2015 Honda Civic Type-R benchmarks the cream of the hot hatch crop

more rumors

There's a rumor out of Australia claiming the next Honda CR-Z will be based on the forthcoming 276-horsepower, turbocharged Civic Type R. Apparently Honda's research and development bigwigs have been unnerved by the reception of the Scion FR-S/Subaru BRZ twins and are eager to return fire.

Now, don't get too excited - Honda isn't following the Volkswagen model of offering virtually unchanged mechanicals in a different bodyshell (Beetle Turbo and GTI, for example). Instead, the report says the future CR-Z will retain its hybrid powertrain, albeit with a serious kick in the pants. A prototype is said to already be zipping around Japan with a turbocharged, direct-injected, 1.5-liter, four-cylinder engine and the current CR-Z's electric motor and battery pack. With a reported 221 horsepower mated up to a seven-speed, dual-clutch transmission (say buh-bye to the CVT and six-speed manual) and the next-gen Civic platform underneath, the rumored CR-Z has all the makings of a hot hatch riot.

Of course, this all sounds wonderful. This is also the point where you should be enjoying that salt. We really like the idea of a properly hot CR-Z that can compete with John Cooper WorksMini models and the newFord Fiesta ST, but the three-door hybrid has been such a slow seller for Honda in the US that it might not field a second generation here, no matter how improved it might be.

for that kind of money i could get a 5.0, evo, sti, or a 370z all of which will out perform this civic. i can't see spending that much on a fwd sports car.

Thank you! Some idiot on the other 9th forum was arguing with me about this and I told him honda wouldn't bring it because it'd cost as much as the cars you mentioned and people would rather buy those. Only true honda fans would spend that kind of money on a civic type R.

Although I disagree that all the cars you mentioned will out perform the civic on the track. The FD2 is pretty beastly.

Thank you! Some idiot on the other 9th forum was arguing with me about this and I told him honda wouldn't bring it because it'd cost as much as the cars you mentioned and people would rather buy those. Only true honda fans would spend that kind of money on a civic type R.

Although I disagree that all the cars you mentioned will out perform the civic on the track. The FD2 is pretty beastly.

I think Honda will bring the Type R to the U.S. again (Civic platform) There is a small group of hardcore Honda drivers (me included) that would dump that kinda money on a Type R. The exclusivity of the name alone drive (Honda) people crazy !!

I think Honda will bring the Type R to the U.S. again (Civic platform) There is a small group of hardcore Honda drivers (me included) that would dump that kinda money on a Type R. The exclusivity of the name alone drive (Honda) people crazy !!
Well we can only hope that one day they'll take a hit on their profits for us honda fans again.

Back