A real look at F1 costs

webby

Administrator
Admin
Toys For Tots
f1_infographic.jpg

• Staff
I liked it getting 3.1 mpg, and ~5 million a season in gas.

Those costs are pretty low FWIW. It takes into account the cost of the individual parts however it does not include the testing/prototyping and designing all the variants of said parts.

I'll give you an example. McLaren are coming into this weekends British GP with 3-4 new rear wings and other aero upgrades different from the previous race.

The FIA also have a habit of changing rules mid season ( to "cut costs" ) which actually just mean more design work for the team which costs exponentially more than keeping the original rules would have. The teams have been working on exhaust blown diffusers so far this year. Basically when the driver lifts off throttle they map the engine timing to still force exhaust gases out and "blow" the diffuser for more downforce through the corner. They decided that this wasn't "right" and made the teams redesign their engine mapping and whole aero package to account for it.
Such hidden costs are never quantified.

Before they introduced some cost-cutting methods, Ferrari's budget in 2003/4 was just under $450million

Also, 3.1 MPG is pretty impressive for an 850hp motor at 18000rpm. Most club race type cars will get 6-8mpg.. with maybe 300hp max?

The 1.1mm maximum thickness of the brakes is wrong. IDK where they got that from. Good find Webz :P

:eek2: I knew professional racing was an expensive sport but geezzzzzzzz.

+ I love me a nice diagram.

Back