Add subwoofer to premium sound

Ron C. Todd Jr.

Williamsburg, VA
Vehicle Model
Civic
Body Style
coupe
Hi,

Anyone know if you can add an amp to power a subwoofer to the premium audio deck? Have the navi so I don't want to chuck it to add a real deck.

thanks,

Anyone know if there are preamps coming off of premium stereo deck? Want to add a subwoofer but don't want to replace navi. thx

this is probably the best option for wiring it up -

taken from the previous gen civic diy

DIY: Installing Aftermarket Subs w/ Stock HU ( and Premium Sound System)

Not getting enough bass with the factory sub on the PremiumSound System???
Well hopefully this will help...

PARTS NEEDED

T-TAPS
Male Plug Connectors
Line Out Converter (LOC)
Black Tubing (just makes the install cleaner)
Zip Ties

FOR THE AMP INSTALL

First, run the power

wire(I used this thread, very easy to do)
8th Generation Honda Civic Forum - View Single Post - How do I get Power to the Trunk?

Then a remote wire...
I just removed the factory HU to get an ACC wire(use this thread)
http://www.8thcivic.com/forums/audio/37564-diy-aftermarket-radio-install-ex.html

then use a T-Tap on the Purple wire w/ silver stripe (This wire is also located somwhere in the fuse box, it might be easier...)

Last, the ground wire (Sorry this isn't a great pic)
On the driver side back seat, pull the carpeting up, and you will find a great point for ground, *hidden out of sight!*)

s1.jpg

Just use a ring terminal and a Self Tapping Screw on the metal that lays beneath the carpet.

Ok, now for the RCA Cable

THIS IS SO EASY!
Pop the black plastic cover that shields the stock subwoofer off
s2.jpg

it's on there fairly good, give it a good tug downwards...

On the LOC you will see wires on one side, and a RCA Connection on the other. Twist all Positive wires together, and all negatives wires together.
s3.jpg

I then used electrical tape, to hide the wires, and keep them together.

Now, place the male plug connector on each of the twisted wires...you should only have 2 plugs.

Disengage the factory subwoofer by pulling the clip out. With a T-Tap, tap green for positive, red for negative, and plug in the LOC to the factory wiring.
s4.jpg

Then, I zip tied the the LOC To the Black Covering...

Now, plug the RCA Cable into the LOC.
I then used some Black Tubing to hide the appearance of an RCA Cable, and ran it along the top of the trunk, with the factory wiring, using zip ties to secure it
s5.jpg

You can then tuck the RCA behind the carpeting you pulled up for the ground wire...

I then put all excess wire in the spare
tire

wheel well, and pulled what i needed through here
s6.jpg

s7.jpg

Place the black Cover back up on the top of the trunk. Tuck any exposed wires inside the cover. You shouldn't see anything when finished!

s8.jpg

I then mounted my amp to the top of the Subwoofer Box.
Plugged everything up! You're Done.
s9.jpg

Completely Clean, Factory Looking Install...

'Matt

Hi,

Anyone know if you can add an amp to power a subwoofer to the premium audio deck? Have the navi so I don't want to chuck it to add a real deck.

thanks,
i purchased a rocksford fosgate 3 sixty processor that u can hook up to the factory everything and it uses bluetooth to tune really nice had it since 2006. pricey tho but deff worth it ive put it in 2 cars already.

Wow, forgot I posted this. Very delayed thanks to webby for the detailed instructions. I'm as non-DIY as it gets so I got my buds at Audio One to hook it up. It happened over stages which is why colors don't exactly match. Now I'm making the leap to go from the stock navi to a pioneer. Hope the improvement in sound outweighs losing the bt buttons and navi in iMID.

Back