Best Touring All-Season on TireRack: Continental TrueContact / General AltiMAX RT43 ???

waid786

New member here!

I just picked up a 2013 Civic LX with only 3,700 miles on it. I love this car but the stock Firestone Tire ride quality is really bad, IMHO. My previous car was 2000 Honda Accord LX-V6 and had several sets of Michelin Primacy MXV4 and the ride was really nice. I am thinking about replacing my Firestone Affinity Touring which are rated really low on TireRack.According to TireRack, the best Standard Touring All-Season are: Continental TrueContact and General AltiMAX RT43 (T-Rated).

I commute about 200 miles a day and need smooth comfortable riding tires. Anyone tried either of these two tires ?

Standard Touring All-Season Review
s:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/surveydisplay.jsp?type=ST

Continental TrueContact
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Continental&tireModel=TrueContact

General AltiMAX RT43 (T-Rated)
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...wall=Blackwall&partnum=965TR5AMRT43&tab=Sizes

Attachments

• Touring Tires.PNG
    Touring Tires.PNG
    107.5 KB · Views: 6
From both videos it seems like those tires were the clear winners. I'd say either one would be perfect for long distance driving. The warranty is 90k miles versus 65k on the generals if that helps in any way. In theory the conti tires should last longer.

Both these are T rated which should help over the H rated affinity. I think Continental is better reputation than General.

Thanks

The Continental True Contacts are one of the better all season tires I have tested. They really do not have a weakness.

I have the Continental True Contacts on order and should be installed on this coming Wednesday. I will post my experience.

In the past I have always gone down 1 speed rating and sacrificed little bit of handling for much better ride quality. My 2013 Civic LX uses 195/65R15-H and will have "T" rated tires. Cost for tires was $86 + $16 to mount and balance comes to $436. After $70 rebate and $30 instant rebate at discount tire, the grand total comes to $336. I have a buyer lined up for my old tires which has only 4000 miles on them for $150 so my cost comes to around $186.

Last edited:
The Continental True Contacts are one of the better all season tires I have tested. They really do not have a weakness.

What about Michelin Pilot Sport all season? I will be shopping for new tires probably in mid September.;)

What about Michelin Pilot Sport all season? I will be shopping for new tires probably in mid September.;)

But do you really need all-season?

I installed the Continental True Contacts (T-Rated) today. The tires rides much better then the H-Rated Firestones. The tires handles rough payment much much better. As expected, the softer tires don't handles as well as the H-Firestone which I don't care since I commute 120 miles per day and need comfort over handling.

Rudy, I feel slight vibrations in the car at 70 mph in the seat, center consul but not in steering. Is it because I went down from H to T speed rating ?

Thanks

Last edited:
did they balance the wheels, or did you have a shop do that?

A discount tire physical shop did it, or you bought them from discount tire's online shop ..and they did it prior to mailing? I'd have them throw the wheels back on the tire ballancing machine.

But do you really need all-season?
Huh? When I had my '13 civic si I got the pilot sport a/s 3's V rated 215/45R17. They were pretty good. Nothing to write home about but handled nicely in the wet and dry, disappointed with the noise and only got about 700 miles out of them before some dickhead 88yo ran a stop sign and pulled out across 3 lanes and scraped entire passenger side. Traded in car. Recently on '14 civic si, had bad luck and something gashed inside front drivers side tire and bent rim. Got a new rim from CHH and put pilot sport a/s 3's 225/40R18 Y rated since there is no V available. Let me tell ya sumtin'. Friggin' awesome tire. Handles supreme, especially wet, ride feels smoother than the 45 profile tire, quieter also, well quieter on smooth pavement/blacktop, louder on rough roads. Steering response is very precise and direct. Tires are so grippy I've tried making traction control come on and make car go into limp mode. Haven't done it yet. Tires ride great @ 80, like I feel I have supreme control riding on air. Can't wait to try them over 100mph and slam on brakes. They also don't squeal in the parking garages. And for a FWD car the stock suspension feels almost neutral in handling and these squeaked it a little closer. Seriously seriously contemplating a flashpro and vittune even more. Almost feel obligated. Also feel obligated to get a 24mm rear sway bar or swindle a HPD 25.4mm rear sway bar so I can drive it like I stole it and take the turns and apexes home as trophies. If anybody is considering the pilot sport a/s 3's on the '14/'15 SI do yourself a favor and skip the H rated tires and spend the extra $50-100 for the Y. You don't have to thank me. You will have to figure out how to wipe that grin off your face every turn you race through like nobody's business.

Back