Apartment Water Damage

Well that's the part i am unclear about. The law says they have to be ignoring. They aren't technically ignoring, but they aren't pushing the contractor to hurry up with the damn job. Apparently on Tuesday 3 different contractors came to look at stuff then they picked one based on price and stuff (I'm willing to be the cheapest possible... You know, they couldn't just hire a good one and worry about the price later considering the urgency of last weeks impending storm :rolleyes: )

Have you looked into putting your rent into an escrow. They most likely wont bs you too long. Sorry about your situation man.

Well the law here is that I can withhold rent after the following conditions are met that webby posted. Wouldn't me following that law be good enough? The situation is already slightly over my head and the escrow thing sounds complicated. That, and I don't want to spend my money trying to fix this situation. I don't have any money to spend on this crap. I cant afford a lawyer or anything either. I'm only 22 and this is my first apartment with no roommates (since June 2012). It's really disappointing because I pay more rent than most in the university area for having a somewhat nicer apartment - most in this area are student housing and/or really run down. The only problem with this apartment complex is these roofs, which they do plan to redo... Just not soon enough for me to not have experienced this situation

Contacting the authorities would at least make the problem known. Let them decide on what constitues them ignoring the situation.

So wishing I didn't renew my lease! The new lease started 3 days before the leak! I wanted a little bit nicer place but I didn't want to waste money on movers and fees/deposits just to move into another apartment, and I planned to save money this year to possibly make a down payment on a house in 2014. I would have ate that expense of another apartment had I foreseen this!

Contacting the authorities would at least make the problem known. Let them decide on what constitues them ignoring the situation.
Because I'm a reasonable person and they are "trying" I will wait. But I am tired of broken promises and I will not be pushed around in my own place of residence. Come Monday, if nothing gets fixed I will have to take some legal action.

If the mold requires tearing out more than just some drywall or it is just drywall but is going to take a while, I will ask to leave. Hopefully they will respect my proaction during this situation and the patience I have shown by only displaying slight annoyance despite being absolutely furious.

Also make them aware to the mold potential. They need to open that wall and inspect....not just patch the roof.

You wouldn't be able to probably reach anyone until monday anyway. Code enforcement in my town works totally messed up days/hours. Some says they're only open a few hours, some days they're gone by 1, no weekends,...and on and on.

Also make them aware to the mold potential. They need to open that wall and inspect....not just patch the roof.
Yeah they told me they'll look at that specifically back when I first showed them the leak. And they brought it up, I didn't even mention it. Hopefully a good sign.

You wouldn't be able to probably reach anyone until monday anyway. Code enforcement in my town works totally messed up days/hours. Some says they're only open a few hours, some days they're gone by 1, no weekends,...and on and on.
Right. You know, it's pretty ironic that my mom actually works in code enforcement... Albeit in a different county. Too bad she isn't in this county, I could probably have a bit of leverage with those inside contacts.

I talked to her about it though and she said getting code enforcement involved could elongate the process and be a hassle. She said in her county their code enforcement officers have like 14 days to respond to the complaint, and that it can be less.

At this point i'm not even worried about the damn leak. I need them to fix it Monday but i'm going to be without a closet for even longer since they'll replace drywall/paint. And that's not even accounting for the time it could take to replace any rotted structures in the wall and/or mold. If it ends up being a huge deal hopefully they let me just walk so they can take care of the problem on their own slow schedule

Last edited:
Just a heads up...mold can potentially lead to serious health problems!

Sunshine today, hopefully tomorrow too which is when the contractor supposedly will fix the leaks.

What I'm worried about now is the mold and my apartment essentially becoming a construction site while it gets fixed. I think that they may have to tear out both walls in the closet, possibly the neighbors wall behind it, the back wall of the shower, some 2x4's, etc. and that's if they even do anything... And that's only talking about the closet leak. The one in the living room will require repairs as well. I talked to my mom who is in code enforcement and she said she doesn't think there is a state regulation of black mold. AKA it might be legal that they just cover it up, which would be unacceptable.

Moving to another unit would also be unacceptable. I would have to move and set up my stuff and regardless of if they pay movers, it is a huge hassle and waste of an entire weekend of my life. Plus there are nine other buildings with leaks (they told me), so I don't feel safe moving to another unit in this complex. I also do not want to lose the intangibles that made me want to move here such as my vaulted ceilings and nature preserve view. I would not have moved here if I had to look at this place's packed and crappy looking parking lots all day.

I have another apartment I looked at before resigning my lease (only did it to save money) and that is where I want to move to if this situation turns my apartment into a construction site.

All in all, this place is overpriced for what it is and I made a mistake moving here. I didn't think it was a big enough mistake to leave though until this. I could pay $50 more a month and live down the street in a slightly nicer area with wood floors, stainless appliances, and most importantly a shingle style roof with buildings that appear to be in immaculate condition (they are also very new)

I found this -

Indoor Air Quality Complaints in Apartments and Hotels
Apartments, hotels and motels are regulated as public lodging establishments by the Florida Department of Business & Professional Regulation (DBPR), Division of Hotels and Restaurants. If you have a problem or complaint regarding any issue including sanitation and safety with these type of establishments, contact DBPR Division of Hotels and Restaurants. You may file a complaint with the DBPR call service center by phone at 850.487.1395 or online.

Landlord Tenant Issues Related to Indoor Air Quality/Mold Issues
Single family residences, duplexes, triplexes, and apartments under four units are covered under the Florida Landlord/Tenant Law. Most unresolved landlord-tenant issues related to indoor air quality or mold are best handled using the local court system. For legal information regarding this topic please contact your attorney. You may also contact Brevard County Legal Aid, Inc. at 321.631.2500.

======
See what happens with things on Monday and go from there. If you're unhappy with the prospect of them doing the repair work to the walls etc,... you need to talk to the management. They're not going to want a broken lease, but under the circumstance, they may make exceptions. You could also talk to a lawyer for advice. Many lawyers will offer a free consult to go over the situation. If nothing else, they may be able to draft something in writing relatively cheap if your complex won't let you out of the lease. They would be your best source for info.

If there are other units with tenants also experiencing leaks, and this gets ugly where lawyers are needed, perhaps everyone can bring a class action lawsuit against the owner.

Hopefully it won't have to go that far, and they'll do the right thing.

Last edited:
Here is the relevant clause in my lease (pic attached). Part C is a little unclear. Does it mean since they are trying that I can't break my lease after 7 days since giving notice? It says I may "also" exercise other statutory remedies, not instead of breaking the lease.

B is where this kinda falls since the contractor's crap schedule and weather are causing the problem to continue. Of course I haven't done A yet though because I haven't expressed my intention to leave.

If the leak is not fixed tomorrow I plan to deliver the letter referenced in the lease. I just want to make sure I follow the rules.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21370836007.050402.jpg

Last edited:
Well it is supposedly fixed today. Closet Carpet padding and wood pieces replaced and leak supposedly patched. Drywall replacement to come, pending confirmation of the leak being gone. I'm at dinner right now and it's pouring so I guess I'll see when I get home.

They said there is green board behind the shower so they don't think it will be damaged.

Back