Bikes!!!! (MTB, Road, etc... just no motors)

@Br3TT - What ya riding man? What sort of fork you lookin for? I am stuck with taper crowns on my current frame. If 'Spesh had just manned up and admitted my fork is junk-ish, well, when it works it can't be beat, but, reliability, eh, its she-aht .... I was going to go with a new 55 RC3 V.2 Ti it even comes in the matching white with black/red accents.

http://www.marzocchi.com/template/d...IdFolder=113&uf=SB&idSB=60688&IdOggetto=62485

I'll post a little write up on the seal change BS next week. I am a very rusty wrench.....
http://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/1531963/

aaaaand........

1jtf02.jpg

fwr9n6.jpg

Success! Maybe, I'll have to wait till morning to see if it holds air.....
4ic4g2.jpg

And both ends are done now!! Finally time to go ride!

25tu52h.jpg

If it holds then I'm attempting the wife's dhx 4.0 shock tomorrow. It was so much easier when I worked at a shop, had proper tools, and a master mechanic who would usually just do it for you. Hahahaha. Very satisfying though to do it yourself and not mess it up.

And the dhx was significantly easier to work on. Especially getting it back together.

So.... I discovered my $150 shock pump was junk. It leaked so much that I couldn't get an accurate reading on the air pressure in the shock. It also let out about 40psi every time you connect/disconnected it. Unmanageable air loss. I thought it was the shocks themselves. I diagnosed with the pump still connected, pumped shock to pressure, put the whole thing in a bucket of water. No bubbles from the shock at all. No air loss either. Suspicious.

Took one shock and the pump to the LBS and ended up with a $10 model and it works great! My rebuilds were a success and both hold air perfectly for days at a time now!

I then found online afterwards people saying the pump had a defect and would surface after about year of use. It's well known to the company and they basically told everyone, yea, we fixed that on the new ones. Warranty or replacement parts? Nah, they said, just buy a new one! Pssshffftt! $150 wasn't enough the first time? They got an earful.

Fixies scare me. Hahahah. I might be riding to work a couple days next week. I haven't seen a bike rack around there yet though. I'm a bit nervous as I don't have a "beater" or any type of commuter bike. I guess I'll just have to cover the S-works sticker and hope for the best. I've got a couple beasty locks but still..... I don't think anyone will even know what they are looking at anyway. Most bike junkies don't even notice, which is a nice plus.

Fixies scare me. Hahahah. I might be riding to work a couple days next week. I haven't seen a bike rack around there yet though. I'm a bit nervous as I don't have a "beater" or any type of commuter bike. I guess I'll just have to cover the S-works sticker and hope for the best. I've got a couple beasty locks but still..... I don't think anyone will even know what they are looking at anyway. Most bike junkies don't even notice, which is a nice plus.

That's awesome. Sucks that so many intentionally make bikes look not worth stealing though.

I used to have a mercer kilo that I made to look like it was a garage sale bike only because I would lock it up in quite possibly the worst place I could leave it alone.

Got past that job location, and thankfully now can ride something worth looking twice at.

Fixie was scary as hell at first to ride, but after a week or so I got used to it. And to be honest there is no other feeling like it once you're comfortable. I can only equate it to possibly open road no helmet on a motorbike, first thing in the am, a bit of mildew in the air, and sun starting to come up. Makes you feel happy to be there and alone to enjoy it.

Honestly. Worth the few hundred to set up a fixie if you enjoy your time alone.

Reactions: Nix
I have had very good luck with pedals from Xpedo. (haha ex-pedo)

They have a flat stepped pin design that I think grips shoes much better than those sharp narrow pin designs. I didn't think they would work that great but one ride and I was a convert. They make some funky high end really thin designs that are super lightweight but my favorite is their $80 MX Force 3. Most of their pedals are around that price.

http://www.xpedo.com/products/pedals/platform/100/mx-force-3

They are on most of my bikes that run flats. They are fairly light, not ridiculously expensive, grip is awesome, and they have held up very very well. The platform is nice and big so it's easy to stand on. I didn't like some of those weird thin designs. Its sort of personal preference though. They are fully rebuildable too. If you wreck the bearings, which is hard to do, its $40 for a spindle and bearing kit.

31802915.jpg

Oh man, I totally forgot about my old standard........ The Sun Ringle Zuzu pedals! The original affordable sealed bearing platform. It has the narrow thin pin design but man, I used ot be able to pick these up for $30. You can find them for $50-ish now. It's half the price of the Xpedo/Azonics. Not as fancy but a damn good pedal if you're on a budget. I ran these for years. I didn't even know if they were still making them. That's how old they are.

http://www.amazon.com/Sun-Ringle-Zu...443163&sr=1-1&keywords=sun+ringle+zuzu+pedals

Not fancy, not blingy, just damn solid pedals with sealed bearings. These will tear your legs up if you slip one though. Hence why I like the less sharp pin on the Xpedo.

zuzu-pedals-624x624.png

Just my thoughts on the remote drop posts....

I thought dropper posts were a gimmick until I got one. It came standard on my bike and initially I was going to swap it out cause I thought they were stupid.

A couple rides later and I love the thing. Its awesome.

Just my thoughts on the remote drop posts....

I thought dropper posts were a gimmick until I got one. It came standard on my bike and initially I was going to swap it out cause I thought they were stupid.

A couple rides later and I love the thing. Its awesome.
What kind is on your bike? How's it held up? Seems the most common thing is excessive play in cheap ones..idk if that would bug me having the seat moving slightly when I'm climbing or something.

Back