Anyone else having battery issues?

Discussion in 'Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat' started by MissE, Dec 14, 2013.

1. the insider

the insider Well-Known Member

Vehicle Model:
    civic si
    Body Style:
    sedan
    The complaint would be "my car needs to be boosted after sitting for a couple of days...";) And for what its worth this bulletin (in Canada) expires Dec 31, 2014

2. Pauly99to17

Pauly99to17 Well-Known Member

Vehicle Model:
    2012 LX
    Body Style:
    Dyno Blue Pearl Sedan (FB2)
    Where is this update/bulletin link? :hmmm?:

3. hotdogjohnny

hotdogjohnny Well-Known Member

Vehicle Model:
    Civic Si
    Body Style:
    Sedan
    My battery barely turns over in the morning but the car fires right up. If it had to crank for very long, I'm sure I'd be toast. EVERY time I've been to the dealership (and I go there a lot for free car washes) I see at least one (always a 9th gen civic) getting its battery checked/worked on over in a special complaints area. Always thought it odd 'til mine started acting up.

4. MissE

MissE Well-Known Member

Vehicle Model:
    Civic Si w/Navi
    Body Style:
    Coupe
    This is exactly what happened today. Went in to the dealership for my battery test and came out with my 3rd battery (covered under warranty) and they also did the software update so that the alternator is properly charging the battery. My dealership doesn't think that I'll be having any more issues now, but they did say that they replaced hundred's of 2012 batteries before Honda came out with the update. I would say that a lot of other people could be affected by this and don't even know it because they either travel further distances on a daily basis (my work commute is pretty short) or live in a climate with milder weather (as in, not Eastern Canada) so they haven't had battery trouble yet.

Fingers are crossed that this solves my battery mystery once and for all! :driving:

KennyGS and webby like this.
  5. MissE

MissE Well-Known Member

Vehicle Model:
    Civic Si w/Navi
    Body Style:
    Coupe
    If it helps at all this is how it was described on my invoice...

[​IMG]

KennyGS and webby like this.
  6. Pauly99to17

Pauly99to17 Well-Known Member

Vehicle Model:
    2012 LX
    Body Style:
    Dyno Blue Pearl Sedan (FB2)
    Hmmmmmmm.......what exactly is the update?
    I have a long commute. So maybe my battery needs changing.

I'm pretty sure I have a weak battery though.
    I was surprised in the summer while doing a mod with the door open and stereo playing that the battery died. I didn't have them on for that long. WhenI turned the key there was absolutely no turn over noise at all. I actually thought my mod had screwed up the ignition wiring somehow.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2013
  7. MissE

MissE Well-Known Member

Vehicle Model:
    Civic Si w/Navi
    Body Style:
    Coupe
    That's all the info they gave me so I can't say exactly what this update was, just that it was an update of some sort, lol. But if you've had an issue then it's definitely worth calling you dealership (even if you have to slightly exaggerate your battery problem) to see if they will update it. My initial battery crapped out during a severe cold snap last winter, but the first time my 2nd battery died it was while the radio was on for a drive-in movie, and then again when the headlights were on for maybe 5 minutes max when the car wasn't running. It was only it's more recent failures (in the past 2 weeks) that could be attributed to the weather.

8. Freddiii

Freddiii Well-Known Member

Vehicle Model:
    Civic Si
    Body Style:
    Sedan
    Hmm. I'll have to look at my slip to see if they update my ecu. It feels like they did tho cuz the car runs differently.

9. Taffeta 12

Taffeta 12 Well-Known Member

Vehicle Model:
    Honda civic Si
    Body Style:
    Sedan
    Damn I've had no problems at all.. Still turns over like day one. And there's plenty of nights hanging out in the garage with friends and the civic has become the favorite "boombox" now haha..Still starts the next morning no problem.

Then again I live on the west coast and it's usually garage parked...usually.. :)

10. KennyGS

KennyGS How may I help?

Software update? Hmmmm. :think:

I wonder what exactly that means. A rewrite that ensures more power is going to the battery, but where was that power going prior, and what else might be affected by this change?

11. andre12dbsi

andre12dbsi Well-Known Member

Vehicle Model:
    '15 Acura TLX SH-AWD Tech
    Body Style:
    Sedan
    I haven't had any issues yet and we've had some chilly mornings....ok damn cold mornings. This is great info to have though. Thanks for posting the info in the update.

12. bobshur

bobshur Well-Known Member

Vehicle Model:
    2012 Civic si
    Body Style:
    Coupe
    Not anymore[​IMG]

webby and Taffeta 12 like this.
  13. Monk

Monk Well-Known Member

Vehicle Model:
    2012 Civic EX
    Body Style:
    Coupe FG3:ASM
    Looks familiar? Who, and what are the CCA's ?

14. webby
    • Staff
    • 2019 Toys For Tots

webby Administrator

Only problem being....if there really is a software update needed...it's going to kill any battery used until the update is done.

Pauly99to17 and squiggy like this.
  15. Monk

Monk Well-Known Member

Vehicle Model:
    2012 Civic EX
    Body Style:
    Some info links for ppl with voltmeters..

http://chemelec.com/Projects/Alternator/Alternator.htm

Manufacturers advise to trickle charge a nickel-based battery for 16 to 24 hours when new and after a long storage. This allows the cells to adjust to each other and bring them to an equal charge level. A slow charge also helps to redistribute the electrolyte to eliminate dry spots on the separator that might have developed by gravitation.

http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/how_to_prime_batteries

16. bobshur

Vehicle Model:
    2012 Civic si
    Body Style:
    Coupe
    good or bad freddiii?

17. Freddiii

Freddiii Well-Known Member

Vehicle Model:
    Civic Si
    Body Style:
    Sedan
    It runs heavy sometimes IMO. N the exhaust is louder.

18. bobshur

Vehicle Model:
    2012 Civic si
    Body Style:
    Coupe
    Oh I'm going to look into that,I don't want my new battery screwed up.

19. RussCB

RussCB Well-Known Member

i got tired of parking on a hill wherever i went for fear of that car not starting, sometimes fired up great sometimes slowly just barely catching,, 2 weeks ago i bit the bullet and bought a new battery (i was a month over the 2 year free replacement)

i got a letter from honda on the 24th, turns out theres a problem with the Battery Management System software misinterpreting the battery state of charge, resulting in insufficient charge cycle for the battery (kind of explains a problem i noticed in the summer where my lights would dim when id come to a stop every so often), it says there is an update available and to book an appointment asap.

also for people who have already replaced their battery like me, it came with an application for reimbursement, problem is i installed the battery myself and the app requires some pretty specific info only a shop work-order could give you, so im **** out of luck there

webby, Pauly99to17 and Monk like this.
  20. Monk

Monk Well-Known Member

Vehicle Model:
    2012 Civic EX
    Body Style: