Accident w/pics

desiguyinnc

Long Island, NY
Vehicle Model
Civic LX
Body Style
Sedan
So I got into an accident today in my 2012 Civic LX. It was a rainy day in NY and some old guy in a 2012 bmw 3 series was coming out of the liquor store came out really fast and tried merging into my lane. I tried to brake but it happened so fast that I didn't know what to do. I called the cops and the officer took a police report and he said he thinks its the old guys fault. I took some pics and uploaded it.

My question is this, will my insurance rates go up?

And also, I have limited liability coverage, so I have to call the other guys insurance company up to get my bumper repaired right?

Also, are there any good aftermarket bumpers to get for this car? If I'm gonna replace it, might as well change it up a little.

Let me know guys!

Attachments

• hondaaccident1.jpg
    hondaaccident1.jpg
    140 KB · Views: 72
  • otherguyscar.JPG
    otherguyscar.JPG
    102 KB · Views: 71
Get the police report from the police station. If the police report said that it's not your fault, the other guy's insurance should pay for all damages that were done to your car. I don't think the insurance will pay for an aftermarket bumper.

Yes what dar-dar says
Wait for the police report that will decide who pays .
As for aftermarket parts .you would probably have to just cash the insurance check and have the work done your self .
The insurance company would only pay for oem parts.

Ny is no fault law. They won't decide. The insurance companies usually ask u what happened in detail while recording, and then deal with the other guys insurance.

Ny is no fault law. They won't decide. The insurance companies usually ask u what happened in detail while recording, and then deal with the other guys insurance.

The no fault law refers to the insurance company paying a persons medical bills, regardless of who's fault it is. It is not related to car repairs. Trust me I'm a doctor (well not really, i'm still in medical school).

Sorry for the mess. Make sure you file a claim with your insurance company and give them much information as you can. Also, forward them the police report soon as possible. Same thing happened to me when some dude crashed into my car and it was clearly his fault for not slowing down in traffic. Police officers won't say who is at fault until the report is done which took them 10 days. No your insurance won't go up when it's not your fault. Alot of times the insurance company will go ahead and fix your car now and go after the guy's insurance for reimbursement so give your insurance agent a call. Only downside is you will have to pay your deductible now which you may get that back when they get the guy's insurance money.

Next step is getting estimate for the repairs which will be directed by your insurance agent.

Good luck.

The no fault law refers to the insurance company paying a persons medical bills, regardless of who's fault it is. It is not related to car repairs. Trust me I'm a doctor (well not really, i'm still in medical school).

Oh ok. Thanks for clearing that up.

Sorry to hear about the accident. Darr\kk gave great advice.

My wife is an insurance agent and here is what she is thinking... If the report from the police states it was the other guys fault, your insurance should not go up. Even if the police state that it is mostly the other guys fault, you should be ok. However, she said that New York is a Comparative Negligence fault state. Percentages of fault can vary on what is paid and how it affects different things such as insurance increases, medical, etc. This has a lot of different nuances. But here is the basics of it:

Pure Comparative Negligence
Negligence law of
Washington State, Alaska, California, Arizona, Kentucky, Florida, Mississippi, Louisiana,
Missouri, New York, New Mexico, Rhode Island, South Dakota

Pure Comparative Negligence: a system that compensates for damages based on the level of fault of each party. A percentage of guilt is determined by the judge or jury deciding the case which determines the percentage of compensation.
Example:
For example, Lauren and Tom have an accident, but the jury decides tom is 99% responsible for his own injuries because of his failure to wear a seat-belt. In a pure comparative negligence system Tom is then responsible for 99% of his $10,000 medical bills and Lauren is only required to pay for 1% or $100.00.

As Darkk said; contact your insurance company and explain everything to them so you can get your car repaired. They will do the work of contacting the other guys insurance company. Just make sure you get the police report when it is available.

Thanks for all the input guys, I contacted the other persons insurance company and they are waiting on his statement as well the police report. They are sending an adjuster out to take a look at the damages. I stopped by the honda dealership I bought it from and they said the repairs are gonna cost me around 700. Thank god only the bumper is damaged, the guy at the dealer said sometimes the whole car frame gets warped and its a lot more work straightening everything out. The car is drivable so I'm just going to drive the car around until the insurance company gives me the final verdict. I will keep you guys updated!

$700 is not bad. It is even better if the other guy is 100% at fault and has to pay for everything.

Giving your report : Be sure to think about what you're saying/stating "It happened so fast I didn't know what to do" ...... With some thought it's probably more like "It happen so fast I didn't have time to do anything that would have lessened or avoided the impact", etc. Go over your wordage, I'm not saying to lie, just pick better phrasing.

It would do wonders if you wrote down what happened , read it then write it again , and so on to you get the words right in your head, so when you talk to them it will be more of the truth as you see it.

It would do wonders if you wrote down what happened , read it then write it again , and so on to you get the words right in your head, so when you talk to them it will be more of the truth as you see it.

Both very good points Monk. It could be the simplest misuse of a word that could change the opinion of what happened with the cops and the insurance company.

Well, when I filed my claim with Allstate I did it entirely online by filling out the questionnaire. It asked me about what got damaged, who is at fault and did anybody get hurt. Then it went into details about what parts were damaged. It didn't ask for my statement of what happened since all of that is going to be on the police report anyway. Monk is right about the statement part and usually the police will ask your version of what happened as well the other guy's and put it on the report. So the insurance company will have all of that from the police report.

Hope this helps.

Also, as for the bumper hopefully it's just that needs to be replaced but alot of times there are un-seen damages until it's taken apart. When the guy crashed into my car the hitch was messed up and some scratches on the rear bumper thinking just some touch up paint and hitch replacement which was like $900 to do. When I took it to the body shop after the other guy's insurance accepted responsibility they found portions of the flooring in the back got pushed and some other pieces were damaged so they had to fix that at total cost of $2,600! Since it was other guy's fault I didn't have to pay for anything including the rental for 3 days. So at the end everything was fixed and everybody was happy.

Back