Amber Removal

it's not easy.... engine swap is more difficult, if it's your first time, you probably gonna destroy your stock headlights. you can salvage it, but, it's gonna look like crap.

if you really want to do it yourself, go classified section & buy a set of used headlights from adexternal & try it on that set before you destroy your $600 stock headlights

What the hell is this classified section? Everytime I click on it on 9GC it just sends me to forum. Is there a classified here?

I've done plenty of retrofits with projectors. Baking them is the easiest way to go. If you have an anal wife a hair dryer works well but takes more time and you have to be very careful but if she bitches that you are using her hair drying to go Harbor Freight and pick up a heat gun lol.

You should also take note that some of the tabs on these headlights are pretty fragile. I'm ordering an extra set of 2012 headlights to do a retrofit and will be making a DIY thread through the whole process. The wife and newborn are going to be gone for a whole month visiting with both sets of grandparents so I'll have plenty of free time to order parts, build stuff, and make a build thread.

HAHA i like how you do projects when they're away! Awesome! Can't wait to see!! :D

First headlight should be here by friday, the other one is coming from portland so it'll be a while but I can at least start the thread. I gotta order some projectors too.

I would've done a DIY but you need two hands all the time for this. I was also scared to do it which is why I bought used lights to do it on

There's a lot of DIY on headlight separation on YouTube and other forums but.

Preheat oven to 200
Shut off oven - very important. If you leave the oven on the extreme heat from the element may ruin the light. You need a constant worm oven with even heat.
Put lights in for 10-12 min
- use a baking sheet or cardboard to prevent melting the light
Remove with gloves at it will be warm
Start prying around the edges where the trim is smaller. I used a flat knife and a screw driver. Use the screw driver to break the seal. Insert the flat knife and rotate to desperate the light.
If the sealant starts to harden and the light becomes cool just bake it again.
You need to start in the middle and work your way to the amber corner. You will desperate the headlight completely so don't worry.
Once you get a good separation pry apart by hand.
Unscrew the reflector holding on the amber
Remove the amber
Reattach the reflector
Reconnect the two halves.
Bake and press together until the seal is good. You can add more sealant of you need but as long as your careful separating you won't need it.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1363212717.449161.jpg

Had mine on for a few weeks now and through some bad rain and snow and still going strong.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1363212806.336284.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1363212806.336284.jpg
    302.5 KB · Views: 0
I would've done a DIY but you need two hands all the time for this. I was also scared to do it which is why I bought used lights to do it on

There's a lot of DIY on headlight separation on YouTube and other forums but.

Preheat oven to 200
Shut off oven - very important. If you leave the oven on the extreme heat from the element may ruin the light. You need a constant worm oven with even heat.
Put lights in for 10-12 min
- use a baking sheet or cardboard to prevent melting the light
Remove with gloves at it will be warm
Start prying around the edges where the trim is smaller. I used a flat knife and a screw driver. Use the screw driver to break the seal. Insert the flat knife and rotate to desperate the light.
If the sealant starts to harden and the light becomes cool just bake it again.
You need to start in the middle and work your way to the amber corner. You will desperate the headlight completely so don't worry.
Once you get a good separation pry apart by hand.
Unscrew the reflector holding on the amber
Remove the amber
Reattach the reflector
Reconnect the two halves.
Bake and press together until the seal is good. You can add more sealant of you need but as long as your careful separating you won't need it.

View attachment 12631

Had mine on for a few weeks now and through some bad rain and snow and still going strong.

Are you twitch from 9gc? And nice btw. How does it look when signalling? I would assume it wouldnt show ?

Are you twitch from 9gc? And nice btw. How does it look when signalling? I would assume it wouldnt show ?

Yup the one and only. I've been lurking here for a while just never posted. I had swapped the signals first to LED's with canbus. No good. Got all sorts of problems. Now I have nokya hyper orange bulbs. They look the same when signaling, clear from the sides and orange head on cause of the rear reflector. They're actually brighter than stock since the diffuser is gone. I like them, still one of my favorite improvements.
I'm looking to do switchback LED's once I feel like pulling apart the front end again to add load resistors.

Yup the one and only. I've been lurking here for a while just never posted. I had swapped the signals first to LED's with canbus. No good. Got all sorts of problems. Now I have nokya hyper orange bulbs. They look the same when signaling, clear from the sides and orange head on cause of the rear reflector. They're actually brighter than stock since the diffuser is gone. I like them, still one of my favorite improvements.
I'm looking to do switchback LED's once I feel like pulling apart the front end again to add load resistors.

Ah I see. The lights look amazing I might just have to try it out

Back