Darkout

Supporting Member
VIP Member
Cocoa, FL
Vehicle Model
Civic Si
Body Style
Coupe
Hey guys, just wanted to put a little question out there on the forums as my OCD has me slightly concerned about a minor noise. A little history of me since I'm not know around here yet but have been a mechanic for ford/lincoln/toyota/some landrover and all other brands as they float through the shop, not just oil changes but whatever was needed. Soo point being I'm in tune with cars just looking for any similar connections others have had with a similar concern. I have been driving manual since i learned how to drive 10 years ago but its on and of as far as what cars i had with auto/man.

My concern being since the second day of owning my brand new 15' SI with 30 miles (did all the test drive miles since 4 miles) i get this very faint clutch click when engaging the clutch. It happens in any up shift 1-6 and if memory serves me right in some rev matching downshifts as well. As per intermittent concerns allow its more noticeable at one time than another. When its being more noticeable i can actually fell the noise in my foot on the clutch AND in the shifter. Doesn't matter how well you rev match or if your 500 rpm above or below your target rpm, its intermittent.

Hunch being something in the engine bay is tweaking and hitting something else. I'm not gonna drive myself crazy as it really is a minor click most of the time (and its not the click from the clutch disengage switch that i noticed and figured out prior to this click) If after a few tanks of gas and a nice long easy break in, it still makes me concerned ill have it documented at the dealer.

Would appreciate anyone that can shed some light on the subject from experience or word of mouth cause my searching hasn't given much results.

-Jay

I find that in a lot of cases, when I hear clicking from clutches and foot brakes, specially with the newer cars(any brand/company).

There's a electric click box(sounds like clicking a ball-point pen), it lets the cars computer know when they are being used(a few reasons, like not allowing it to start when in gear if the clutch isn't depressed, or on a automatic the foot brake has to be depressed to take it out of park). So it needs a click box to let it know what's happening. Same as the clicker for the doors open/closed lights.

Depending on where the clicker is located might sound louder than others.

Webby nails another one lol thanks for that, i suspected the spring on the clutch peal as a possibility seeing how much it moved during actuation. I guess the fact i felt it through the shifter once pretty solid that i thought there might be something more.

I follow you Monk and much like in that previous thread Webby linked, sounds like a minor issue indeed. Time will tell but i have to go in at some point and see if they can re time my passenger seat track or have to replace it since it doesn't lock evenly. IE right side tracks clicks then pushed or pulled harder the left side will click. When you want to adjust the seat again you can see the whole seat unbind. No big as well just a minor annoyance that will be taken care of by them or me lol.

Sorry for a re-post on a similar issue but didn't see any other 15's with the issue speak up. Ill keep updating as i add more miles. Up to 186! And no other complaints except my face hurts from the smile i get every time i drive :domokundance:

I follow you Monk and much like in that previous thread Webby linked, sounds like a minor issue indeed. Time will tell but i have to go in at some point and see if they can re time my passenger seat track or have to replace it since it doesn't lock evenly. IE right side tracks clicks then pushed or pulled harder the left side will click. When you want to adjust the seat again you can see the whole seat unbind. No big as well just a minor annoyance that will be taken care of by them or me lol.
@Darkout I have the same issue with my passenger seat. I always figured it was because of the spring that pulls the seat forward was on one side of the seat so it's pulling more on the one side and that's what's causing the track on the other side not to lock in at the same time.

@Darkout I have the same issue with my passenger seat. I always figured it was because of the spring that pulls the seat forward was on one side of the seat so it's pulling more on the one side and that's what's causing the track on the other side not to lock in at the same time.

That's not a bad point but (and this is just my thoughts) if that was the case the the seat wouldn't cock left or right when locked into place. If spring tension was the issue on one side verse the other then in my mind it would bind a little when you release the handle and it slides pulling onto one side more so than the other. But if the tracks are even and timed then it should still lock into both sides evenly. (At least this is what my experience with fitment issues on cars.) Out of the 6 cars I've owned prior and all Honda's the families owned for that matter, I've never had the issue. I'd gladly go in myself and figure out what the problem is but i have a hard time putting a wrench on a brand new car other than oil changes. (Not that i haven't done it with plenty of other customer cars at work.) I might try to get a light under the seat to see if there is anything i can see off hand.

Quick edit since i walked out to detail the car quick, as the rain comes of course lol but i looked under the seat and there are springs on both sides so i think spring tension can be ruled out.

Last edited:
I get the "thump" noise from 1st to 2nd...and 2nd to 3rd. It happens twice, when i put the car into the next gear and then when i release the clutch. I also own an s2k and i work at honda, so it's not a matter of skill.

Ive driven with the radio off and attempted to do the 1-2nd or 2-3rd at multiple speeds and it only doesn't thump if your in vtec or close to redline...which it probably still does but it is much harder to hear.
I wonder what the problem could be and now im thinking cause of this thread it might not only be my 9th gen

Well i came across this post from and old thread that describes my concern almost exactly. Funny part to me is i always get the clunk at any rpm but never noticed the few times i got up passed 5k to relieve the itching i was getting from cruising around being good and breaking it in properly (1500-3000 rpm since i have to take the causeway to work at 60). Around 250 miles now and it seems to have gotten more noticeable and it happens on take off, just releasing the clutch to get rolling. If your super easy then it wont. The sound is identical to what a differential makes when a car's suspended in the air and you move a tire back and forth(if you know what I'm talking about)

It's said to be normal? Really makes me cringe hearing and FEELING it, which is what gets me worried.

I'm wondering about some parts that might be either lacking in quality/strength/endurance/etc. In particular "Universal-joints".
They were replaced on a regular bases when I was racing in England on my Triumph Spitfire........ Which really came from me not taking the time to not be jerky with my drive train.

Just saying, take a self'e of your actions, and think if you may be causing some of these parts to become clunky??????

I'll half agree that it may quite very well be myself learning the car. Other than 3 miles of the cars life before i bought the car, I was the only one to test drive it and even both test drives never felt it. I'm fairly competent so it wont take long for me to adjust if it is me. I just can't see what i could be doing wrong to get the clunk when slowly releasing the clutch on take off. 1-6 shifts i could understand driver error for harshness/jerkiness to cause the clunk. (Even when rpm's are within 100 of perfect rev matching and you don't hear the clunk, BUT i can feel the slight tick in my clutch foot and not the clutch cancel switch either)

Another way it'll make the same clunk is with the e-brake on and in first, release the clutch partially to slip it and every time it'll do it. Not talking clutch dump but as if you were testing motor mounts with slight torque from the engine. I saw that previous gen had clutch spring issues, wondering if that maybe be a possibility?

I will apologize now and probably again for being so persistent about this but this is my first new car and to drop 9g's on a down payment for me is huge, so i may over worry.

I think I have some similar issues and maybe some different issues from @Darkout

The "click" noise that I have is the same as the old 8thgens(which my old 8thgen had), which does not worry me as I had no other issues, apart from the noise, for the 87k miles of owning my 8thgen.

The "clunk" noise that I hear and feel a lot of the time, once the car is warmed up, when I go to depress and also release the clutch pedal. It does not happen all the time but I would say it happens 85% of the time. Tends to not happen when the car is cold.

So this is how I experience this "clunk" noise.....

So while cruising along at speed or in traffic.....I press the clutch pedal down, clunk.....shift into a different gear....release the pedal.....clunk. This noise/feel happens when the clutch pedal stroke is closest to the firewall. So pretty much when I assume the clutch is engaging/disengaging.

I have close to 1,300 miles on the car in about a month and a half of ownership. The car did have 30 miles when I got into it to do a test drive and drove it close to 30 miles on the test drive. The salesguy did drive it a bit hard but didn't think anything of it and I do recall that clunk noise/feel on the test drive.

@webby

I'm not sure what to say to your post?

but you haz all the answers! lol

Just tagged you so you could see it more than anything. Guess I'll be making a trip to the dealership....which Im sure I will get a "we can't replicate the issue" or " that's normal" :rolleyes:

yeah, you'll prob get the "that's normal" answer. A couple people did have their clutch replaced under warranty though....in the thread I linked above

Well after a few days of driving and learning the car i must say you really don't have to push that clutch in much to get a good smooth shift. All my noise worries now just replicate the *pop* on clutch engage/disengage as said to be normal which is a relief, still curious on to what is actually causing it lol. Beefier built trans characteristic maybe? I dunno :think:
Did finally get on :vtec: for a handful of pulls tonight, RMM is a must lol car preformed great though. Feel bad i pounded my baby at 450 miles but temptation caught me off guard :lildevil: but i think she liked it. It's amazing to me how quickly you can change gears vs other cars i've owned. Would almost always grind no matter how much clutch would be down but not this thing. Not to mention the grip and pull around corners from the suspension/lsd for stock. Mind you this is my first "performance" oriented car and I'm falling in love:love:

Back