Accidently shifted into 2nd trying to go into 4th

seagullfb6

Hey all,

I have a 15 sedan si and was going for a pass on the highway, I have been driving Si's all my life, 2000 si and 2008 si. So I am a decent driver and idk if it is the new 9th gen shifter or but somehow when i was at about 6800 rpm in 3rd and about to shift to 4th and I threw it into 2nd instead. The car rev limiter jumped to redline and the car pretty much braked a bit.
I put it back into neutral as soon as I could, it only lasted maybe 1/2 second to 1 second on redline. Then I put it into 5th gear and was fine, no engine light. Called Honda and asked if I needed a compression test cause I am paranoid. They said everything should be ok as long as nothing abnormal appears or if a light comes on.

I have done this multiple times on my other Si's as well, but not often. Usually everything ends up be just fine...am I just paranoid or what?
That Acuity short shifter looks so promising.
Thanks

Welcome to the forum!
I can say that I have been in the same situation that you are in now.
I had a 2007 civic ex that I also went from 3rd to 2nd gear accidentally, it happened so quick by the time I looked down at the RPMs I couldn't tell if I had over revved the engine or not but I did feel the car slow down probably just like you have.
I was also very paranoid that I had broken something, I drove with the radio off for probably a week trying to listen for some new noise.
Time went on and I racked up probably another 100,000kms (60,000 miles) without any issues and I traded it in after for a 2015 civic si sedan!

Hey thanks for the reply.

Are those stock wheels plastidipped? I'm thinking of doing the same.

Ive never done it in a Civic, but I did it a few times in a 500 hp mustang lol. The stock shifters in the '07s were garbage, and I swear they WANTED to go from 3rd to 2nd everytime. Before I replaced it with a better shifter unit, Id say I did it about 4 or 5 times, 2 of those being at the track, embarrassing. It never hurt the motor or tranny, and both were on stock internals except for a clutch. First time I did it on the highway it scared the living **** out of me. Was like someone reved the motor to rev limiter while slamming on the brakes at the same time. I know its an apples to oranges comparison as far as car and drivetrain, but it never hurt the car. Id say youre fine.

While you're getting positive responses, almost every blown motor on 8thcivic I saw was related to someone going from 3rd to 2nd on the highway and boom. Blown motor. Most of the time people had their rpm go over 10k on the downshift, and that data was pulled from the ecu when they had the car inspected. They usually immediately put in the clutch when it happened, but it's often too late if you've already released the clutch in 2nd.

Yeah you'll be fine I did the same thing about 1 month ago, I was merging on the high way and went from 3rd to 2nd instead of 4th the car must of rev'd up 10k rpm lol

I've done it on mine, too. Back when it was only 3 weeks old. Another 60,000 miles and I'm still okay...knock on wood.

Yeah you'll be fine I did the same thing about 1 month ago, I was merging on the high way and went from 3rd to 2nd instead of 4th the car must of rev'd up 10k rpm lol
Thanks for the reply and I am happy to hear everything is running good.

I've done it on mine, too. Back when it was only 3 weeks old. Another 60,000 miles and I'm still okay...knock on wood.

Good to hear dude, thanks again. I pray everything is ok.
I personally use 5 cans for 4 wheels.
You would want to use atleast 1 can per wheel, any less and it will be too hard to peal off.
For gold, you would need a base coat of black (previous step) and 3 or 4 cans of gold metalizer.

Awesome , I might give it a go.

How do you pull the data on the ecu?
Honda can pull the data with their scan tool. It shows rpm data and whatnot that is saved in the ecu. If you go in with a blown motor and you're under warranty, they can pull that data and say...."well, looks like you hit 10k rpm on a mis shift". Not covered under warranty.

Honda can pull the data with their scan tool. It shows rpm data and whatnot that is saved in the ecu. If you go in with a blown motor and you're under warranty, they can pull that data and say...."well, looks like you hit 10k rpm on a mis shift". Not covered under warranty.
I was at my Honda dealer recently and they had a brand new Accord that had a blown engine from just that.
The owner mis-shifted and the engine reved to over 10k RPM and something inside broke (I think it was the crankshaft)
No warranty coverage on that.
That's gotta hurt.

How long does that data stay in the ECU? For instance if I something went wrong years done the road and still under warranty?

Highest rpm and whatnot would stay. It would log the date/time.

Highest rpm and whatnot would stay. It would log the date/time.

Is there any way to check this without going to Honda to use their scan tool? Do they usually charge for this or are you able to delete it?
Thanks

No way to pull the data without honda doing it. Loading a flashpro tune will clear the ecu data. People tried doing that after blowing their engines. That is a huge red flag too. They pull your ecu data and it has essentially no driving data if you just loaded it after blowing the engine.

No way to pull the data without honda doing it. Loading a flashpro tune will clear the ecu data. People tried doing that after blowing their engines. That is a huge red flag too. They pull your ecu data and it has essentially no driving data if you just loaded it after blowing the engine.

I've heard of simply disconnecting your battery for 10-15 min to clear data. Thoughts?

Back