8th gen Sportlines on 9th gen FB2

hey_mikey

Concord, NC
Vehicle Model
Accord Sport
Body Style
Sedan
just in case anyone missed this in my intro thread, i finally got around to installing my sportlines on my 9th. these were left over from my last civic, so i figured I'd see how they fit on here. if anyone else was wondering, this should give you an idea of what it'll look like.

It's a pretty good drop for springs, but might be a little too low for me. I definitely need better wheels and tires now...

imageuploadedbytapatalk1335155439-654690-jpg.1770

imageuploadedbytapatalk1335155476-968198-jpg.1771

imageuploadedbytapatalk1335155504-318261-jpg.1772

I used the 8th gen upper isolators in the rear.

nice drop!
can you do some measurments for me? do to i got a step drive way..
from front bumper to ground
oil pan to ground n stuff..thanks!

What rubber isolators did you use on the rear springs? Did you use the upper and/or lower isolators from the rear of the 2006-11 Civic, or did you just leave the 2012 Civic isolators in place?

btw I took the liberty of lightening up your picture so I could see your wheel gap. Looks good.

2012CivicSportlines.jpg

Thanks,
Chris

What rubber isolators did you use on the rear springs? Did you use the upper and/or lower isolators from the rear of the 2006-11 Civic, or did you just leave the 2012 Civic isolators in place?

btw I took the liberty of lightening up your picture so I could see your wheel gap. Looks good.

2012CivicSportlines.jpg

Thanks,
Chris

I left the 2012 lower ones in and used the 8th upper isolators.

Hey Chris, do you remember if the spring marked FL was for the driver's side on the sportlines? Because if so, the 9th civic has springs wound in reverse from the 8th. I.e., the spring marked FL matched the winding on the front passenger strut, and would only fit on there, and vice versa for the driver's side. I don't remember if that's how the springs fit on my 8th.

It doesn't seem to affect anything, and I like the ride of these better on this car than I ever liked them on my 8th. Even with brand new Si dampers on my last car, they seemed a little too bouncy for me, but it doesn't seem as bad the 9th gen. I was planning on running the Si dampers again, but apparently the Si and non-Si models now use different size bolts for mounting the strut to the front knuckle. Do you know anything about that?

nice drop!
can you do some measurments for me? do to i got a step drive way..
from front bumper to ground
oil pan to ground n stuff..thanks!

sorry, when i got home after work last night it was already too dark to take pics. it's pretty damn low. the bottom edge of my front mud guard sits just over 4" off the ground, and the edge of the bumper sits at about 6". here's some better pics.

20120424-IMG_1241.jpg

20120424-IMG_1242.jpg

20120424-IMG_1243.jpg

20120424-IMG_1244.jpg

20120424-IMG_1245.jpg

20120424-IMG_1246.jpg

wow thanks bud!
i think i might get 8thgen eibach sportlines!
a memebr with 8thgen skunk2 measure his for me n from bumper to ground was about 4 inches.. with the 6 inchs from bumper to ground is great! keep me posted on when it fully settles! loving it man

They should already be broken in because I had them on my last car for about a year. I doubt it'll settle any lower

sweet! looks sick! might get a pair! n u siad u use the rear upper rubber mounts thats all? hows the ride

Rides like drop springs. Haha. On straight roads feels almost stock until you hit big bumps. Then it's a little harsher. Turning is much better, stays flatter through the corners, and the extra camber helps these crappy tires grip better until I can get a proper wheel and tire setup.

All you need is the 8th upper isolators for the rear, but honestly, if I were you, I'd go with the h&r springs. The quoted drop is about the same as the sportlines, but they'll ride better. The sportlines and pro-kits tend to run out f travel and completely collapse (coil-bind) before the suspension runs out of travel. While it helps to keep the car from bottoming out, it also makes the ride worse. That's why on my 8th, I ran these with the Si dampers. The extra stiffness in the shock helped smooth out the ride.

I left the 2012 lower ones in and used the 8th upper isolators.

Hey Chris, do you remember if the spring marked FL was for the driver's side on the sportlines? Because if so, the 9th civic has springs wound in reverse from the 8th. I.e., the spring marked FL matched the winding on the front passenger strut, and would only fit on there, and vice versa for the driver's side. I don't remember if that's how the springs fit on my 8th.

It doesn't seem to affect anything, and I like the ride of these better on this car than I ever liked them on my 8th. Even with brand new Si dampers on my last car, they seemed a little too bouncy for me, but it doesn't seem as bad the 9th gen. I was planning on running the Si dampers again, but apparently the Si and non-Si models now use different size bolts for mounting the strut to the front knuckle. Do you know anything about that?

I would thing FL means Front Left.... both the 2006-11 Civic and 2012 Civic have left and right springs wound opposite to one another on the front. Rear is the same direction on the 2006-11 springs but opposite like the fronts on the 2012 Civic.

And the 2012 Civic Si has 16mm camber bolts (same as RSX) where the 2006 Civic has 14mm bolts (same as the Fit).

Chris

I would thing FL means Front Left.... both the 2006-11 Civic and 2012 Civic have left and right springs wound opposite to one another on the front. Rear is the same direction on the 2006-11 springs but opposite like the fronts on the 2012 Civic.

And the 2012 Civic Si has 16mm camber bolts (same as RSX) where the 2006 Civic has 14mm bolts (same as the Fit).

Chris

yeah but what i mean is the winding direction is switched. if i remember correctly, FL fit on the driver's side (front left side) on my 8th gen, but on my 9th gen, the winding was opposite, meaning FL only fit on the passenger side (front right side).

As for the bolts, i was referring to a difference between the Si and NON-Si models of the 9th gen. Someone on the other forum said the two have different size bolts, meaning the 2012 Si struts would no longer fit on a 2012 non-Si. I was just wondering if you knew if that was true.

yeah but what i mean is the winding direction is switched. if i remember correctly, FL fit on the driver's side (front left side) on my 8th gen, but on my 9th gen, the winding was opposite, meaning FL only fit on the passenger side (front right side).

As for the bolts, i was referring to a difference between the Si and NON-Si models of the 9th gen. Someone on the other forum said the two have different size bolts, meaning the 2012 Si struts would no longer fit on a 2012 non-Si. I was just wondering if you knew if that was true.

hmmm... don't know for sure about either of those things.
Chris

that passenger side strut you posted has a spring wound in the same direction as this illustration of the driver's side on the 9th Civic, which is what I noticed when I installed it. I guess no one else installing 8th gen springs noticed that before. In theory, as long as the spring seats are the same from right to left, I could just swap the dust covers and springs right to left and have the correct fitment with 8th gen springs.

If I have time tomorrow, I'll double check on my own car and try to post pics tomorrow to confirm.

2012-honda-civic-ex-l-sedan-technical-illustration.jpg

The bolts that attach the damper to the knuckle are indeed a different size between the SI and non SI. Si uses a 16x62 while the ex/lx/dx use a 14x57.

Back