Best coilovers for racing

cetromero

Palm Beach County, FL
Vehicle Model
SI
Body Style
Sedan
Im wondering whats the best suspension for racing. It is my DD but im not afraid of a ruff ride. I don't need a whole lot of adjust-ability just need the best set up to get me down the track as fast as possible. Drag race mostly might get into auto-cross later.

Im wondering whats the best suspension for racing. It is my DD but im not afraid of a ruff ride. I don't need a whole lot of adjust-ability just need the best set up to get me down the track as fast as possible. Drag race mostly might get into auto-cross later.

You should discuss this with @RedShiftChris. He can customize suspension setup for you.

Yeah I found that on his profile page. Lots of options. I guess I'll have to get in contact with him and talk about it thanks again

Depends on your setup. You running street tires or slicks at the track? If you want the best setup, you have to run double adjustable front shocks so you can tune both sides of the damper....they both can make a difference in how the tire grips and needs to be adjustable to meet the surface conditions. For example, you don't want to run a soft compression and stiff rebound side like many people want for the street because that allows the tire to loose traction under extreme situation...the lack of compression damping allows the tire to accelerate too fast away from the contact patch and then the high rebound un-weights the contact patch at full compression, as the momentum of the car tends to pull the front tires off the ground.

Anyway, if you want a serious drag setup, then it's one thing. If you want decent daily driver that does decently on the drag strip and has possibilities as an autocross car too, then don't worry about the compression damping too much, run a reasonably high front spring rate and as stiff a rear spring as you can stand on the street. So, for example... a 450/550 would be great... a 450/650 would be even better. Run the Koni Sports front and rear and run the front rebound adjustment around 1/2 way up with the rear wherever you like it...probably start 1/2 way and leave it until you get your launch down and then play with the rear rebound a little bit to see if it improves your launch and 2nd gear shift event.

Incidentally, the 450/550 Koni Sport setup is quite standard and would make the car a great autocross car too. :) Best of fast autocrosser, fast drag racer, and decently comfortable daily driver.

Chris

Depends on your setup. You running street tires or slicks at the track? If you want the best setup, you have to run double adjustable front shocks so you can tune both sides of the damper....they both can make a difference in how the tire grips and needs to be adjustable to meet the surface conditions. For example, you don't want to run a soft compression and stiff rebound side like many people want for the street because that allows the tire to loose traction under extreme situation...the lack of compression damping allows the tire to accelerate too fast away from the contact patch and then the high rebound un-weights the contact patch at full compression, as the momentum of the car tends to pull the front tires off the ground.

Anyway, if you want a serious drag setup, then it's one thing. If you want decent daily driver that does decently on the drag strip and has possibilities as an autocross car too, then don't worry about the compression damping too much, run a reasonably high front spring rate and as stiff a rear spring as you can stand on the street. So, for example... a 450/550 would be great... a 450/650 would be even better. Run the Koni Sports front and rear and run the front rebound adjustment around 1/2 way up with the rear wherever you like it...probably start 1/2 way and leave it until you get your launch down and then play with the rear rebound a little bit to see if it improves your launch and 2nd gear shift event.

Incidentally, the 450/550 Koni Sport setup is quite standard and would make the car a great autocross car too. :) Best of fast autocrosser, fast drag racer, and decently comfortable daily driver.

Chris

Thanks for the info I think I'm in the right direction now. I went to the track for the first time last night and the wheel hop was ridiculous scary even. So ill be doing mounts first.

Do you think you can give some links to the parts you are talking about in the 450/550 setup? Please and thank you.

Last edited:
For wheel hop, also look into the "Traction Balls" because that's a big source of wheel hop. PM sent on the links.
Cheers,
Chris
"Traction balls "? Or bars? And thanks

If traction bars. I've been looking but couldn't find any traction bars made for the 9th gen. Also I noticed your suspension kits are for 8th gens so do you modify them to fit the 9th gens?

If you're willing to guinea pig it I can suggest a traction ball alternative that won't break the bank. You will definitely want to go the traction ball route as the wheel hop is controlled by the compliance bushing in the front lower control arm. The most forward location has a large rubber bushing that lets the arm move up and down. It's number 16 on this diagram. That's where the traction ball will go.

BUSH, FR. COMPLIANCE - 2013 HONDA CIVIC SEDAN (51391TR0305)

ill2.php

I have a sort of upgraded "compliance bushing" / traction ball on my car currently. It really tightened things up a lot. However, I have an 8th gen so I do not know exactly what part to recommend you. That said, if you ordered a new one of these and measured it carefully you could probably match up to what I'm using.

The 9th gen compliance bushing part number:

(51391SNA305)

The 8th gen Compliance Bushing is the same on the Si and non-si. Part number is :
(51391SNA305)

The numbers are pretty similar. It might fit. I am running a poly bushing from Energy suspension. On the 8th gen the LCA was the same as the Acura RSX so I just bought those and pushed em in. You would have to fool around with figuring out which size bushing to try. It might be the same but it might be completely different. Just a suggestion.... not responsible for you buying the wrong one and wrecking your car, but perhaps an idea worth looking into since traction balls are like $300 and these are $50.

These are from Energy Suspension. their item number is 16.3116

13deb3cf.jpg

241b5405.jpg

36a5e381.jpg

1a3ce77e.jpg

51e5ffcc.jpg

672a95e4.jpg

And size comparison of the new bushing vs the old compliance bushing....

eed6c22f.jpg

There is also a red Prothane version out with more cutouts that would probably offer a softer ride. These things make the ride very very harsh but super tight as well.
http://www.energysuspensionparts.com/proddetail.asp?prod=8223

Last edited:
I don't like the currently available poly version because you are rotating the arm in the direction opposite what those bushings are best made for.... if they rotate radially with the bushing, then fine... but they don't. The traction balls are definitely better suited for this location. I suppose they will work, but I hate doing things that are half-assed like that..... and a poly bushing isn't meant to flex like that. It's meant to resist flexing in that direction usually.

And they are called Traction Balls and not "bars" because they are not linking the wheel to a forward subframe like the traction bars do. They are spherical bearings...thus the name "ball" and do basically the same thing.

Chris

Reactions: Nix
I don't like the currently available poly version because you are rotating the arm in the direction opposite what those bushings are best made for.... if they rotate radially with the bushing, then fine... but they don't. The traction balls are definitely better suited for this location. I suppose they will work, but I hate doing things that are half-assed like that..... and a poly bushing isn't meant to flex like that. It's meant to resist flexing in that direction usually.

And they are called Traction Balls and not "bars" because they are not linking the wheel to a forward subframe like the traction bars do. They are spherical bearings...thus the name "ball" and do basically the same thing.

Chris

OK I've just never heard of traction balls but sounds good. Do you know if the 8th gen balls will fit in the 9th gen?

The OEM Honda part numbers are really close but not exact between 8th and 9th gen... could work.... almost looks like it would, but I've never tried it; so I don't know.
Chris

OK thanks. You never answered me about your suspension systems. On you the link you sent me it says 8th gen suspension. I was wondering if you modified them to work with the 9th gens.

Back