Amsoil MTF

Juan Torres

I have read the thread on oil change but back in 2014 and 2013 people were talking about not being able to use Amsoil and that it is not recommended by amsoil. i searched their website and even contacted them on this issue as soon as they answer me i will post it up. but i would like more information on this and fluid recommendations

I just did first oil change in new si. Don't notice anything bad. Webby what do you recommend?

I just did first oil change in new si. Don't notice anything bad. Webby what do you recommend?
He was talking about manual transmission fluid. As far as oil changes go, users with 8th/9th gen si civics have had great oil analysis results with Mobil 1 synthetic, pen platinum, etc. A lot of lab results showed the oil was still good at 10k intervals. Mobil 1 oil filters were highly regarded as well.

Just caught that...thanks for clarifying. I just did my first oil change (brand new car) and the oil was really dark. Only 3,200 miles on it. I also noticed oil level was at about 1/3 level on the dipstick. Pretty shocking I thought. I used Amsoil to replace original oil and it didn't feel like it had that new oil change feel....Dunno what to think....

"dark oil" isn't a bad thing...just means it's doing it's job. As far as it being 1/3 down, it's not uncommon to have some oil loss during break in. The top mark to the bottom mark is 1 quart. Watch it over the next oil change and see how it does. I'd wager it'll be fine.

Why did you change the oil so soon? The oil that comes in it new is a special oil for break in from what I'm told. I think it's supposed to go 5k miles before it's first oil change. And webby is right. Some oil usage is common during break in as the rings set into the cylinders and blow by stops.

He was talking about manual transmission fluid. As far as oil changes go, users with 8th/9th gen si civics have had great oil analysis results with Mobil 1 synthetic, pen platinum, etc. A lot of lab results showed the oil was still good at 10k intervals. Mobil 1 oil filters were highly regarded as well.
Both the pen platinum and pen ultra have been amazing. Did 8,000 intense miles on Pennzoil Ultra..... mostly cross country Dragon trip; car was loaded with gear, 2 passengers running triple digit speeds, frequent high RPM, high altitude, etc... and the labwork was perfect. Thought the 1,500 miles in TN/NC living at redline for hours might have caused at least some wear.... but no, not a bit.

I have read the thread on oil change but back in 2014 and 2013 people were talking about not being able to use Amsoil and that it is not recommended by amsoil. i searched their website and even contacted them on this issue as soon as they answer me i will post it up. but i would like more information on this and fluid recommendations
Hey Juan... thanks. I'd be very interested to hear their official response. But in my case it was about to go legal... then Blackstone Labs said something to the effect: 'well, gee, because the car is new the problem could just be break-in' so Amsoil just dropped the whole thing, basically saying the experts have spoken.

If you can't find my MTF lab results on 9th Civic I'll dig them up for you. The fluid itself was essentially trashed... and tranny damage was imminent, as metal count was already elevated even after 5,000 miles. If I had left it in 30,000 miles (as recommended) there's no doubt my tranny would be in the junk yard.

This whole episode surprises me since I'm a long time Amsoil dealer... even spent a week at their industrial school and became one of a few licensed to sell their industrial line. So I was a big fan. But after seeing how they bolted at the first sign of trouble has left a bad taste in my mouth. Funny thing... it says right on the MTF label "not to be used in limited slip" which is what the Si has... sort of. Even the Amsoil book says it's okay. Go figure.

If you're really curious about it you might want to contact @squiggy ... super smart guy who had a similar experience.

But IMO for now the safest thing to do is use the OEM Honda product while you're looking into it. (I've also tried the synthetic Royal Purple MTF recently... that lab report is due back any day)

Thanks again Juan... keep in touch!

Just caught that...thanks for clarifying. I just did my first oil change (brand new car) and the oil was really dark. Only 3,200 miles on it. I also noticed oil level was at about 1/3 level on the dipstick. Pretty shocking I thought. I used Amsoil to replace original oil and it didn't feel like it had that new oil change feel....Dunno what to think....

I change mine every 3,000 - 5,000 (unless i'm cross country) which is totally ridiculous. I've been doing lab tests for 23 years and every single one verifies that most oils will go 7,000 and the better synthetics twice that (I've had trucks that successfully went YEARS between changes) although you have to change the filter every 6 months regardless. Over the road trucks use by-pass filtration so that's different. And i'm talking clients that would still put 500,000 - 1,000,000 miles on their Peterbilts. At first i didn't believe it... then the engine would get taken down and mic'ed to about 70,000 miles.

Anyway, why do I change my oil so often? Good question. My wife thinks it's a genetic defect. Because it's sure not rational.

Guess I figure that the way I beat on a car (worse than ever now) there's just no way the oil could hold up. But every time is does... I can't explain it.

The best course of action is to spend $20 to see what the lab says. Because YMMV.

I agree Bruce. I think everything is fine. I noticed performance increased a couple days after the oil change. Likely the thinner synthetic oil settling in and the break in stuff getting trapped in the oil filter. I'm going to do a Blackstone test on the amsoil in 3k. I used Mobil1 many years ago and loved it, best oil I thought. But now I've heard so much regarding their oil being reformulated with lesser cost base oils that I haven't wanted to give it a shot. One of the weirdest issues I face with my 2015 Si is how drastically the performance of my car can change between gas fill ups. I've read this can happen if there's moisture or water in the fuel, so now I'm on the hunt for a solid gas station...

Back