9thcivic Tail of the Dragon Part II: Official Information and Attendee Thread

Now for my disclaimer:

For people who are new to this meet...DO NOT try your hardest to keep up with the veterans / more experienced drivers if you see us pulling away, we're not in a race, some just drive more aggressive and spirited than others. Whether it's at the turnaround, deal's gap, or Fontana, we will all meet back up, you wont lose us or get lost. Some "things" have happened in the past because people would overdrive the car or their abilities and make mistakes, I don't want to see anything bad happen this year, the meet last year went well without any accident or part failures (unlike the 9-car 8th meet). If you feel that I or others drive too fast let me know, chances are my car won't be as grippy as the WRX last year so I'll have to tone it down a notch.

I will say that the N.GA drive is pretty hardcore and there is the chance of getting lost so if you're a first timer or not confident in your abilities driving on roads like this you may want to sit that drive out or ride with the more experienced members who have done this drive in the past 2 years.

How fast can it really be? Isn't @etf driving a Volvo? :D

No seriously ETF, better wait up for me I don't wanna get lost and drive home alone.

Seriously, thanks for the heads up and words of wisdom. Inevitably, there will be groups of cars who drive at a comparable pace. Maybe we could even meet beforehand to discuss who would like to drive together, and at what pace.

Now for MY disclaimer. :) For people who consider themselves veterans/more experienced drivers: If you see high beams flashing within 6 feet of your rear bumper, please move over before some rookie passes you in a needlessly dangerous maneuver.
Seriously....I don't even want to be around somebody who would consider a needless dangerous maneuver! Let's be safe, people.

Ok, but does anyone know why that road is closed?

They're doing repairs to the bridge right before Fontana, that bridge was never great to begin with. 28 will be open thru the day but closed 8pm to 8am.

And what @etf stated, the dragon is one thing, because of pull off areas, but constant tailgating, flashing / horn beeping and especially double lane passing won't be tolerated and will be subject to a verbal ***-tearing courtesy of me.

As many of you know I don't tolerate BS like that and will be more than happy to confront you about it in person...just a warning...

Now for my disclaimer:

For people who are new to this meet...DO NOT try your hardest to keep up with the veterans / more experienced drivers if you see us pulling away, we're not in a race, some just drive more aggressive and spirited than others. Whether it's at the turnaround, deal's gap, or Fontana, we will all meet back up, you wont lose us or get lost. Some "things" have happened in the past because people would overdrive the car or their abilities and make mistakes, I don't want to see anything bad happen this year, the meet last year went well without any accident or part failures (unlike the 9-car 8th meet). If you feel that I or others drive too fast let me know, chances are my car won't be as grippy as the WRX last year so I'll have to tone it down a notch.

I will say that the N.GA drive is pretty hardcore and there is the chance of getting lost so if you're a first timer or not confident in your abilities driving on roads like this you may want to sit that drive out or ride with the more experienced members who have done this drive in the past 2 years.

Couldn't have said it any better myself......

Having a GPS with the address is also a good idea...

_________________-
Jeez! Where is the sense of humor around here?! So let me be clear: I apologize for not making my tongue in cheek more obvious. Really am. I have no intention of doing anything to endanger myself or others. I do intend, however, to tear up the twisties...(in ONE lane) and that's the extent of it. Anybody who wants to red line into 5th or get totally out of control should drive apart from the others.

As a former driving instructor, currently sitting shotgun to my brother a former police officer (who is killing my clutch and who will NOT be driving my car again) let me remind everyone that there are heavy fines, likely confiscation of your vehicle (temporary) and possible jail time for anyone who engages in competitive street racing. Not only that but the infraction stays on your driving record for 7 years instead of 3. At least it does in California. From an insurance point of view it carries the same weight as a DUI.

Have you guys really had problems in the past with 'tailgating, honking, and illegal passing'? Tell me now while I can still turn around!

Reactions: Nix
I'm impressed! Currently driving through upper West Virginia, southbound on the 19 at a 6% grade. Good stuff here! I just looked up after sending my last post -- dang, this is absolutely beautiful country! Roads are excellent... awesome sweepers, one after the other. I've been in almost every state in this great country... and so far this is right up there with the best...and i'm not even to the Smokies yet.

Happy travels everyone. See you all in a day or three. Peace!

No worries here. I'm going to be the slow boat anchor. Just cruisin. Going out to pick up some two ways tonight. Anyone got any suggestions? Brand/bands/number of radios?

Also I should be there between 6-7pm tomorrow evening if all goes well.

These group rides are no different than when you're driving by yourself(or it should be), it's up to you to keep a safe distance behind someone(2 sec.'s is the normal gap, or staying one curve apart to stay in sight).

If someone comes up behind you(that means they were going faster than you, or they wouldn't have caught up to you in the 1st place), so find a way to let them get by.(they might not even be part of our group).

Riding on someone's b-tt doesn't prove you're as fast, or faster than the one in front of you, you can prove the same thing by staying back 2 sec. and not losing "THAT" 2 sec. gap.
(another benefit by staying in sight, BUT keeping back, is if the car in front makes a maneuver or brakes when it doesn't appear to be for a normal reason, then it's telling you to be prepared for something wrong in front of the car you're following).

If there is a change of route and you can't see the car behind you wait till they get in sight well enough for them to see which way you're going(and everyone else should watch there mirrors till the full count is back in sight).

Here's a link on "The Pace"....... goes for any type vehicle:
http://www.canyonchasers.net/tech/the_pace.php

I'll admit I was a real *** in the past (when I had the white Legacy) but a lot of us have progressed past that. I just get cautious when there's several new attendees, 8ccd V and VI had this same issue too and several got way out of hand (pull up the youtube link of the blue lx spinnning....which was not @ 07tlx)

One reason why its stated that if you are new and don't feel comfy or want to learn the road ride with a veteran of the dragon....

People acting like arses is one reason why I didn't go for 2 years with the 8th group...

Back