Any previous Subaru Impreza owners?

you're welcome for us making you go drive it. :D

The civic has less fuel cost but just by a little. The question is, when the roads are crapp (rain, icy, snow)y, do you want to worry if you are going to make it to your destination or wait for the FWD cars to get out of your way so you CAN get there. ;)

Just to play the devil's advocate: AWD gets the car moving forward but in case of accidents where stopping is the concern AWD or not not a shred of difference between AWD and FWD or RWD :) Loosing control on ice or snow AWD will help a bit more bot most of the times pure lack of grip is the issue due to too much speed for the available grip on the roads. It will help with directional changes in some cases but that's mostly it.

I do love the "like on rails" feel the car has myself especially on dry summer conditions but for cold slippery weather it makes a difference if you race and want to get moving faster.

you're welcome for us making you go drive it. :D

The civic has less fuel cost but just by a little. The question is, when the roads are crapp (rain, icy, snow)y, do you want to worry if you are going to make it to your destination or wait for the FWD cars to get out of your way so you CAN get there. ;)

27/36 EPA for impreza
28/39 EPA for civic

looking on fuelly: 26-27mpg on fuelly for the 2012 impreza CVT, 2012 civic is 31.5mpg on fuelly average
i average 31.2 mpg in my SI combined driving, my coworker's wife has a 2012 LX, he said that she averages about 29mpg, he averages about 35mpg... so mileage may vary depending on the driver
i know that with the impreza, hammering their CVT really hampers the MPG, especially if you are playing with the manual shift mode... but again, as we said before, base impreza engine vs base civic engine trim levels, i'll take the impreza =D

27/36 EPA for impreza
28/39 EPA for civic

looking on fuelly: 26-27mpg on fuelly for the 2012 impreza CVT, 2012 civic is 31.5mpg on fuelly average
i average 31.2 mpg in my SI combined driving, my coworker's wife has a 2012 LX, he said that she averages about 29mpg, he averages about 35mpg... so mileage may vary depending on the driver
i know that with the impreza, hammering their CVT really hampers the MPG, especially if you are playing with the manual shift mode... but again, as we said before, base impreza engine vs base civic engine trim levels, i'll take the impreza =D
May be my bad, but I think he's talking about the wrx vs the Si

May be my bad, but I think he's talking about the wrx vs the Si

if it's WRX vs the SI then its not "just a little" on fuel cost. WRX is high teens, low 20's, and my SI gets 31.2 mpg combined, i avg about 35 on the highway

i'm an owner of a 2011 wrx prior to this car, i have a long post about it on another thread, i'm one of the few who's owned both, and i'm 100x happier with my civic

if it's WRX vs the SI then its not "just a little" on fuel cost. WRX is high teens, low 20's, and my SI gets 31.2 mpg combined, i avg about 35 on the highway
and conversely, the worst mpg I have ever gotten was on the Tail of the Dragon while I was driving at high RPM, jackrabbit starts, many flooring/brakes cycles. During this gave me 18 mpg.

Typically I get 25 mpg.
Best I have gotten was 32 mpg over 200 miles.

I am 100x happier with my W as the Si driver's seat didn't have enough thigh support for me. :D

Just to play the devil's advocate: AWD gets the car moving forward but in case of accidents where stopping is the concern AWD or not not a shred of difference between AWD and FWD or RWD :) Losing control on ice or snow AWD will help a bit more but most of the times pure lack of grip is the issue due to too much speed for the available grip on the roads. It will help with directional changes in some cases but that's mostly it.

I do love the "like on rails" feel the car has myself especially on dry summer conditions but for cold slippery weather it makes a difference if you race and want to get moving faster.

I've driven a Forester 5MT for the last 6yrs - it Was like being "on rails." Handled wonderfully in any inclement weather, and gave a lot more confidence, and got me out of situations where a fwd could only dream of ...and yes, I agree about the whole braking thing - that's where the 5MT comes in, being able to slow the engine down, balanced with braking.

Last edited:
The Impreza Navi is useless, and the difference between the Limited (no MT) and Premium (MT) trims are mostly recovered with options packages, save for leather. Honestly, the (effective) top, "normal," impreza trim can be had with a MT.

Anyone know which Parts/repairs would be more expensive?? - Subaru Impreza vs Honda Civic.

it's prob not a huge diff on the base models, although the civic r18 has been around longer than the 2.0 in the impreza (direct injected, new for 2012) so, and with the civic being a higher volume car, parts should be more readily available, but like i said, neither base model will be very expensive, and both will be reliable.

It's a Snow-fun-day for us AWD owners this weekend. Get out to your big parking lot and have some fun. (as always, obey your local laws ;) )

the awd system would be more costly to repair if you would encounter issues at some point. Beyond that, mongoose hit the nail on the head. They are both high selling vehicles. Oem parts and aftermarket replacement parts should be easy to come by. I'd give the edge to the civic though, seeing as how it has been out longer, and it has higher sales figures.

it's prob not a huge diff on the base models, although the civic r18 has been around longer than the 2.0 in the impreza (direct injected, new for 2012) so, and with the civic being a higher volume car, parts should be more readily available, but like i said, neither base model will be very expensive, and both will be reliable.

Well, there have been several, non-reliable, base subies in the past decade (leaking gaskets, interference engines, to name a couple of reasons). However, the Impreza (at least the base model), doesn't have DI, so no worries from that :) It should be better, since it's now in it's second model year. Never get a first year Subie (IMO - since the company loves ignoring first year problems, then correcting them without always making a TSB, though the FR-S/BRZ publicity has somewhat forced them to own up... a little bit). <-- my opinion.

Well, there have been several, non-reliable, base subies in the past decade (leaking gaskets, interference engines, to name a couple of reasons). However, the Impreza (at least the base model), doesn't have DI, so no worries from that :) It should be better, since it's now in it's second model year. Never get a first year Subie (IMO - since the company loves ignoring first year problems, then correcting them without always making a TSB, though the FR-S/BRZ publicity has somewhat forced them to own up... a little bit). <-- my opinion.
bah. i keep forgetting the DI is on the BRZ not on the impreza (they are both new 2.0 engines)

the awd system would be more costly to repair if you would encounter issues at some point. Beyond that, mongoose hit the nail on the head. They are both high selling vehicles. Oem parts and aftermarket replacement parts should be easy to come by. I'd give the edge to the civic though, seeing as how it has been out longer, and it has higher sales figures.

Just thinking out loud...
I'm still on the fence between the two.
I must say that I've never ever had a problem with the AWD system in my old/sold '98 Forester, and I can only imagine how much better the new system is. I would feel very confidant in that.
My heart says "Subaru Impreza" and my head says "Honda Civic." Man they are so very close!
Major snowstorm today, so I'm leaning toward the Subie, but as soon as the weather clears, then the balance tips towards the Civic. Teeter totter teeter totter :) If ONLY I could get both! That's be sweet. Insurance rates are almost the same, as the difference is negligible. Mileage between the two is similar, with the Civic having a definite advantage. A 1yr old used Impreza Sedan would be harder to find though.(for comparable pricing, as you pay extra for the AWD.) The Civic would cost less overall.
...Like I said, I would just LOVE to have both!

Last edited:
the tests are bogus as once you add hills, the FWD will fail miserably in comparison. In the real world, go with thte 4WD

Last edited:
Back