Advice for upgrading audio

brad_naylor

I want to replace or upgrade the speakers inside the car and add a sub without changing the factory head unit... I do not have the premium sound system with navigation and a factory sub... Has anyone done this?

I want to replace or upgrade the speakers inside the car and add a sub without changing the factory head unit... I do not have the premium sound system with navigation and a factory sub... Has anyone done this?

Yes, easily possible. There are posts all over the Audio section discussing how to do it. Just be warned. The speakers in the rear are a giant pain to get access to. Otherwise, you will need an LOC to tap into the speaker wires coming out of the head unit to wire everything through an amp.

For me, I have:
Alpine SPR-60 6.5" Car Audio Coaxial Speakers in my front
Alpine SPR-60C 6.5" Car Audio Component System in my rear, drilled the tweeters in my back as well
Alpine SWS-12D4 Subwoofer

All powered by a Kenwood 5 channel amp. Systems sounds so much better than stock. Although I am looking to change my headunit in the future, no rush in that regards, system sounds clean without it. And I am upgrading from an LX :D

For me, I have:
Alpine SPR-60C 6.5" Car Audio Component System in my rear, drilled the tweeters in my back as well

All powered by a Kenwood 5 channel amp. Systems sounds so much better than stock. Although I am looking to change my headunit in the future, no rush in that regards, system sounds clean without it. And I am upgrading from an LX :D
did you use a line out converter to hook up to the 5 channel amp?

I'd say if you cab afford to swap out the head unit do it. I was running my aftermarket setup with two 12" subs running at 1k watts about and it was hitting like I wanted it to. After changing out the head unit with an aftermarket one it's much better.

Edit: If you don't mind purchasing online you can check out crutchfield or sonicelectronix for audio. I mostly use crutchfield for my audio purchases or local stores in my area that aren't best buy or cartoys.

Last edited:
do you have a link or a picture of the kind you bought? I'll show you the kind I'm looking at...

28bfa377fac9d39cfa7cc622f831f4ee.jpg

Almost certain it's this one.

For me, I have:

Why would anyone install components in the rear and coaxials up front? That is backwards. You want components up front for your front stage and vocals and the coaxials in the rear deck. You can get some A-pillars for an EX for the built-in tweeter openings.

Back