera still work on the iMid display as it does with the factory HU installed? I'm ok with not having it on the HU since I'm already used to my current setup.
5- Will I be able to retain use of the factory mic? Is there a necessary adapter to make it compatible with a new HU?
6- Is there some way of adapting the factory USB port to make it compatible with a new HU? If not, I presume the simple fix would be to figure out the desired routing for the supplied USB cable.
7- I've seen that all of the iMid display's functions (like the power meter, mpg, and vehicle settings) except for audio and phone will still work after a new HU install. Is this the case? I'm ok with not having audio and phone info on the iMid display since it'll be on the new HU anyway.

Any advice/reports from experience are greatly appreciated!

1. Yes all newer headunits have connections to keep the stock sub, you just need to buy the correct harness for the unit/car.

2. Yes you can use the metra dash kit hardware with the oem CF bezel, you may need to modify somethings in the back for it to work.

3. Yes with the correct module you can keep all your steering wheel functions.

4. Yes the OEM camera on the imid will still be there and work just fine, it has nothing to do with an aftermarket unit.

5. No your stock mic will not work you need to use the one that your new headunit comes with.

6. Honestly im not too sure about that one, I would I assume you can, unless you make some sort of custom harness.

7. Yes it will be fine, the New headunit will display the radio/phone calls for you, so it is really not needed on the imid anymore, plus like you said it will not display them anyway.

As I was saying before, look into the pioneer app radio 3 or 4. They are great unit and will do pretty much everything your phone does including browser, maps, youtube, etc.. Also about the harness for the unit make sure you buy the "premium audio" harness that way you can use the stock sub.

Thanks so much for your help, @r18-power ! Just a follow up question about the "premium audio" harness. In Crutchfield's list of installation accessories, the metra harness (in the included image) is what I think you'd be talking about. Does this seem right?

Attachments

• IMG_0371.PNG
    IMG_0371.PNG
    505.3 KB · Views: 90
Yeah that one should be the one, just email them to make sure, they have to have RCA outputs.

Can I route the backup camera to the aftermarket double din?

You cant plug it directly into the aftermarket radio and to the best of my knowledge no one makes an adapter... however, I believe it is possible but will require some DIY and some tools / parts / knowledge.
I don't suggest you attempt this if you're not familiar/comfortable with electronics / car audio / using a multimeter
You will need to locate 5 wires: Reverse signal, Camera Signal +, Camera Signal -, Power +, Power -
This will require a multimeter and either a cctv tester or mini lcd moniter (can find em on ebay for cheap) and also a 12v to 6v converter as well as a male RCA pigtail

Here is a link to the converter:

Amazon product
View: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CGQRIFG/?coliid=I2SIK1PJ64B9AF&colid=VGDKQL912JV1&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

and here is a link to a video that explains the procedure: (not a honda but same principal)

View: https://youtu.be/1u7RgCnaer4

Also... this might help. Its a pinout from the camera connector that goes into the factory Nav, not sure if it applies to your setup.

UaVVkSq.png

Back