Advice Needed: Buying a new Si

Kodi Schmodes

Hello everyone.

I'm a new member and just joined this wonderful community. I am looking to buy a new Si and I need advice. I'm not sure if I should buy a sedan or coupe; so any advice on that will help me out.

Also, the price. Dealers aren't really giving me a good quote. I'm trying to get 23OTD. Any advice on how to negotiate or haggle the salesmen?

Lastly, I'm really interested in the HFP but cannot locate one at any dealer in California. Let me know of any options I have. Please give me any advice you can.

Thanks so much!

First off, welcome to the forum!

Are you trying to buy a model year 2012 or 2013?
If you're buying a 2013, anything over MSRP is a robbery.
If you're buying a 2012, there's really no reason you can't get a substantial mark-down from the MSRP.
HFP kits are only for Coupes, so keep that in mind. It's my understanding that the HFP kit is pre-installed, although I don't see any reason why you couldn't order one if you're buying a 2013.
If you're trying to get a 2012 HFP Coupe, forget about it...the 2012's are out the door already.
I don't have any good advice for haggling price since I've never had to haggle with my dealer...he's always given me my reasonable offer.

In any case, good luck finding one! I recommend the Sedan just from looks, but that's me.

23 is about right. Mine listed $23,145 here in NC.That was for a 2012 coupe si. California (which I am native to by the way) may be a little more expensive with the extra emissions standards junk, but not sure.....also I think the HFP's were a limited run so they are prob. Hard to come by. IMO not worth the extra green for the upgrades

Only real complaint I've seen about the coupe is headroom (if you're taller). The sedan supposedly offers slightly more headroom in the front. Both cars have folding rear seats, so you can haul stuff. As jason said, only the coupe offers the HFP body kit.

Some users are finding 2012's up to 3k off msrp since there were changes made to the 2013 model. Depends on what you're trying to buy. There are a few 2012 Si coupes/sedans floating around my area that haven't sold. TONS of 2012 non-si sedans. Like, probably 40+ within 15min. 2013 si's aren't supposed to hit dealers until next week (coupes). Si sedans - end of January.

sale.gif

if you aren't aware of the changes to the 2013 model, you may want to look over all of the info -
http://9thcivic.com/forum/threads/2013-honda-civic-unveiled-at-la-auto-show.6047/

First off, welcome to the forum!

Are you trying to buy a model year 2012 or 2013?
If you're buying a 2013, anything over MSRP is a robbery.
If you're buying a 2012, there's really no reason you can't get a substantial mark-down from the MSRP.
HFP kits are only for Coupes, so keep that in mind. It's my understanding that the HFP kit is pre-installed, although I don't see any reason why you couldn't order one if you're buying a 2013.
If you're trying to get a 2012 HFP Coupe, forget about it...the 2012's are out the door already.
I don't have any good advice for haggling price since I've never had to haggle with my dealer...he's always given me my reasonable offer.

In any case, good luck finding one! I recommend the Sedan just from looks, but that's me.

I would like to buy a 2012 because I can save money on it. I understand they sold all the HFP's but I've heard that it's all available where you can purchase it from a dealer and have it installed. I know the 2013 sedan is updated but I am leaning more towards the coupe and I like to save more money so I'm leaning towards the 2012 coupe si.

Only real complaint I've seen about the coupe is headroom (if you're taller). The sedan supposedly offers slightly more headroom in the front. Both cars have folding rear seats, so you can haul stuff. As jason said, only the coupe offers the HFP body kit.

Some users are finding 2012's up to 3k off msrp since there were changes made to the 2013 model. Depends on what you're trying to buy. There are a few 2012 Si coupes/sedans floating around my area that haven't sold. TONS of 2012 non-si sedans. Like, probably 40+ within 15min. 2013 si's aren't supposed to hit dealers until next week (coupes). Si sedans - end of January.

sale.gif

if you aren't aware of the changes to the 2013 model, you may want to look over all of the info -
http://9thcivic.com/forum/threads/2013-honda-civic-unveiled-at-la-auto-show.6047/

I agree. I mean I want to save money so I probably won't be able to if I purchase a s 2013 coupe because it's just changes to the interior. That's my biggest Dilemma because I like the 2013 sedan but I also want navigation so I know I will have to pay more.

I really don't know what to do.

For 2012's, multiple people have been offered 2-3k under invoice in the last month or so.

Well that's what you need to do before you even walk in the dealer's door: figure out exactly what you want, find out what you can afford, match the two together, and then call around or check websites to see what your local dealers have to offer.
You don't want to walk into a dealer's lot without knowing any of that, otherwise they may try to sell you something you neither want nor can afford.

I agree. I want a Coupe with navigation.

They said I can always buy the HFP stuff later. The MSRP is 24,650 every dealer around me within 40 miles. What would be a good price to shoot for?

Putting these two post together I'd say at least start with $21,500 and try to hold it, and re-read the link I posted.

sale.gif

^ I'd hold close that that figure as well.
truecar.com is another option. Submit the info for the car you're looking for and dealerships can send you quotes at no charge.

Right now there is $1000 in dealer cash on civics so I would ask for invoice minus some of the dealer cash. Do understand that salespeople need to eat too! Most of us make $100 per car and right now is a slow time in sales. Also consider leasing for a lower payment and you can choose to buy the rest at the end or turn it in for a new one! In some states there is also flex cash but you need to finance or lease through Honda in order to get it.

Right now there is $1000 in dealer cash on civics so I would ask for invoice minus some of the dealer cash. Do understand that salespeople need to eat too! Most of us make $100 per car and right now is a slow time in sales. Also consider leasing for a lower payment and you can choose to buy the rest at the end or turn it in for a new one! In some states there is also flex cash but you need to finance or lease through Honda in order to get it.

How does the whole lease to purchase work? Do I lose money? Gain money?

Also, If the MSRP is 24,650...what should I be asking?

Thanks so much.

A staff member here was literally quoted 3k under invoice on a new 2012 si. I just went past my dealership tonight and they have (32) 2012 civics on the lot to get rid of. I think 5 of them were coupes, and the rest sedans. That seems like a lot of inventory to move, and they already have 2013's there as well.

Kodi - leasing essentially lowers your payment. It's like renting the car. You're allotted a set number of miles that you can drive per year (usually 12k). If you go over that amount, you're charged fees when you return the car. Most leases are 36 months. At the end of the lease you just hand the car in. So,... you're never the "owner" of the car, so your monthly payments are less. You have the option of buying the car when you turn the lease in, or you can buy/lease another vehicle of your choice.

example 2012 sedan lease - (non-si)
http://automobiles.honda.com/curren...5290&modelid=FB2F5CEW&sf=2&ft=1&Landing=Civic

webby is right........... and this has nothing to do with what he told you.

Anyway most of us never "own" our cars anyway, we lease them or the bank owns them. This is my 1st lease and it's different, because I have always bought new, the only thing I can see at this point is there could be some mod's I'd like to do but if I'm to turn it back in I might be subject to cost for changes(depending on what I do).
In my case if the car stays as good as it is after 3 years, I'll probably just buy it, because enough time has gone buy for any flukes to show up. (my last I had for 18 years with no problem).

Back