2014 Civic EX Gas Mileage

I have a concern regarding my MPG on my Civic. The sticker for this vehicle says an AVERAGE of 30 MPG in the city and so far in my 650 miles since purchasing the car brand new, I have not seen ANYTHING above 22.8 miles per gallon. This is very concerning and upsetting to me as one of my main reasons for getting thing car was for the great fuel economy. I'm still going to give it time as maybe the engine isn't fully broken in yet, but I just wanted to get thoughts from other Civic owners on what they are seeing. Do I have a TAD of a heavy foot, yes, but to not even be seeing 25 is a disgrace to me right now.

Ive got a 13 LX and I remember having the same thoughts when I first got it. I even called the dealer and complained, posted threads on here about it as well. You've only got 650 miles, the engine is still being broken in. It'll get better with time, mine did.

This car is very sensitive to how you drive it. If you rip it around town it is definitely gonna be reflected in your MPG. Stop and go traffic destroys your mileage in this car, same with idling the car often.

The R18 civic gets great gas mileage only when you're cruising along at a constant speed. Do a highway run and see if you can get 35+ MPG. I bet you can

Last edited:
Reactions: Nix
Ive got a 13 LX and I remember having the same thoughts when I first got it. You've only got 650 miles, the engine is still being broken in. It'll get better with time, mine did.

This car is very sensitive to how you drive it. If you rip it around town it is definitely gonna be reflected in your MPG. Stop and go traffic destroys your mileage in this car, same with idling the car often.

Do a highway run and see if you can get 36+ MPG. If you can get that on the highway, your car is totally fine.

It seems like all I hear about cars today with MPG is how "This" ruins your mpg or "That" ruins your mpg. It's like, when does it end? How do you truly get the sticker number? Drive 10 MPH????

and thank you for your thoughts, but in my opinion, "Stop and go traffic" IS what city mpg is. That's how it was tested and that is why it was given the sticker number of 30. Going to give this another 1000 miles before panic sets in but with EIGHT miles below the average I can't be too optimistic, zipping around town a bit or not.

It seems like all I hear about cars today with MPG is how "This" ruins your mpg or "That" ruins your mpg. It's like, when does it end? How do you truly get the sticker number? Drive 10 MPH????

and thank you for your thoughts, but in my opinion, "Stop and go traffic" IS what city mpg is. That's how it was tested and that is why it was given the sticker number of 30. Going to give this another 1000 miles before panic sets in but with EIGHT miles below the average I can't be too optimistic, zipping around town a bit or not.

Heavy traffic in rush hour is NOT reflective of normal city MPG. That 30 sticker number is under absolutely ideal conditions. If you've got a heavy traffic commute, your mpg is gonna be brutal no matter what car you're in.

Sometimes I get concerned about my car too. I've got an average of 25mpg right now, but I know that's just because I've got heavy steel wheels and I only drive in city traffic. If I were to take a trip on the highway, I'd get 40+.

Trust me man, don't freak out and just give it time. I was in the same boat. The sticker numbers are just inflated and unrealistic and you car hasn't been broken in yet, with all city driving. That's why theres such a big discrepancy

Thanks. Definitely going to stay optimistic.

On a side note I don't think having steel wheels compared to alloy wheels have anything to do with MPG. If that was the case the sticker MPG would be different.

Are you going off the figures on the imid for gas, or are you hand calculating it at the pump? I can tell you that the figures on the imid are not correct.

It's just trying to calculate what it thinks you've done over a tank of gas based on some formula of mileage driven, rpm, etc. I've seen as bad as 15 percent plus or minus what they imid says I've done over a tank of gas.

I live in the city of Danville, Va., and haven't gone less than 30 mpg....... But Danville has way less traffic and stop lights than living on Long Island(been there/done that).
I'm also light footed. I see no reason why you couldn't get 33 mph in a small city/town if you tried.

The best way to test your car is to fill up next to an interstate and go for a non stop drive for a hundred or more miles, pull off and refill, and see what you get. If it get's 36 to 40 mpg, there's no reason the car would act different in the city, except for the area being so heavy.

What did the car you traded in suppose to get, and what did you get with it?

I had a 2004 Mazda 6 that I believe was 22/29 and honestly I never calculated it much ever. But it wasn't bad. Probably about the same as i'm getting now, maybe a little worse.

This is the first time i'm really testing it out bc a) i'm paying a lot for this car and b) with the IMID staring me right in the face saying 22.5 and i'm supposed to be getting near 30, it's concerning.

I had a 2004 Mazda 6 that I believe was 22/29 and honestly I never calculated it much ever. But it wasn't bad. Probably about the same as i'm getting now, maybe a little worse.

This is the first time i'm really testing it out bc a) i'm paying a lot for this car and b) with the IMID staring me right in the face saying 22.5 and i'm supposed to be getting near 30, it's concerning.

Change the screen option so it doesn't show you the mpg.......... It's like getting a temp gauge and then start worrying about if you're running too hot.

So this is your 1st new car?

I always buy new cars, so as not take on other peeps junk, but I keep them so long that each time I get a another new one, it's a price shock.......... like in 1968 I bought a new Triumph for under $2000, and Lotus Europa were about $3000. what's a Lotus cost now?
If you keep this Civic and put about 200k on it, you'll see it was worth it.

It's just trying to calculate what it thinks you've done over a tank of gas based on some formula of mileage driven, rpm, etc. I've seen as bad as 15 percent plus or minus what they imid says I've done over a tank of gas.
Our Imid is almost always 6% high vs calculated - short fills, multiple "shutoff clicks", and unfamiliar gas pumps can easily drive it to being 10% off.
That said a "lighter foot" should get you near 30 mpg average - we average over 32 (29 - 38 mpg per tank). BTW we have a '12 Si Sedan.

Our Imid is almost always 6% high vs calculated - short fills, multiple "shutoff clicks", and unfamiliar gas pumps can easily drive it to being 10% off.
That said a "lighter foot" should get you near 30 mpg average - we average over 32 (29 - 38 mpg per tank). BTW we have a '12 Si Sedan.
I was going to say something similar. I get about 29-30 mpg during the summer, 26-27mpg in the winter. 2013 Si Sedan. However, I had a noticed a similar outcome as the OP when I drove a '13 EX for a month. I averaged less mpg than I do in my Si. 24-25 or so

From the MPG numbers that people regularly state on here, that's what seems to be the case. In the real world the K24 seems to get rougly the same mileage as the R18. But the K24 requires premium gas, so it still ends up being more expensive.

Your mileage will get a bit better once the engine breaks in, but it isn't gonna double in efficiency or anything either. You'l probly average 4 or 5 higher in the city after 10k miles

Personally, I've stopped stressing about it after seeing over 40mpg on my iMid a few times. I may not have the ULTIMATE fuel efficiency car, but I'm still in the "good" MPG range. My fill ups are half as expensive they were on my old car, and I fill up half as often. It's all good

I didn't use my Icon at all this last tank, drove town only and didn't try to conserve and got 30.2 mpg.

Something else came to mind, when I 1st got my car I was doing things to see how it would accelerate and such, like playing with the instruments with the car idling........... That will eat gas!

I notice a 3-4mpg drop in colder months due to letting it warm up a few minutes before leaving. Also, blasting the heat and turning on the rear defrost will affect it as well due to the increased electrical draw.

Back