Airbag Light

Danny Hsu

This has probably been discussed before, but if an airbag light is on does that mean all bags will not deploy or just the ones disconnected?

Resistors have been used in the past to "trick" the system into thinking there is an airbag in place so the rest will trigger. Did you swap seats?

Tricking the drivers side is much easier than the passenger side.

On the passenger side you have to deal with the OPDS (Occupant Position Detection System).

Ever noticed the light that says passenger airbag on or off based on the weight on the seat? Yeah, there are a bunch of sensors in that seat.

These are the OPDS sensors in the seat bottom for 8th gen civics and 04-08 TSX:

opds4.jpg

So I could tell you which resistor to try for your drivers seat but it is a dangerous game to play..... Have you already swapped seats? If so, did you swap both or just one?

Resistors have been used in the past to "trick" the system into thinking there is an airbag in place so the rest will trigger. Did you swap seats?
I'm considering swapping seats, I just want to get everything figured out beforehand, so I don't run into any troubles. Do you know what amp or whatever the unit is for the resistor?

So I could tell you which resistor to try for your drivers seat but it is a dangerous game to play..... Have you already swapped seats? If so, did you swap both or just one?
Not yet, I just plan on doing the driver side.

Reactions: Nix
When you take the drivers seat out you will find the airbag harness underneath. I have not personally looked at a 9th gen drivers seat underside but I bet the connector is very similar. This pic is from an 8th civic. The yellow harness connector that attaches under the seat will have a few different pins. You may need to try a couple different pin combinations to get the correct circuit bridged.

Most likely you want a 1/4 Watt 2.7ohm resistor. You bridge the circuit like this:

03.jpg

There is also most likely a seat position sensor buried in the seat belt attachment points somewhere. It tells the car how close the seat is to the steering wheel and deploys the main airbag with more or less force depending on the distance to the seat, and therefore, your face.

This is a tricky business to play with and there are multiple sensors to deal with. Hondas are very very safe. All these sensors are a pain to deal with but it is also why I would highly recommend sticking with your stock seats and safety systems. They have engineered so much into your seat and airbag system. They even measure how far from the wheel you are so they don't bust your face up!

That said, if you're gonna do it, Id rather you at least maintain the airbags you can. Removing your stock seat means you are losing that side airbag. Don't get T-boned from the drivers side! Also the resistor I mentioned may or may not work. I have not seen anyone with a 9th gen civic successfully pull this off. You may want to unbolt your stock seat and play with a resistor or two before you buy a new seat and see if you can "fool" the system and then decide if it is worth it for you.

Ive seen 2hohm, 3ohm, 2.5ohm, and 2.7ohm resistors mentioned. The most promising info seems to be the 2.7ohm and 1/4watt ones.

I feel you. Kinda wish the Si seats were a bit more sporty
Really? I think they are sporty enough. I was looking at seats that would be more comfortably. Ours aren't very soft lol. My buddy just got a pair of fixed bucket bride reps for his ek hatch and I thought they were really comfortable. Although they weren't wide enough for me. And im an average size lol.

Really? I think they are sporty enough. I was looking at seats that would be more comfortably. Ours aren't very soft lol. My buddy just got a pair of fixed bucket bride reps for his ek hatch and I thought they were really comfortable. Although they weren't wide enough for me. And im an average size lol.
I agree they aren't especially comfortable.

Back