Air leak from windows?

Ideealy would be to compare a car from a completely diff VIN range but that is not always easy. I honestly hear some air leaks on my Mazda on the highway on windy days but almost nothing on the Si, it could be a simple issue of the rubber sealing the window being a diff quality or diff install quality between the cars. I rarely drive with music on so I tend to notice every little noise the car makes, I will pay attention more on my way home today, i go up to 60 mph if i stay in the legal limit and see what I notice while trying to pay attention to it.

It's not the weatherstripping around the window. They replaced mine. I could tell it was better stripping because it fit the seams better and the door was a little harder to close.

Yes. The dealership tried everything for me: they swapped out a window from another 2012 on the lot (which I didn't find out about until just recently), replaced the regulator, the trim, all sorts of things. Nothing worked.

I hate to say but I think our precious Hondas were just under engineered when it came to comfort lol. Everything else is just the best!

An additional question.

Do the Si sedan and Si coupe require the same tires? I have a set of brand new Blizzaks in my storage unit for winter driving, and that will definitely make an impact as to whether I go coupe or sedan. I can't imagine why they'd be different size tires (the rims are the same). Just want to verify.

An additional question.

Do the Si sedan and Si coupe require the same tires? I have a set of brand new Blizzaks in my storage unit for winter driving, and that will definitely make an impact as to whether I go coupe or sedan. I can't imagine why they'd be different size tires (the rims are the same). Just want to verify.

Both are the same. You should be fine.

Both are the same. You should be fine.

Thanks for that.

Just talked to the dealership. He did include the $500 gap refund and tax, title, and registration in his quote of about $313/month with gap coverage added (my current payment is $294 with gap). At 72 months, the OTD price is about $22,5xx. These numbers aren't confirmed 100% yet, and are rough estimates we've both been tossing around. I was initially told price with all available incentives and "Honda We're Sorry" cash would bring the price down to $20,069, and I don't think TTL is as high as $2,500, so I need to verify the OTD price. The focus during negotiation was definitely on maintaining a similar monthly payment.

I debated taking the extended warranty for my 2012 Si, but then I started thinking that even though I'll be financing another several thousand on top of my $15,000 payoff loan, but I'll also be getting a "better" car with 17,000 less miles. And maybe that's worth more to me than the extended warranty.

I did tell him to aim for a Dyno Blue Pearl Si Sedan. I'm still not convinced I'm a sedan person (though I've never had an Si sedan), but I really don't want to risk another door panel debacle like this again. I may still go try to test drive a coupe and sedan at another dealership and make my decision at that point.

Any other thoughts?

looks like your sales tax rate is 7.75% from what I'm seeing online. That'd be like $1555 in tax on $20069. Add in the $500 gap, title fee, whatever other fee... you're over 2k there.

Thanks webby. I have to admit, numbers were never my forte.

When all is said and done, I think this is a good deal. TrueCar.com reports that 40 transactions in the last 182 days of Civic Si sedans in the Minneapolis metro netted a price of $23,029. They offered me invoice (around mid $21,xxx) to start with, then took the $1750 roughly off of that before the tax title and registration. They're also giving me the XM installed (not sure if they plan to remove it from my current Si or install a new one) and Gap coverage (I'll never go without that again).

I think as long as I stay ahead of my payments to offset the longer loan period, I should be good. My monthly payment rate is low enough to where I can easily through in $50-$100 more a month.

I'd just make sure you take an extended test drive on whatever vehicle you decide on. It's pointless to trade up if you're getting back into another car that has noise issues. You'd have a higher loan, a car you don't like, and then you're out looking for another vehicle.

Absolutely. I'm having him look for a sedan right now. I'm about 80% sure I want to go that route. I do like how the 2013 sedans turned out. I still like the side profile of the coupe far more, and worry that I'm going to miss the sleek coupe profile, but no one hates the practicality of sedan (even though I mostly drive alone or with only one passenger). I think I overthink things.

Has anyone else gone from coupe to sedan before or vice-versa? If so, do you regret it?

Performance wise the difference between sedan and coupe is very small almost indistinguishable. Looks i like the coupe more but the sedan is very nice looking as well and extremely practical compared to a 2 door car.

Last edited:
I listened for the air leak on my way home today and I have to say i did not notice any sound at all from the window. Went up to 110 km/h and all good and quiet on that regard. That makes me think if some have the whistling leak sound it is an assembly issue of some sort. On an older car i had the glass panel slid a bit in its fixtures (less than one 32nd) and the window would not close 100% snug causing an air leak maybe this could be it. If you mentioned rattling maybe something is a bit loose inside the door.

From another perspective i have to say i rarely put my window down, so maybe i did not stress my windows enough.

It's not the weatherstripping around the window. They replaced mine. I could tell it was better stripping because it fit the seams better and the door was a little harder to close.
I was referring to the rubbery part where the glass rests when fully closed inside the door frame, not the door opening in the car body. The one that makes the door close harder is less often the cause for leaks in my experience. Still if the issue exists i think it should be pretty easy to diagnose.

The old trick of soapy water can work in seeing where exactly it is, being that loud it should have the pressure to form bubbles.

I'd say sedans outnumber the coupe owners here around 4 to 1. Sedans seem to be much more popular for whatever reason.

Hello. I have just come across this forum this morning as I have been trying to research for weeks of how to fix this same issue. I have heard it a few times on the passenger side near the B-pillar, but most times in the A-pillar on the driver side. As someone else had mentioned when i test drove this car from a private sale last year, i did not go beyond 50km/h to hear this. I notice it starts up around 80km/h and much louder when 100 or 110 km/h especially more so on windy days. Couple other things noticed is when driving over the highway and going over the slight bumps, the window seems to slip (maybe less than 1mm) down and causes the noise to get louder, then I have to push the window back up again with door handle (that has worn threads and is loose) to reseal it and lessen the noise. Also depending on how windy it is, you can either see the window flexing in and out when the wind catches it at the A-pillar or you can feel it with your finger. Now that its getting colder, it is also the first area that fogs up when the heater is turned on - which once that driver side window begins fogging eventually the rest of the windows in the car fog up.

This issue has been going on for a year now, but it was not until this past month or so it is driving me nuts to figure out how to fix it. I had read that cars my age, the window seal and window track seals could be brittle and worn out. I am thinking of getting this looked into and requesting new seals as a precaution, as practically everything that is still original in the car has been getting replaced sooner or later within the past year under my ownership.

I just realized after I posted.... my car is a 2000 Honda Civic DX Hatchback (6th ed) ..... but this is the only forum I have found that others are experiencing this same issue

Honda-tech may be another place to look for answers regarding 6th gens. There will be way more users with 6th gens there....or you could always start with the weatherstripping. It may pinch the glass better and resolve a lot of the problems.

Back