Accidentally poured zMax engine treatment into fuel tank. Did I wreck my car?

blbw121

Hello everyone,

I was at the parts store today, and I saw the zMax fuel system additive and decided to try a bottle. Well, it turns out I grabbed the engine treatment oil additive zMax instead. I drove the car after filling the tank it up all the way for 2-3 miles. Is my car about to die on me? How bad did I ruin the car? I don't notice anything odd about how the car operates nor is there smoke in the tail pipe. I feel so stupid making such a mistake like this. I have '12 Honda Civic Si.

Do you have any way of flushing the fuel system ? aka removing all gas currently in the tank and cleaning out injectors, possibly even fuel lines.

Hello everyone,

I was at the parts store today, and I saw the zMax fuel system additive and decided to try a bottle. Well, it turns out I grabbed the engine treatment oil additive zMax instead. I drove the car after filling the tank it up all the way for 2-3 miles. Is my car about to die on me? How bad did I ruin the car? I don't notice anything odd about how the car operates nor is there smoke in the tail pipe. I feel so stupid making such a mistake like this. I have '12 Honda Civic Si.
Ask your dealer if they can remove the fuel from the tank...Most places can just disconnect the fuel line at the fuel rail and with the honda software they can force the fuel pump on and run the fuel pump until it drains the fuel tank. Then re-fill your car with 91+ and your good to go...I work at a dealership (not Honda) and we do it all the time

I was leaning towards draining the system completely but Zmax might say that it's fine to just run it through and burn it off. It might damage something though. Having it towed and drained is easily the safest option.

Hi guys! Sorry guys, I was incredibly busy at work yesterday I forgot to make a post. I took my car to the shop (towed) and they told me they weren't going to drain the tank as the zMax engine and fuel additives are exactly the same formula and this has happened to customers in the past. I called zMax and they told me the same thing.

One of my friends poured a oil additive into his gas tank once. We had to pull the fuel pump and siphon 16 gallons of fuel from the tank.

Back