Aftermarket Leather - Seeking All Info

Jim2012

Vehicle Model
Civic EX
Body Style
Sedan
So I've had my new Civic EX for two weeks. A day after I bought it, I started second guessing myself not asking to see an EX-L, since I'd just come out of an Accord with leather after 8 years. I called my dealer, and a sales manager suggested rather than considering swapping it for an EX-L, I consider aftermarket leather. He said that the vendor they use is very good, and the seats would be entirely leather, 100%, not partial leather as with the EX-L. He also said, this would save me a ton of money in the long run. I asked if the leather "conversion" would include the armrests, including the door armrests, panels, etc. He said yes, leather in its entirety. He also said he'd do the entire car for $700.

I've never had aftermarket leather, so these may be dumb questions but here goes. How is this process done? Do they just remove the seats, rip off the fabric, and cover in leather? I mean, it's not a complete changeout of the seats or anything, correct? And, does this in any way mess with the air bags? I'm hoping since this is the dealer, they wouldn't risk this. Also, if it's complete leather and it's going to mirror the trim of the EX-L, how do they do the door panels? Do those get replaced?

I should say, my primary reason for wanting leather is that I'm concerned that keeping fabric seats fresh and clean will be much harder than leather.

I tend to be one of these people who gets a new car and obsesses over protecting it as long as possible. The sales manager says it's no big deal, they do it every day. Should I be concerned with someone ripping the seats out of my brand new car?

they can easily unbolt the seats - it's just 4 bolts. The fabric can be removed, and then covered in leather. Airbags can be left functional without issue. Just like the stock leather can have airbags, aftermarket leather shops can do it. There are seat covers that you can buy from amazon or whatever that even have stitching made to allow the side airbags to deploy. The door panels can be removed and the fabric replaced with leather. That is not an issue at all. There are users here who have put various colored fabric on their door panels/headliner themselves.
there are products that can help your fabric like scotchgaurd spray. It runs like 7 dollars or so a can. You can get it at places like autozone/pepboys etc.

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-AaGXaXOcps

another example of super hydrophobic spray

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7is6r6zXFDc

I had a VW completely re-done, piece of cake......... Headliner/doorpanels/seats front&rear/trunk(front of course)/total floor carpet/etc.

It's done the same way the factory does it, but can be installed better with better material............ You can talk to whoever is going to do it, and they can tell you(or you can tell them) what they will do and what material goes where.

Back