AlienPrime's Build Thread!

I have to see a picture of this bump to which you are referring. I barely ever scrape and I am way lower. I could give you some tips on negotiating bumps and peaks. After my first car, I've never owned a car that wasn't low.
where do you live? you should see roads here in Sudbury....

i am very good at making my way around, one wheel at a time, on angles, slow, etc etc

wide wheels help a bit too :D

I've been all over the place. There are bad roads everywhere I have been. I'm fortunate that a lot of the roads where I live are asphalt and are redone every few years, but I've been much lower on terrible roads. I'm just curious to see what kind of peak it must be that a car with as much ground clearance as yours scrapes on. That must be a pretty poorly designed surface. California is full of garbage like that. I think everyone that fails as a civil engineer ends up building roads and parking lots in California.

California I am sure doesn't have any roads like we do up in Ontario.... we use tons of salt in the winter, driveways heave and buckle with freeze / thaw cycles, roads disintegrate with heavy traffic. ( max legal weight for trucks is 63,500kgs / 139,700 lbs without a permit )

I know people that haul wood chips / dust or spruce logs that tickle 150,000 pounds on occasion, on 9 axles to boot, not like like Michigan... where ever there is a space to put an axle, they do it.

To reinforce the salt thing... remember back in the early 90's where a dude was waiting for the TTC and his ear fell off? They weren't able to reattach it due to the salt on the ground...

To reinforce the salt thing... remember back in the early 90's where a dude was waiting for the TTC and his ear fell off? They weren't able to reattach it due to the salt on the ground...

I'm not sure which part of that story surprised me more. The guy's ear falling off or the amount of salt on the road. I've been is some stupid crazy cold weather and my ear has never fallen off. Why did his ear fall off????!!!!!

Really bad wind chill somewhere below 40 and near 50 (I was a kid then don't really remember much...). Remember the really bad storms back in 92-93? The buses were delayed and it was so cold he didn't realize his ear was frost bitten. He didn't have ear muffs or anything.

Last edited:
I've been all over the place. There are bad roads everywhere I have been. I'm fortunate that a lot of the roads where I live are asphalt and are redone every few years, but I've been much lower on terrible roads. I'm just curious to see what kind of peak it must be that a car with as much ground clearance as yours scrapes on. That must be a pretty poorly designed surface. California is full of garbage like that. I think everyone that fails as a civil engineer ends up building roads and parking lots in California.
well a lot of roads here have not been redone since the late 1940's or early 1950's. The roads are utter ****. I have pictures beside a si and my car is almost a full inch lower than it. Plus my exhaust is bigger than stock and hangs down a little more.

either way, 3ft x 3ft potholtes are not uncommon, and generally 6" to a foot deep. sometimes, there will be a 10ft wide pothole that you have to drive over to continue on the road. 95% of vehicles in sudbury are sierra's or dodge rams, f150's etc, very few cars.

there are also lots of places that were the tires go is so dipped in that i cannot drive on the normal road. i have the drive with one tire in gravel and one tire in center of street

Back