2014 civic si fresh out dealership issues please advise

2014civicsi

I've bought a brand new 2014 civic si from the dealership almost three weeks ago. i have about 650 miles now and i've done nothing but take care of the car. After a while, possibly during the first week, there was this whistle or whining noise sounding almost like the car was supercharged. it sounded kind of cool at first like one of those fake whistle turbos u put on the exhaust...but of course, it made me paranoid so i wanted it checked out asap. as time progressed, it got worse.
i went to the dealership saturday but only to hear that they couldn't find anything wrong, the exhaust wasn't leaking and that the sound is coming from the front of the car from the transmission area and not the exhaust. they said they couldn't find nothing wrong with the car and they didn't have another 2014 civic si to compare it to. please somebody help as the noise sounds terrible like if the car was a piece of **** toy car and its a shame because i spent all that money and its a beautiful car. i don't know too much about cars but even i knew the sound wasn't normal and my friends that are car enthusiasts said the same. they said could be a belt or something. PLEASE ANYBODY HELP ME..i'm helpless, i'm stressing and i don't know what to do. i love my car.

Last edited:
Check to make sure the cover for the airbox is on properly. Mine came off once and it made some funny noises.

Does it only come under certain conditions? ie becomes more prominent after 3000 RPM?

i believe so, yes..it doesn't whistle at idle, only when downshifting or accelerating. it sounds almost like a whining or whistling noise. it got worse as time progressed.

Check to make sure the cover for the airbox is on properly. Mine came off once and it made some funny noises.
This.
Also check all the intake tubing. Maybe the tube is not attached properly somewhere leaving a slight crack for air to leak.

Have you ruled out a loose fan belt?

Check for vacuum leaks.

This.
Also check all the intake tubing. Maybe the tube is not attached properly somewhere leaving a slight crack for air to leak.

by airbox, do you mean the stock intake?the black box that you remove when placing an intake?i don't know alot about cars, sorry..just basic **** like installing an intake, exhaust and crap..and no i haven't, i wouldn't know how to tell if the fan belt was loose

This.

but can't be the belt, tho man..the belt sounds different. it sounds like a squeaking noise..this is a whistle or whining noise, almost like a turbo or supercharger..except my car is stock. it's hard to explain but it sounds stupid and terrible. if you go on youtube and look up those fake whistle turbos u put on your exhaust, it sounds JUST like that

so if i was to install a cold air k&n intake, they can't void my warranty? (going off topic for a sec)

They need to prove that part caused the damage (yes, it would be like pulling teeth though).

Example 1: K&N intake installed, window switches die, you're covered. - It is unlikely an intake can cause a window switch to fail.

Example 2: K&N intake installed, you lose compression in one or more cylinders (either improper installation or defective filter and the like) and was found the cylinder walls are scored, piston seals shot, etc..., you're not covered. - It is very likely an intake let debris into the engine, causing damage.

As a side rant, I wish they had this in Canada, that warranty act...

by airbox, do you mean the stock intake?the black box that you remove when placing an intake?i don't know alot about cars, sorry..just basic **** like installing an intake, exhaust and crap..and no i haven't, i wouldn't know how to tell if the fan belt was loose
@2014civicsi my guess is something isn't right with your intake system. Either the top isn't sitting right on the air box (the black box that houses the air filter) or the tubing that feeds fresh air to the air box has some kind of leak in it.

They need to prove that part caused the damage (yes, it would be like pulling teeth though).

Example 1: K&N intake installed, window switches die, you're covered. - It is unlikely an intake can cause a window switch to fail.

Example 2: K&N intake installed, you lose compression in one or more cylinders (either improper installation or defective filter and the like) and was found the cylinder walls are scored, piston seals shot, etc..., you're not covered. - It is very likely an intake let debris into the engine, causing damage.

As a side rant, I wish they had this in Canada, that warranty act...
@KKaWing I had my piston rings replaced under the oil burning "recall" and I had a K&N SRI installed. The service advisor told me that I had to put the car back to stock before they would fix it so I spoke to the head mechanic. He said not to worry, they will do the work on the car without me having to put the stock intake back on.
The service advisor was just being an ahole! :mad:

I'm with ADExternal, take your car to another dealer, surely there is another dealer around that has an Si in stock that you can compare yours with and say "look, mine is whistling compared to yours, please fix it".

In this age of social media (ahem) I would think that the car dealership would bend over backwards to help you out.

Back