2015 si burning oil

ThatOneKid

Hi I just bought my 2015 civic si and I noticed today that its burned up half of its oil it only has 1600 miles on it can someone help me out?

Hi I just bought my 2015 civic si and I noticed today that its burned up half of its oil it only has 1600 miles on it can someone help me out?

Brand new car...take it to the dealer.

When you say "half of the oil", what are you basing that from? Did you verify it was at the top of the dipstick for oil level at one point? Where it is at on the dipstick now?

When i got it it was on the top level of the dipstick and now it is at the half mark

I have another question is it okay to use 5w-20 synthetic instead of 0w-20 or will that harm my engine

I have another question is it okay to use 5w-20 synthetic instead of 0w-20 or will that harm my engine

Why would you question the engineers? Do you have more experience or knowledge than they do?

Just use what the manual says to.

Okay thanks for the advice

No problem. Super common question unfortunately. Honda's goal is to produce a product that will not fail and keep customers around (loyal). Why would they suggest anything to defeat that goal. Just my view.

0w20 provides better protection on cold startups.

My dad said to use 5w-20 till we get the car fixed

You have no proof that anything is wrong with it at this point. What does he feel supports his conclusion to use a heavier weight oil?

fixed - as in the oil being down 1/2 a quart? Honda isn't going to do anything for that unless you burn over 1 quart every 1k miles. Just continue to monitor the oil over the next 1k miles and see what happens. If you take it to honda they'll tell you up to 1 quart per 1k miles is normal. Others have had oil monitoring done by honda. They have you come in every 1k miles to see your oil levels. There was a problem with some 2012's that required this. It's not uncommon to have some oil loss during break in. Just watch it over the next 1k miles and leave the oil as-is.

Thank you all just got it checked no leaks or anything factory forgot to put in the oil :/

The car will burn oil with in the first few thousand miles as your rings seat. I personally went through a hole quart from burning oil my first 5k service. Don't leak/burn a drop after my second and check every few weeks.

Stay with 0w20 as your motors tolerances are designed to push that weight of oil through properly. A thicker oil will cause a possible lack of oil symptom as your trying to push a thicker fluid through the same tiny hole. Ex. being the difference of blowing honey through a straw vs blowing water. Not such an extreme with oils but you can starve crucial bearings/parts of oil due to lack of proper flow.

I say your fine just keep checking, add 0w20 honda oil if your skeptical and see if it continues past your 5k oil change. Or if you prefer to use your oil light.

Stick with the 0w20. Also do yourself a favor and wait about 15-20 minutes of normal driving before you run the engine hard. A little bit of consumption is normal but I would continue to monitor to ensure it doesn't become excessive.

In my opinion what has been said is good advise.......
What I'm going to add is to help you and others to understand this lack of faith in the "0" part of the oil equation.

X / XX is the 1st number is for cold starts... the 2nd number is for running warm/hot after it warms up(the oil will actually run thicker..... So at cold it runs the oil though the system very quickly and doesn't take more than a few min. to start reaching the 2nd number....... most engine wear is starting cold after sitting long enough for the oil to drain off the parts and back into the sump...... It's the "0" that's new to people now days and need to understand "Old dogs new tricks".

As far as checking the engines oil level the manual say wait 5 min. after you turn the engine off before checking the level(to be consistent check at same time, each time after you turn the engine off).

Like what was said......... It's only a quart between the high/low mark and you said it had only dropped half way, that's a half quart...... add your driving it(playing with it) like you stole' it will blow oil more than driving like granny, but add a 1000 more miles, and you'll have a car that's being broke(run-in) in what to new world is saying to do it hard out of the box.

Give it a few more 1000 miles to see if the oil settles down........ I haven't heard of any 2015's having oil level issues.......

Back