DIY Add Temperature to LX

Pauly99to17

Ville de Quebec
Vehicle Model
2012 LX
Body Style
Dyno Blue Pearl Sedan (FB2)
All credit goes tojk5812 who made the first DIY on the other site. :clapping:
ADExternal may have also, directly or indirectly, helped get the original DIY completed because of his extensive work and trouble shooting with the Reverse Camera DIY.

I wanted to add the DIY over here and have included a few more photos to make the steps as clear as possible.

Warning: You, and you alone, are responsible if you choose to follow this DIY. Neither myself, not 9thCivic.com will be held responsible if a problem should arise. Do this DIY at your own risk.

Parts and Materials

1. OEM Temperature Sensor (P/N 80525-S30-941)
Sensor Assy., Ambient Emission: KA - US Market Spec Origin: USA $34.75

2. Sensor Bracket Clip ( (P/N 91555-TR0-A01)
line-divider.png

91555-TR0-A01 Clip, Ambient Sensor
Emission: KA - US Market Spec Origin: USA $2.70

Below.....#1 is the sensor and #2 is the bracket clip.

temp1.jpg

3. 4 Pins (connectors to Imid) - JAE Pins M34S75C4F24
http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/M34S75C4F2/670-2006-1-ND/1969249
You will only ned two of these. I suggest you get 2 extra just in case. (10 cents each)

temp2.jpg

4. Wire (22 AWG Gauge Stranded Copper)
5. Wire strippers

6. Electrical Tape

7. Dash Clips (These are little white plastic clips that can break when you take the dash apart. I suggest you order a few just in case you need to replace a couple.)

90666-SDA-A01 - CLIP 5 x $0.36 each = $1.80

8. 2 pins to connect to male connectors inside sensor. (See examples and explanation below)

Below is the sensor with clip/bracket attached.
temp3.jpg

Below you can see the two male connectors of the sensor. You will need to find two pins that you can slide onto these.
temp4.jpg

Here you can see how I got the pins to attach to the sensor's male connectors (there are other options). I would suggest you bring the sensor to your local electronics shop and ask what they have. I had this plug left over that I got at the auto-wreckers.
temp5.jpg

So, I hacked it and tore it apart to get 2 connectors out. They work really well.
temp6.jpg

I didn't use this one, but below is a different type of connector that would also work.
temp7.jpg

Just need to put it all together now.
temp8.jpg

Attach your wires together. I soldered the wires together after twisting them.....obviously I need to work on my soldering skills. :giggle:
temp9.jpg

Wrap in electrical tape.
temp10.jpg

Last edited:
Plug them on.

temp11.jpg

...and wrap em' up. :)

temp12.jpg

So, time to take the bumper off. Just need to watch until 1:18.

EDIT: @jk5812 attached his sensor without taking his bumper off. I guess he just got under the car and felt around for the little hole. The sensor could be zip tied basically anywhere behind the bumper though as long as it is not going be overly exposed to rain/snow etc.

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S45O8Lu9ao4

Now to take apart the dash.
*Note that you only need to take off first two layers of the dash.
You do not need to take off third layer unless you're adding the Reverse Camera (http://9thcivic.com/forum/threads/adexternals-reverse-backup-camera-diy.6538/ ).

Here is how to remove the dash......http://orbistheory.com/2012-honda-civic-removing-the-dash/

Last edited:
Here is where I attached the sensor. I found a little hole here where the clip fit nicely.
You can see the thick black line where the electriacl tape and sensor is located, then go down and you can see the grey wire I ran. Never mind that blue plug. I was installing fog lights at the same time.

temp13.jpg

Here is a close up of the sensor location.

temp14.jpg

I ran the wire under the headlight and then to this location. I pulled the small black rubber plug out of the firewall and pushed a coat hanger up to the engine bay that I used to "fish" the grey wire inside the cabin. BTW the rubber firewall plug is located in the cabin behind the fuse box. (See photo below).

temp15.jpg

Here you can see the location of the hole in the firewall where I took out the black rubber plug and fished the wire through.
The rubber plug is in the right of this photo on the carpet under the "bloated break pedal" :) @'06Siguy

temp16.jpg

You need to take of two panels. First one is very easy. Second one is not that difficult either, but takes a little more coaxing.
When you have the two panels off you have access to remove the tachometer. Simply unscrew the 3 screws. You can clearly see the two bottom ones in each bottom corner. The top one is in the middle but we can't see it because in the photo it is washed out by too much sunlight.

temp17.jpg

Tach off and ready to plug in our two wires into cluster.

temp18.jpg

You will need to plug the two wires with JAE pins already atteached into pin slots #8 and #24. This is a challenging operation and I was not able to connect and hear the soft "click" sound to ensure I had good contact. It took quite a while before i got them in correctly. I realized that the pins need to be deep into the slot opening of the cluster. You can see the numbers located in the tiny rectangles if you zoom in on this image. #1-16 are on the top row and 17 to 32 on the bottom row.

temp19.jpg

I ran my wire up through the dash which you can see in this photo. (Wire on the right is extra length that I cut)

temp20.jpg

BEFORE

temp21.jpg

AFTER
temp22.jpg

BTW....It is normal that you get a "Check Emissions" code come up on your IMID screen after unplugging the tachometer and then plugging it back in. Just start the car 3 times and the warning will go away. This seems to be some sort of glitch warning that goes off when the Tach gets unplugged and plugged back in. IMF you have a US model I'm sure it will show the temperature in degrees Fahrenheit.

Last edited:
@ADExternal @323 @squiggy

Just wanted confirmation from someone that the JAE pins (see my info above) are the same ones that are used to connect to the Imid cluster for the reverse camera. I tried with the same ones from the reverse camera DIY, but they seemed too short. Maybe the tach cluster needs different pins. Could you check the info to confirm that the JAE pin info. I have above are different or the same as the ones needed for the Imid cluster to have the reverse camera.

Just wanted confirmation from someone that the JAE pins (see my info above) are the same ones that are used to connect to the Imid cluster for the reverse camera. I tried with the same ones from the reverse camera DIY, but they seemed too short. Maybe the tach cluster needs different pins. Could you check the info to confirm that the JAE pin info. I have above are different or the same as the ones needed for the Imid cluster to have the reverse camera.

All the harnesses with multi pins 8+ uses the same pins.

I can confirm that the pin is the same one with Imid camera Pin,because that is what i use...

The pin from CPU 12v will not work.. I did try that before i order the JAE pin :( waste my 3 hr time and clips:(
HAHAHAHAHAH! wtf!? i didnt say use a eps connector!!! LOL! How would you even use that connector!/ lol you're so funny almost peed myself
its like the 8 pin eps CPU 12v's :) different connector types to avoid confusion :)

wasting 3 hours somehow doing that makes me laugh uncontrollably hahahahahahahahaha! How could you even do that!?

I'm trying to imagine...

you take the connector and try jamming it into the OEM socket for 3 hours? you'd think after trying it and seeing it didn't fit you'd just stop trying, instead you tried for three hours!?? :pat:

Yes they are only go in one way.. i messed up my imid pin before by putting it on the wrong way,and the result is the pin stuck in the middle way,can't take it out or push it in :(
Well, I have to give you much respect because you were the one who figured this all out. Without you there would be no option to add the temperature. :bowdownsit:

I'm curious if you placed your sensor in the same position as me. I couldn't tell from your photo because it was too dark.

Last edited:
Yes they are only go in one way.. i messed up my imid pin before by putting it on the wrong way,and the result is the pin stuck in the middle way,can't take it out or push it in :(
So what did you do if it was stuck inside? How did you get it out?

HAHAHAHAHAH! wtf!? i didnt say use a eps connector!!! LOL! How would you even use that connector!/ lol you're so funny almost peed myself

wasting 3 hours somehow doing that makes me laugh uncontrollably hahahahahahahahaha! How could you even do that!?

I'm trying to imagine...

you take the connector and try jamming it into the OEM socket for 3 hours? you'd think after trying it and seeing it didn't fit you'd just stop trying, instead you tried for three hours!?? :pat:

Hahaha.. Sorry AP.. I thought you mean the pin not the connector... Yeah,first i take out that pin from the connector and try to push it in imid connector,but it won't work... That was the first time i try to open the dashboard.. So that's why it tooks me almost 3 hours to pull the cable from trunk to dash console,open the dash board and try to snap in the pins just to find it won't fit,then have to close everything back. :(

Well, I have to give you much respect because you were the one who figured this all out. Without you there would be no option to add the temperature. :bowdownsit:

I'm curious if you placed your sensor in the same position as me. I couldn't tell from your photo because it was too dark.
Thanks Paul.. Yes i did put it on the same place with yours. The difference is i don't have to take the front bumper out,'cause my hand can fit from bottom and just snap in the clip that hold the sensor...

Back